CHORD HUGO preview report
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #31 of 519
Analogue Seduction (UK) have quoted an RRP of £1,195 to me and expect supply in February. So it may be financially advantageous to import a Hugo, especially as USA residents don't face the punitive import taxes that we do - typically 30% of the items value on goods costing more than £15 ($24).

smial1966 I had not, but it appears that this is the route I will take, especially if it proves to be more feasible and economical. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #32 of 519
I'm curious how this will compare to the Meridian Prime, given that both these British companies have excellent pedigree in the fullsize hi-fi DAC and Amplifier segments.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #34 of 519
  The Chord Qute EX DAC is getting rave reviews, lots of info over on computeraudiophile.com ; if the Hugo has that level of DAC performance (it actually claims to be higher), this could be be quite the game changer.

My thoughts exactly! And I am really hoping that it is true!

It sounds logically given the input we have got from Sasaki, Chord and Qute DAC reviews, complimented by Sasaki's interview with Chord's founder John Franks.
And I WANT to believe it is a game changer. I just hope that I do not get disappointed.

I believe it to be a game changer that much that I have tracked down the nearest re-seller, and am awaiting price information and a delivery date.
But I would like to hear it first.. it is a lot of money.. but if it is as good as they claim.. it is absolutely worth it!
If not.. ahh.. please get this negative thought out of my head!! 
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #35 of 519
Analogue Seduction (UK) have quoted an RRP of £1,195 to me and expect supply in February. So it may be financially advantageous to import a Hugo, especially as USA residents don't face the punitive import taxes that we do - typically 30% of the items value on goods costing more than £15 ($24).

Thank you smial1966 for the recommendation! I will most definitely use that distributor, also the shipping cost should only be around 40-50 dollars.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #36 of 519
  I'm curious how this will compare to the Meridian Prime, given that both these British companies have excellent pedigree in the fullsize hi-fi DAC and Amplifier segments.

I was curious of this as well as it peeked my interest. However the Prime turns me off that in it "needs" a $1200 psu, and only comes with in my opinion a cheap wall wart for such a unit.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #38 of 519
I believe the prime dac doesn't do DSD, i want a future proof DAC some thing that covers all format currently known in the market and also it is not portable but limited to home. I need a good sounding gear in the go, i like to listen to my music while i am relaxing somewhere outdoor.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #40 of 519
I've owned the original Chord64 which I snagged off ebay for less than $800 a moon ago I didn't think too fondly of it as the sound was just not up to snuff of what I liked, if the Hugo offers better performance and since I'm shopping for a portable all in one then consider me interested.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #41 of 519
Guys, I have a noob question, I haven't read the whole thread yet. Just a quick question: RCA Coaxial input means we can pair it with daps with Coaxial output right? Like DX50, X5 etc?

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #43 of 519
Yes that is correct.

Well, now you made me daaaaaaamn interested mate. I know I won't be able to purchase this right away but I like the connectivity options. Hifi M8 lacks coaxial input and that was a bummer for me since I don't use iDevice and iriver daps. Now we have some serious ultimate transportable dac/amp. Count me in, it might be my next purchase after getting a dap, a most likely FiiO X5.

For the days I am willing to carry a small bag with me, X5+Hugo and for the days I just want to go light, X5 is alone would be sufficient. Also, it will bring job to my home too apparently.

Me likey
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #44 of 519
What is exciting is coaxial supports DXD but now the only problem is finding DAP that have firmware that do DXD out. Technically it works , toslink is limited to 24/192 where as coxial is not. That solves the need to have software for USB.

But keep in mind we still do not know if the coaxial input support of DXD is infact enabled by chord. We know chord has conformed DXD works with USB, rest I guess we know with time.

I want to buy it and if I sale a few and put my first CIEM purchase on hold I can afford it but I know if things dont work out the way I want it sadly it will ruin the entire hobby for me as the damage is far over my current limit of 600 USD. 

Would have loved to use the excuse to take one for the team to purchase this item but I have to wait this one out, sadly. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #45 of 519
For me 24/192 is enough actually so I should be covered?

Also, do you think there will be sound/power differences between 3.5mm jack and 6.3mm jack outputs? Some people reported on HDP R10 (Japenese DX100) has slight differences between big and small headphone outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back