Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD
Aug 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #76 of 114
  Anyone know which is generally regarded as being the better input on the QBD 76, optical or coax?

BNC 75ohm Coax if signal is from a good quality CD Transporter.    Optical from a Mac Book Pro via phono jack.    USB if from a standard PC. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #78 of 114
BNC 75ohm Coax if signal is from a good quality CD Transporter.    Optical from a Mac Book Pro via phono jack.    USB if from a standard PC. 
Thanks. Got a good deal on the old bluetooth model. I'll be hooking up a Cyrus CD transport and an Auralic Aries.
hi m8,I've been using a using a cyrus se2 transport with a psx-r with the qbd76.ive tried 2 cables with it,a supernova 7 optical cable and a chord anthem digital tuned aray coax.I ended up using the supernova 7 optical cable to my ears it sounded slightly better but it was close. I've just had a good deal on a chord blu transport and am experimenting cables with it.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #79 of 114
Thanks. Got a good deal on the old bluetooth model. I'll be hooking up a Cyrus CD transport and an Auralic Aries.

Try and find a second hand Chord Electronics Blu CD Transporter or if you can afford it a new one as this Transporter is the best match for the QBD76 DAC running dual 88kHz signals into the QBD76 and I think the best sound compared to all other inputs into the QBD76 even hi-res files.   

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #82 of 114
Are you using RCA-BNC adapters and if so which ones?

I've also just realised the Aries has an AES output. Anyone used that?
Atlas make rca-bnc adapters,their about £18 for 2 and their the best I've ever used;got them from hifi lounge by post.ive also tried AES out with a van dan hul cable called the second,it's a carbon cable and sounds great,but will be trying some more AES cables out in the next few weeks.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #83 of 114

Are you using RCA-BNC adapters and if so which ones?

I've also just realised the Aries has an AES output. Anyone used that?

The RCA to BNC adapters came with the Waveform cable from Tellurium via the HiFi Shop I bought my Blu from.   I thought it was part of the cable until by accident I twisted the RCA connection and found that this made the adaptor loose.   Interesting that the HiFi Shop I bought the two cables from didn't tell me they were adapters as Chord Electronics don't recommend using RCA to BNC adaptors !  If I had have known this at the beginning I wouldn't have bought them and bought AES/EBU cables from Tellurium instead as they are similar in price. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #86 of 114
I now have it set up and sounding lovely. I have a minor issue however, my Cyrus Streamer is connected via coax and the QBD gives a lock error for anything above 96KHz. These files work fine with my Cyrus DAC and Chord Hugo. I've played the same files over bluetooth on the QBD without issue. It's not cable related is it? Hopefully this is just an incompatibility quirk. Like I mentioned earlier I have an Aries coming soon.

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #87 of 114
  I now have it set up and sounding lovely. I have a minor issue however, my Cyrus Streamer is connected via coax and the QBD gives a lock error for anything above 96KHz. These files work fine with my Cyrus DAC and Chord Hugo. I've played the same files over bluetooth on the QBD without issue. It's not cable related is it? Hopefully this is just an incompatibility quirk. Like I mentioned earlier I have an Aries coming soon.

For single coax 96kHz is the maximum sampling rate.   If you want a higher sampling rate from the QBD76 you will need to use dual coax or dual optical or dual AES/EBU XLR.

The reason why the Bluetooth isn't causing you problems is that it defaults to 44kHz.  

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #90 of 114
you can have your QBD 76 upgraded by chord 2 support usb 192 for £680.

A+    Yes a worthwhile upgrade if your only playing digital music files.   

I went the route of obtaining a second hand Blu at a very competitive price from a private sale.   This allows me unlimited music choice from a wealth of CD's I have and can still buy at very cheap prices as opposed to the current limited choice of HD music files that can be quite expensive !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back