Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Dec 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #934 of 1,858
It sounds pretty good from iPhones.
Although it is marginally better.With a ak240.
No big deal better. But a good desktop counterpart is better still.
My iBasso dap is about the same as the iPhone. But no dsd output.
But it does play dsd files.
Many others on here have other daps they use. Jamato88 is an admin and I truly trust his info. He helped find the onkyo hd app.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #935 of 1,858
Hello Team,
one of the functions of Hugo is to charge its built in batteries while turned off.
I'm interested to know if the adapter itself will draw power from the batteries if connected to Hugo but unplugged from the wall socket in these 2 conditions (when Hugo plays music and when it's turned off).

Best Regards and
Happy Holidays

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #936 of 1,858
Yes you still need CCK but some cable makers like Paul Pang does lightning to micro usb cables specifically for the Hugo.

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.sg/2013/07/usb-cable.html?m=1

I'm actually very curious to know if bypassing the CCK yields any sonic improvements.

Thanks for the tip. I did not notice this specific cable on Paul his blog site. Could be interesting indeed. His digital cables are among the best I have heard. I use the red usb,sata and aes cables in my main rig. I hope it is possible to get a cable with a size of just a few centimeters. A cable of 1m. is not something I am interested in for this portable setup.
I will send him an email to ask if you still can play dsd and other high rez from an iphone to the Hugo without the CCK.

Hello Team,
one of the functions of Hugo is to charge its built in batteries while turned off.
I'm interested to know if the adapter itself will draw power from the batteries if connected to Hugo but unplugged from the wall socket in these 2 conditions (when Hugo plays music and when it's turned off).

Best Regards and
Happy Holidays

I honestly do not know but it seems to me that if there is nothing connected to the wallplug there is no "circuit" so no power will be drawn.

Anyway, I just bought a CCK to try my iPhone with the Hugo and also ordered the original brown leather case which will arrive tomorrrow.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #937 of 1,858
It was a question more to someone knowing the circuits or the designer himself.
I also have jkdac32 and if I remember correctly, there John Kenny stated that if the charger is plugged to the dac and unplugged from the wall, it will drain the batteries, wanted to know what's the situation with hugo.

Best Regards and
Happy Holidays

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #938 of 1,858
I also have jkdac32 and if I remember correctly, there John Kenny stated that if the charger is plugged to the dac and unplugged from the wall, it will drain the batteries, wanted to know what's the situation with hugo.

Best Regards and
Happy Holidays

Ah I misunderstood you. I hope Rob Watts can tell us something about it. Interesting question.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #939 of 1,858

Best Regards and
Happy Holidays

No it can't - the first layer of protection is an input diode (to protect Hugo's internal charger circuit if somebody plugged a PSU that was negative). This diode means that current will only flow into Hugo, not out of it.

There is also a regulator too, that protects the Hugo's internal charger from over voltage. And another Zener diode that protects the regulator from voltage spikes that would damage the regulator! I was paranoid about over voltage damaging the batteries, hence the several layers of protection. 

Rob 

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #940 of 1,858
  No it can't - the first layer of protection is an input diode (to protect Hugo's internal charger circuit if somebody plugged a PSU that was negative). This diode means that current will only flow into Hugo, not out of it.

There is also a regulator too, that protects the Hugo's internal charger from over voltage. And another Zener diode that protects the regulator from voltage spikes that would damage the regulator! I was paranoid about over voltage damaging the batteries, hence the several layers of protection. 

Rob 

Glad you were/are :^), paranoid. Your initial precautions are normal, with the diode, your further implementation is thinking out possible scenarios and enhances the life expectancy of an already great product. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #942 of 1,858
Yes you still need CCK but some cable makers like Paul Pang does lightning to micro usb cables specifically for the Hugo.

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.sg/2013/07/usb-cable.html?m=1

I'm actually very curious to know if bypassing the CCK yields any sonic improvements.

Am quite sure this would be recycling the security chips and parts from official Apple cables. So it is not bypassing anything other than to make it a combined all-in-one cable at a custom length

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #943 of 1,858
  Has anyone every use Hugo with UERM or UE18Pro (customs, not demo universal)?

I love the UERM with the Hugo. Amazing combo. Incredibly clean and precise. If you want to know what's on the recording you will have no questions with this combo.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #945 of 1,858
That makes sense. I do see that minus the stock CCK cable and connector may give slightly better sound overall.

I am thinking the same, I might order one if Paul can deliver a length under 1m.

Rob 

Always nice to see to what length the designer went to supply us with the best security for our beloved Hugo :).

I was wondering if there is anything known about the best practices for charging. Is it better to only charge when the red light starts blinking? Or is it also save for the batterylife to charge when it is like half full? Or does it not matter at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back