Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #4,531 of 6,740
Yes the events at Dubai Audio will be public. I don't have the detailed times of it yet...

My DACs are innately single ended, so adding balanced will add extra circuitry, and hence degrade transparency. This is the reverse of other DACs - they have to be balanced, as it's impossible to remove common mode noise from the chip substrate unless you go differential (balanced).
Thanks for clarifying @Rob Watts

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #4,532 of 6,740
Is it safe to use the Allo Shanti power supply with the Qutest? It outputs either 5v / 1a or 5v / 3a.

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #4,535 of 6,740
I finally took a friends advice and traded my Hugo2 for a Qutest (I have a preamp in my system) He optimized the performance with a short lifatec optical cable, MCRU linear power supply and a short blue jeans cable lc1 ultra low capacitance interconnect. All I can say is it keeps up with my DAVE ...... really well done! As far as a headphone amp the new Asgard 3 is exceptional. This combination is keeping up with DAVE truly a bargain

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,536 of 6,740
I finally took a friends advice and traded my Hugo2 for a Qutest (I have a preamp in my system) He optimized the performance with a short lifatec optical cable, MCRU linear power supply and a short blue jeans cable lc1 ultra low capacitance interconnect. All I can say is it keeps up with my DAVE ...... really well done! As far as a headphone amp the new Asgard 3 is exceptional. This combination is keeping up with DAVE truly a bargain
Glad you like it, and yes it is DAVE on the cheap.

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #4,537 of 6,740

If u use HP b sure u try direct drive witout amp

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,539 of 6,740
Curious thing, having been used to using the balanced headphone socket from the V281, it just didn't work for my taste with the Qutest.
Popped the HD 600 into single ended mode and it sounded fine.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #4,540 of 6,740
Seeking input on music endpoint source, if anyone has any thoughts to share ...

I’m currently enjoying my Qutest with ZMF Verite headphones and a HeadAmp GSX-Mini amplifier. I love this set-up. I’m listening from my iPhone with the camera adapter and an audio quest cinnamon usb cord. (Streaming hi res qobuz) ...

My question is: Is there any sound benefit to using, eg a digital audio player, as opposed to the iPhone?

thanks listeners!
Rich

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #4,542 of 6,740
Seeking input on music endpoint source, if anyone has any thoughts to share ...

I’m currently enjoying my Qutest with ZMF Verite headphones and a HeadAmp GSX-Mini amplifier. I love this set-up. I’m listening from my iPhone with the camera adapter and an audio quest cinnamon usb cord. (Streaming hi res qobuz) ...

My question is: Is there any sound benefit to using, eg a digital audio player, as opposed to the iPhone?

thanks listeners!
Rich

In my experience the quality of whatever you store your music on, does matter.
The difference I heard was timing.

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #4,544 of 6,740
Jan 19, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #4,545 of 6,740
It measures just about the best he has ever tested and yet Amir is still mealy mouthed about it and wonders why it doesn’t use a standard chip. Perhaps he ought to listen to it to find out why!
Maybe he mouthed about as he didn't feel that such performance should be this expensive, given most Chinese DACs easily surpass the Qutest at a fraction of the price nowadays e.g. SMSL M500 or the D90! Off course the premise is that all similar measuring DACs should ideally sound the same as they are only converting 1/0s to Analogue signal and the output stage issues are well covered in those measurements. Personally,I have yet to hear the Qutest to understand if that's true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back