Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 25, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #6,496 of 6,752
Love the setup though - can't wait to hear what burn-in brings.
Be shure you tried toslink input too with all other inputs disconnected.

Its the best isolation against groundloop noise and grainy treble. Chord DAC's are jitter immune.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #6,497 of 6,752
Yes, I think system synergy and preference matters. I initially started with the 3V output because it was so punch but with time it wore on me. For cans, I use Hifiman Susvara which are super resolving and sound better with a touch of warmth added.

Love the setup though - can't wait to hear what burn-in brings.
Be careful. I recently blew one of the drivers on Susvara using 3V on the Qutest. My amp was the Wells Audio Milo.

Oct 25, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #6,500 of 6,752
hi! I am thinking to buy a Quest ... which amp would you recommend me below $1000? Thanks

Did you mean that you are thinking of buying a QUTEST?

Assuming you are asking about a headphone amp recommendation, a lot will depend upon the headphones you are trying to drive.

As for a general headphone amp recommendation, I am using my QUTEST in combination with the RUPERT NEVE RNHP and I am delighted with the results.

rnhp-front.jpg

Note that the RNHP took a few weeks of constant play to begin to open-up and come on-song. It sounded very disappointing right out of the box.

ESD KIRIN HEADPHONES.jpg

As a point of reference, my headphones are specified as a 64-Ohm load. There's certainly no lack of power and no overt brightness.

Worth mentioning too, that our QUTEST continues to run at the 3V output, which provides superb dynamics and seems to match our vinyl output better than the lower output options.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #6,501 of 6,752
Did you mean that you are thinking of buying a QUTEST?

Assuming you are asking about a headphone amp recommendation, a lot will depend upon the headphones you are trying to drive.

As for a general headphone amp recommendation, I am using my QUTEST in combination with the RUPERT NEVE RNHP and I am delighted with the results.

Note that the RNHP took a few weeks of constant play to begin to open-up and come on-song. It sounded very disappointing right out of the box.

As a point of reference, my headphones are specified as a 64-Ohm load. There's certainly no lack of power and no overt brightness.

Worth mentioning too, that our QUTEST continues to run at the 3V output, which provides superb dynamics and seems to match our vinyl output better than the lower output options.
The headphones are : HD800s, Focal clear and He1000se.

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #6,504 of 6,752
...the lower frequencies of the QUTEST were not very punchy.

I respect the subjective viewpoint, but this is definitely NOT my experience.

I guess it is all system dependent, but we run 64-Ohm headphones and several sets of different loudspeakers - 2-way, 3-way, 8-Ohm, 4-Ohm, etc. - and there has never been a lack of low-end punch using the QUTEST.

I would concede that the QUTEST provides very natural levels of bass punch - that is neutral, without exaggeration - so anyone looking for mind-blowing levels of bass swamp (think dubstep "drop") might want for more.

It's all so highly subjective... How do YOU like your steak?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #6,505 of 6,752

I guess it is all system dependent, but we run 64-Ohm headphones and several sets of different loudspeakers - 2-way, 3-way, 8-Ohm, 4-Ohm, etc. - and there has never been a lack of low-end punch using the QUTEST.

I would concede that the QUTEST provides very natural levels of bass punch - that is neutral, without exaggeration - so anyone looking for mind-blowing levels of bass swamp (think dubstep "drop") might want for more.

I agree on the natural levels of the qutest, their is nothing wrong with the bass output. Nowedays it is even hart to find high end equipment were they don’t push the bass forward, nothing natural about that.

I hate it, the reason why I returned a fiio m15s, there was just something wrong in the bass. What they should have done is make a natural sounding amp with a old fashioned ‘loudness button’ that was created in the past for the people who wanted everything pushed forward.

I think qutest is amazing and love the device (and still don’t like the the brand for it idiot exorbitant pricings) but the qutest is very very good, especially coupled with a good psu (throw away the supplied one, no it is NOT good enough)

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #6,506 of 6,752

Which amp would you recommend?

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #6,507 of 6,752
I agree on the natural levels of the qutest, their is nothing wrong with the bass output. Nowedays it is even hart to find high end equipment were they don’t push the bass forward, nothing natural about that.

I hate it, the reason why I returned a fiio m15s, there was just something wrong in the bass. What they should have done is make a natural sounding amp with a old fashioned ‘loudness button’ that was created in the past for the people who wanted everything pushed forward.

I think qutest is amazing and love the device (and still don’t like the the brand for it idiot exorbitant pricings) but the qutest is very very good, especially coupled with a good psu (throw away the supplied one, no it is NOT good enough)
Which amp would you recommend?

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #6,509 of 6,752
hi! I am thinking to buy a Quest ... which amp would you recommend me below $1000? Thanks
I've got the reissued Violectric 281 on pre order for my Qutest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back