Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 25, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,492 of 6,740
I saw some scattered comments regarding this issue on this thread and other forums but dont know if this was ever resolved or addressed ---

I am using Qutest with USB ASIO driver 1.05 and any time I send a 768kbps signal to it, theres a good likelihood it will immediately or eventually start getting static noise on the right channel (typically). At first I thought it could be a HQPlayer thing, but I tried various filters and all had issue as soon as I used 768. It also occurs at 705 though more randomly. I also tried Roon's built-in upscaling at 768 and it also immediately goes to static.

Interestingly, on my less powerful Celeron 4125 roon server as the USB source, it happens less frequently. On my more powerful desktop Intel Canyon Hades I7 8th Gen + 16GB RAM, it happens immediately. I had thought it was perhaps a CPU spike issue with the lower processor, but it happens more often on my much more powerful main PC.

This seems to only be an issue at the higher frequency rate, and not at anything below this.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #5,494 of 6,740
I saw some scattered comments regarding this issue on this thread and other forums but dont know if this was ever resolved or addressed ---

I am using Qutest with USB ASIO driver 1.05 and any time I send a 768kbps signal to it, theres a good likelihood it will immediately or eventually start getting static noise on the right channel (typically). At first I thought it could be a HQPlayer thing, but I tried various filters and all had issue as soon as I used 768. It also occurs at 705 though more randomly. I also tried Roon's built-in upscaling at 768 and it also immediately goes to static.

Interestingly, on my less powerful Celeron 4125 roon server as the USB source, it happens less frequently. On my more powerful desktop Intel Canyon Hades I7 8th Gen + 16GB RAM, it happens immediately. I had thought it was perhaps a CPU spike issue with the lower processor, but it happens more often on my much more powerful main PC.

This seems to only be an issue at the higher frequency rate, and not at anything below this.
Try testing the latency settings of both your computers, using DPC or similar.
Maybe your most powerful PC, needs its settings fine tuning, to ensure no pauses in the data flow at 768kps.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #5,495 of 6,740
Try testing the latency settings of both your computers, using DPC or similar.
Maybe your most powerful PC, needs its settings fine tuning, to ensure no pauses in the data flow at 768kps.

I thought that could be an issue, but doesn't seem like it. Thanks for the links to these tools though!

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #5,496 of 6,740
Here's a short video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6PjUw7458BlfZg0oSfuaFKVIy13g?e=jIivTM

So this doesn't happen to you when your amp is turned off or muted and you start playing a song?

I'm using Roon with a Raspberry Pi. I also tried connecting the Qutest directly to my Macbook and same thing happens. I'm puzzled.
Stop doing that, it’s very likely that your amp is shorting its inputs. You can damage your qutest.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,497 of 6,740
Stop doing that, it’s very likely that your amp is shorting its inputs. You can damage your qutest.
Yes I agree, I haven't used the Echo with the Qutest after I posted here and I decided that the best thing to do is returning the amp to avoid damage to the Qutest.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #5,498 of 6,740
Can anyone advise on what powerpack\Battery to get for the Qutest?
I'm based in the UK.

May 6, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #5,500 of 6,740
I've finally upgraded my dac and blown away so far with the improvements that Qutest brought to the table. Few questions fort owners: does PSU upgrade makes a difference as I see it being mentioned across different forums ? Chord is connected via usb to my macbook, I'm non believer in cables, but I'm not sure if USB port from macbook air is not noisy

May 6, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #5,501 of 6,740
I've finally upgraded my dac and blown away so far with the improvements that Qutest brought to the table. Few questions fort owners: does PSU upgrade makes a difference as I see it being mentioned across different forums ? Chord is connected via usb to my macbook, I'm non believer in cables, but I'm not sure if USB port from macbook air is not noisy
I'm using the Sbooster BOTW ECO MKII for my Qutest and I can hear a big difference compared to the normal power supply.

May 6, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #5,502 of 6,740
I'm using the Sbooster BOTW ECO MKII for my Qutest and I can hear a big difference compared to the normal power supply.

Ooof another 300Euros....But if the difference is easily felt than it is worth it for such dac.. How about inputs on Qutest ? I know they can make a difference...did anyone had a chance to test USB/Optical&BNC ?

May 6, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #5,503 of 6,740
In what direction does Sbooster change the sound from stock smps? Does Sbooster make sound...brighter/darker, denser/lighter, more forward/laid back, more/less bass, midrange more detailed/smoother, etc?

May 6, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #5,504 of 6,740
May 6, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #5,505 of 6,740
In what direction does Sbooster change the sound from stock smps? Does Sbooster make sound...brighter/darker, denser/lighter, more forward/laid back, more/less bass, midrange more detailed/smoother, etc?

I know that SBAF is a bit bias forum, but they will smash to the ground non schiit based dacs if they wont sound at least decent.

This got my attention regards PSU on Qutest --> https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/chord-qutest-impressions.6398/page-2

Regards USB purifier I can see that my usb cable won't be able to connect to it. It has square based input.
That's why I have an interest in other inputs if optical audio out/in is better than usb interface I could think of another source instead of my mac

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back