Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Dec 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #917 of 1,858
  Tempted by the iPhone6+ - any one using it with Hugo with the Onkyo app for 24bit?  I regularly use streaming services like Spotify and Qobuz so an iPhone would make sense as an all in one transport...

I use an iPhone 6 and it works great with Onkyo HF Player. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #918 of 1,858
I use an iPhone 6 and it works great with Onkyo HF Player. 

Snap. For comparison, the iPhone 6 with the Onkyo HF Player and Hugo sound noticeably better than the AK120ii I've had for the weekend (either AK by itself of strapped to Onkyo HA200, or even with the Hugo - the latter to my surprise).

The Onkyo software makes a real impact, getting more fidelity out of tracks bought from HDTracks and loaded onto the iPhone than the Astell can manage with same tracks loaded.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #919 of 1,858
Snap. For comparison, the iPhone 6 with the Onkyo HF Player and Hugo sound noticeably better than the AK120ii I've had for the weekend (either AK by itself of strapped to Onkyo HA200, or even with the Hugo - the latter to my surprise).

The Onkyo software makes a real impact, getting more fidelity out of tracks bought from HDTracks and loaded onto the iPhone than the Astell can manage with same tracks loaded.

I never AB'd the iPhone with my AK120 (first version). But there's no way I can have near so much music even on the 128GB iPhone. My AK120 has 448GB of storage. It's slow but it's nice to have choices on the go. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #920 of 1,858
I never AB'd the iPhone with my AK120 (first version). But there's no way I can have near so much music even on the 128GB iPhone. My AK120 has 448GB of storage. It's slow but it's nice to have choices on the go. 

Totally agree Sam. I just got the old 120 Titan for exactly those reasons (i prefer it to the AK120ii). A small DAP with loads of storage means much more music to choose from out and about, and less hassle than strapping a phone to another box. I'll still take the phone / Hugo combo on the plane though, or listen to it at home (I don't have a posh desktop rig).

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #921 of 1,858
I don't know, the Hugo is pretty damn posh in my book. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #922 of 1,858
  I don't know, the Hugo is pretty damn posh in my book. 

Hugo Spice... not just for posh Wannabe's...
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #923 of 1,858
^ ^ ^
I'm glad you edited your post. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #924 of 1,858
Feeding my DIY kit home amp that is transistor based on Richard Marsh's work. Great open, dynamic and wonderful contrasts in tone. Great fun with the Hugo being fed by the DX90 and listening with the HE-560's. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #925 of 1,858
I am planning to buy a cable to connect my iPhone to the Chord. However, what kind of a connecter do I need? Since this is not really described in the manual (it only says OTG-cable, which comes in Mini-A, Mini-B and Micro-B with the same angles) I am struggeling to find the right cable.

Which one do I need? Mini-A, Mini-B or Micro-B?

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #926 of 1,858
iPhone > Apple Camera Connection Kit > USB-Micro USB cable > HD (micro) USB input on Chord.
Input indicator bulb inside the Chord should be set to show "white" colour (actually has a very pale bluish/greenish tint to it).

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #927 of 1,858
  I am planning to buy a cable to connect my iPhone to the Chord. However, what kind of a connecter do I need? Since this is not really described in the manual (it only says OTG-cable, which comes in Mini-A, Mini-B and Micro-B with the same angles) I am struggeling to find the right cable.

Which one do I need? Mini-A, Mini-B or Micro-B?

Found this with a quick google. Don't have an iphone so can't comment.
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/chord-faq.asp#10

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #928 of 1,858
Awesome, I could not find it in the manual but forget the look at the FAQ. It is a Micro-B plug then. Would something like plug in this picture work with the standard usb lightening cable? 

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #929 of 1,858
No you need the actual official Apple Camera adapter kit (assuming you want to play higher res music on the iPhone), which at one end is a Lightning (or old 30-pin plug with an adapter), and at the other end is female USB. Then u get any old male USB to micro USB cable to connect the camera kit to the Chord.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #930 of 1,858
Thanks for clarification, no highrez music without the official Apple camera adapter kit it is... I will get a small usb to micro usb also. No custom LOD cable then for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back