CHORD HUGO preview report
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #76 of 519
  I actually like the looking, plain simple, will do the task, not like clown business.

I am seriously considering, after a transport, I can start saving for this, I am afraid it will take longer than what I saved for SE5way though.

yes, but... which transport ?? We really need a 256 Gb or even 512 Gb PORTABLE transport, without DAC & AMP, but with a really good UI, and Coax or Tosh link out. !!  A "nano AURENDER "
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #77 of 519

FiiO X5? Dual micro sd card slots, plus USB OTG feature, you can connect extra micro sd card with meenova or directly connect external hard drives. Also with the 128gb micro sd cards, you can get a huge upgrade. (hoping that they will work with the current generation daps etc.)

Does meenova (or a similar solution) works also with  iPAD ?  and how do you connect external HD to it ??

And...

if you use MENOVA, then...the USB port of the android device is not available anymore to connect the android device to the HUGO 8??

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #78 of 519
  what is meenova ?  and how do you connect external HD to it ??

You need a device with USB OTG feature (many Android phones, some daps like DX50, DX90, X5 etc). Then you buy this: http://www.meenova.com/ You can put micro sd card in it and your dap will see it as a external storage. So basically you will have 3 micro sd slots with X5.

Edit: It is darn cheap and a very small thing. I am definitely going to buy, if I settle on X5 or DX90.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #79 of 519

yes, but... which transport ?? We really need a 256 Gb or even 512 Gb PORTABLE transport, without DAC & AMP, but with a really good UI, and Coax or Tosh link out. !!  A "nano AURENDER "
biggrin.gif

X5, coax out. Will do the job for me when I want to go light (stand alone X5) and whenever I am okay to carry a small bag with me, it will be a nice transport I believe.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #80 of 519
what is the max possible capacity with an X5 ? 

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #81 of 519
  what is the max possible capacity with an X5 ? 

Dual micro sd slots : Currently 128, in the future it might be 256

+

USB OTG feature: This part is up to you, you can connect another micro sd slot with meenova or you can buy HDD and connect it to your X5, probably it supports up to 1 TB, but for the moment nobody tested it yet.

Keep in mind that connecting a HDD might reduce the battery a bit since they are not self powered.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #82 of 519
While I am studying Hugo, I stumble upon this :

Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp - coming Jan 2014..

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=92

Now I am really excited this year, with Fio X5, Chord Hugo, Macintosh headphone amp and now this... I am going to be very poor in 2014.

chord-pics-7.jpg

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #86 of 519
The Hugo will be available in my part of the world at the end of February.. and that feels like a h*** of a long time at the moment..

But i guess.. good things come to those who wait.. right?! I really hope so! :)

Anyone that will get it earlier?
Anyone that know what will be in the box? Cables and stuff?

I feel that i really need this DAC/Amp now..! Can't wait!

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #87 of 519
Sasaki-san,

Thanks for all the info - since you are one of the few people who have had some time with the Hugo - how does it compare to:

a) Have you had a comparison with Chord's other DACs?
b) Compared to other larger "non-portable" DAC's? (e.g. Weiss, Berkeley Alpha, Meitner MA-1)...

I'm expecting a good DAC - reference class would be fantastic but not really expecting that for the money.
Reference class IMHO would be things like the EMM Labs DAC2x, DCS stack ...

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #88 of 519
Another (trans)portable solution from Chord :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #89 of 519
I have asked Chord about the Hugo and here is what they say about iDevices, resolution and the "HD USB port" that "needs" a Windows driver:

"On the iPhone and iPad we use various apps but in particular Flac player and AmpliFlac work well providing all your music is in Flac format. Both these bypass the internal DAC inside the iPhone/iPad so you can natively play FLAC files up to 192KHz into Hugo. This means that finally you can use the Apple products as a high quality source for high definition playback.
I will certainly ask for the website and the marketing material to be changed so this point is made as it is very important step forward.

No driver is required for Apple or Android devices but Windows devices still require a driver to be loaded before you can use Hugo. This is a limitation of the Windows operating system to allow it to play anything above 96KHz."

But to do so you will need the Camera Connection Kit and a USB to micro USB lead.

Chord supply a TOSlink cable and micro USB to standard USB in two lengths with the Hugo, so you just need the CCK, a iDevice and iOS 7 to make it work.

This DAC/AMP seems to be very capable even for iDevices.. the only problem seems to be the storage capasity.

Hmm.. if only my 128 GB iPad Mini Retina could support SD cards.. :rolleyes:

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #90 of 519
I guess this is called cross posting, but this may belong in this thread as well?

I have asked Chord about the Hugo and here is what they say about iDevices, resolution and the "HD USB port" that "needs" a Windows driver:

"On the iPhone and iPad we use various apps but in particular Flac player and AmpliFlac work well providing all your music is in Flac format. Both these bypass the internal DAC inside the iPhone/iPad so you can natively play FLAC files up to 192KHz into Hugo. This means that finally you can use the Apple products as a high quality source for high definition playback.
I will certainly ask for the website and the marketing material to be changed so this point is made as it is very important step forward.

No driver is required for Apple or Android devices but Windows devices still require a driver to be loaded before you can use Hugo. This is a limitation of the Windows operating system to allow it to play anything above 96KHz."

But to do so you will need the Camera Connection Kit and a USB to micro USB lead.

Chord supply a TOSlink cable and micro USB to standard USB in two lengths with the Hugo, so you just need the CCK, a iDevice and iOS 7 to make it work.

This DAC/AMP seems to be very capable even for iDevices.. the only problem seems to be the storage capasity.

Hmm.. if only my 128 GB iPad Mini Retina could support SD cards.. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back