CHORD HUGO preview report
Jan 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #61 of 519
Here is a Walkman-iFI chart but I think Hugo would be the same. You need a male adapter.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GQO0AgO3sTQ/UsWmeX0B0HI/AAAAAAAAAWc/z7vgX6Q9BzE/s1600/Hi-Res+WM_nano+iDSD_nano+iCAN.jpg

Sasaki you're lucky guy... a great interview and was a great help in 'trying' to understand the technical side of things, well done.

I wonder if you could possibly help regarding connecting the Sony ZX1 or F886/7 Walkman's to the Chord Hugo... I have this WM-Port>Female USB connector which is meant to allow for connection to a exterior DAC... if you could advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #64 of 519
I am wondering (and wishing) if this forray into the portable world is not a first step before introducing the best sounding DAP on the planet...I might get this but would prefer an integrated solution.

+1 on this. I was thinking a getting a high capacity transport, then connect it with Hugo but if they will implement a all in one solution, why not wait for it? Of course, they wouldn't tell us: Hey don't buy Hugo, we will release a dap version of Hugo in 2 years...

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #66 of 519
further to Sasaki answers to questions I have these from my contact at Chord:

To answer the Hugo questions:-

Yes it will easily drive 600 ohm headphones.

The output voltage and current is more than enough for most people to listen at very high levels.

The volume is controlled via a clear ball on the unit... this is illuminated and changes colour as you change the volume so dark red for low volume all the way through the rainbow colour spectrum until you get to white.

There is no remote control.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #67 of 519

+1 on this. I was thinking a getting a high capacity transport, then connect it with Hugo but if they will implement a all in one solution, why not wait for it? Of course, they wouldn't tell us: Hey don't buy Hugo, we will release a dap version of Hugo in 2 years...

I can see the likes of Mimo, Rudi & Zero waiting a couple of years for a new DAP... didn't Hell freeze over yesterday?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #68 of 519

I can see the likes of Mimo, Rudi & Zero waiting a couple of years for a new DAP... didn't Hell freeze over yesterday?

lol
happy_face1.gif
They have enough toys to wait I guess. As for me, I rather buy once and use it for long years. I am kind of immune to upgraditis (well my financial status has an effect too
happy_face1.gif
)

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #69 of 519
Very interesting, will be keeping an eye on this.

I guess this product tells me I really do care more about sound than aesthetics, because I'm strongly considering this despite the unit looking as ugly as sin to my eyes.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #70 of 519
Hi all, thank you for the comments.

> I believe that the i compatible USB imput of the HUGO is limited to 16 bits/44 kHz ??

Yes hires USB input requires a custom driver so you can not install it on iPads.

Screw iPads, I can do 24-bit out of my Androids with Ultimate Audio Player Pro - is this only set up to do 16-bit over the USB input?

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #71 of 519

Screw iPads, I can do 24-bit out of my Androids with Ultimate Audio Player Pro - is this only set up to do 16-bit over the USB input?

HUGO seems fantastic, but... ruined by the fact that there are no real PORTABLE transporter capable to play 24/96 through USB.

We need an iPAD or Android pad/player that can stream 24/96 TO the HUGO.  Any suggestion for the BEST transport to connect to the HUGO (With more than 128 Gb capacity)

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #72 of 519
  What we need is a good dap with high capacity and coax out and you are set for a long time I guess, no need to upgrade things every 6 months.

X5 comes to my mind first. Dual micro sd card slots are nice.

Anyone knows whether Sony ZX1 has digital out or not? I think with special cable you can connect it to Hugo and use Hugo's dac/amp section.

May be but would'n you feel limited by the 128 Gb max capacity of the SONY ? ? 

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #73 of 519
I actually like the looking, plain simple, will do the task, not like clown business.

I am seriously considering, after a transport, I can start saving for this, I am afraid it will take longer than what I saved for SE5way though.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #75 of 519

HUGO seems fantastic, but... ruined by the fact that there are no real PORTABLE transporter capable to play 24/96 through USB.

We need an iPAD or Android pad/player that can stream 24/96 TO the HUGO.  Any suggestion for the BEST transport to connect to the HUGO (With more than 128 Gb capacity)

FiiO X5? Dual micro sd card slots, plus USB OTG feature, you can connect extra micro sd card with meenova or directly connect external hard drives. Also with the 128gb micro sd cards, you can get a huge upgrade. (hoping that they will work with the current generation daps etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back