Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #902 of 1,858
Posted this on the other Hugo thread, but in the spirit of Xmas thought I'd make some picture/wallpapers of the beautiful black Hugo... This one has the Heir 8.0's, but have another one to come with the awesome Rhapsodio RTi1's :) ... Merry Xmas Headfiersssss. :D

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #903 of 1,858
today i tried the included Toslink cable. To my surprise the included toslink cable sounded better than RCA nordost valhalla and RCA synergistic CTS. Both cables cost same as hugo but free tousling cable was better. Anyone else have the same experience. I am using PS audio transport as source.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #904 of 1,858
  today i tried the included Toslink cable. To my surprise the included toslink cable sounded better than RCA nordost valhalla and RCA synergistic CTS. Both cables cost same as hugo but free tousling cable was better. Anyone else have the same experience. I am using PS audio transport as source.

Well done optical has some advantages. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #905 of 1,858
I just bought the Y&B to optical setup by Corning.
I have not had a chance to try it.
The pwt I own never did sound that good as a transport to me
But with the Hugo it was as good as it gets.
Enjoy

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #906 of 1,858
I have been going on for many years that simple plastic fibre optical was the best sounding. Indeed, Chord used to get criticised for recommending it - how can you be an audiophile and prefer that? Part of the problem is confusion on the warmth that optical gives - reduce RF noise, you will get less noise floor modulation, and noise floor modulation spices the sound up - its audio's MSG. It is easy to confuse a brighter balance as if it had more detail resolution - but its just noise floor modulation.

The reason people say that optical is worse is jitter - but when I measured jitter on the audio precision, cheap plastic Toslink had lower measured jitter than coaxial. Not that jitter is a problem anyway with Hugo, you can have 2uS worth of source jitter and Hugo's DPLL will just eliminate it.

Rob 

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #907 of 1,858
Clemmaster also commented how good the Adnaco optical USB was, the source must have USB 3.0

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650256/jkenny-audio-ci-nas-dac-and-ci-nas-spdif/585

Something like this could work for a reasonably transportable setup, minimum custom length for optical USB should be half a meter

T18PpmFohbXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

548fe6ddcd7b9.jpg

548fe6e4c73a1.jpg

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #908 of 1,858
  I have been going on for many years that simple plastic fibre optical was the best sounding. Indeed, Chord used to get criticised for recommending it - how can you be an audiophile and prefer that? Part of the problem is confusion on the warmth that optical gives - reduce RF noise, you will get less noise floor modulation, and noise floor modulation spices the sound up - its audio's MSG. It is easy to confuse a brighter balance as if it had more detail resolution - but its just noise floor modulation.

The reason people say that optical is worse is jitter - but when I measured jitter on the audio precision, cheap plastic Toslink had lower measured jitter than coaxial. Not that jitter is a problem anyway with Hugo, you can have 2uS worth of source jitter and Hugo's DPLL will just eliminate it.

Rob 

Oh nice to know that i was not alone. Thanks Rob. Yes its shocking how good the Hugo is with this configuration. So my next obvious question is do different Toslink cables sound different?

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #909 of 1,858
Last time I did the test between glass and plastic with 44.1 kHz, I could not hear the difference. But - if you use 192 kHz, with the supplied 0.25 m plastic cable, it works, assuming the optical transmitter on the source is good enough. But 1 m plastic and the attenuation is too great to make it work, so then you need low loss glass fibre. So if it works with all the music you have, I would not bother replacing it with low loss glass fibre. Its a shame that Toslink is not available for 384 kHz.

Rob 

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #910 of 1,858
Two more battery-powered Windows 8.1 portable computers that are pretty good for Hugo on the road:

GULEEK i8

Vensmile iPC002

Simply install foobar2000 and corresponding remote apps on our Android / iOS devices, then we could control foobar2000 via Wi-Fi

549d25b930282.jpg

549d25bc5d042.jpg

549d25c055389.jpg

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #911 of 1,858
Tempted by the iPhone6+ - any one using it with Hugo with the Onkyo app for 24bit?  I regularly use streaming services like Spotify and Qobuz so an iPhone would make sense as an all in one transport...

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #912 of 1,858
  Tempted by the iPhone6+ - any one using it with Hugo with the Onkyo app for 24bit?  I regularly use streaming services like Spotify and Qobuz so an iPhone would make sense as an all in one transport...

That's what I do

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #914 of 1,858

Cool. And you find the SQ good? No issue with interference?

Well I guess it's just a transport- so same as any other iPhone in that regard. I don't use Spotify and the like though, just the Onkyo App, HD. No issues with interference.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #915 of 1,858
I have an iPhone 6 and a 6 plus. It's fine with both. Just stay away froma n iPod period it's abdiwn grade in sound woth fhe Hugo.
Even my hdpr10 is Above it's sound.
As is a ak240 combo as well.
There is some thing with the iPods disgutal output
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back