Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Dec 31, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #947 of 1,858
While a Lipo has no memory.
It is not good to leave the batteries fully charged for long periods of time.
Meaning do not fully charge and put away for storage.
If this is the Intent let it be almost at red.
Now this is a practice used for all Rc type batteries.
And should be followed for all lipo batteries including iur power tools and phones.
Lastly any battery only has a limited amount of charges say about 500 to 1000 depending on the use
So don't charge the hugo if not need. This will prolong the battery life.
Hope this helps.

Al

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #948 of 1,858
Thanks Rob & Al for the clarification!

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #949 of 1,858
some truly electrifying post today... almost as exciting as receiving some Final Audio Design Pandora VI's & Heir 8.0's today... Hugo & ZX1 fully charged & raring to go...
tongue_smile.gif

Happy New Year Head-Fi'ers & Hugo'istas ...
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #950 of 1,858
All the best of health and happiness for the new year to I come.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #952 of 1,858
Hey guys. Does ur chord Hugo colour fade or peel off? The colour on my silver Hugo is starting to peel...

Could you post a picture perhaps? My Hugo is fine, but I only have it for a week or two...
All the best of health and happiness for the new year to I come.

+1, and may it be a nice head-fi year also!

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #954 of 1,858
Honestly I have mine in back pack with a bunch of other stuff. I did realize it was paint. It looks like brushed alum to me.
What did you do to gouge it like that ??

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #956 of 1,858
Hey guys. Does ur chord Hugo colour fade or peel off? The colour on my silver Hugo is starting to peel...

fingers crossed mine has not peeled yet. Although I have a lot of dusts in the main window since new.
the other day I saw a new unit from another vendor without dust and it looked spectacular!
If you're in Bangkok, never buy from Jet Audio. You will get dusty new units and poor RMA services where 90% of the time, the owner will ignore your emails.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #957 of 1,858
Is the following information correct?

Quote:
Lastly any battery only has a limited amount of charges say about 500 to 1000 depending on the use
So don't charge the hugo if not need. This will prolong the battery life.

Because...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

"One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true—Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery."

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/chord-faq.asp#7

"Yes you can leave Hugo plugged into the charger. When the batteries are fully charged it will enter a low current trickle charging mode protecting the batteries from excessive charge. To prolong battery life, and enhance sound quality by isolating the Hugo from the external charging circuit, Hugo employs a sophisticated battery charge and maintenance system. If Hugo is left on without any charger connected, the batteries will be totally exhausted. Connecting the charger starts a battery recalibration cycle that might take several tens of minutes - then the LED will light and normal charging and operation will commence. This is quite normal and does not mean that the batteries are damaged”

BTW,
beerchug.gif

& and an electri(head)fying Happy New Year to all.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #958 of 1,858

Because...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

"One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true—Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery."

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/chord-faq.asp#7

"Yes you can leave Hugo plugged into the charger. When the batteries are fully charged it will enter a low current trickle charging mode protecting the batteries from excessive charge. To prolong battery life, and enhance sound quality by isolating the Hugo from the external charging circuit, Hugo employs a sophisticated battery charge and maintenance system. If Hugo is left on without any charger connected, the batteries will be totally exhausted. Connecting the charger starts a battery recalibration cycle that might take several tens of minutes - then the LED will light and normal charging and operation will commence. This is quite normal and does not mean that the batteries are damaged”

BTW,
beerchug.gif

& and an electri(head)fying Happy New Year to all.

thanks for this. even though this is well known among us gagdet-head, I still hear people give 'never charge your phone until the battery runs out completely' advice. I keep my lithium-battery gadget topped up all the time. My batteries are still very much efficient after several years of usage. I have a set of batteries from 6 years ago for my camera that never runs out. A friend of mine who bought the batteries about the same time, went through couple of sets already in the past 6 years. We are both amateur photographers so our usage is pretty much the same, except I religiously topped all my batteries while he only charge the day before going out for a shoot. Same with my phone, 2.5 years later, mine still last through out the day while my wife, an 13 months phone barely made it through the afternoon.

So my Hugo stays plugged!

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #960 of 1,858
So it is more likely he just scratched the casing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back