Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 8, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #3,241 of 6,743
Qutest is a terrific DAC and I love it. It was one of my best acquisitions in the last 2 years, but if I would like to try another DAC when making a choice, that one will be RME ADI-2 DAC. I have never heard it, but I read about it. It is only marginally cheaper but I am not sure if it will be better. Qutest is really a masterpiece.
Yes I was also eyeing the RME but I am worried about the handshake compatibility as there's no xmos interface. But with fgpa & xmos it works v smooth & fine

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3,242 of 6,743
Definitely let the qutest upsample for sure, use 44/48Khz. If you don't, why get the qutest with its insane filtering in the first place :)
Chord seem to think prior upsampling is beneficial, at least with their M-scaler, I would definitely experiment - particularly if you had something like Hqplayer.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #3,243 of 6,743
Chord seem to think prior upsampling is beneficial, at least with their M-scaler, I would definitely experiment - particularly if you had something like Hqplayer.

Correction: Rob feels his upsampling is superior, not just upsampling on its own. Chord DACs already upsample to a large amount with the WTA filters so the general recommendation is to feed them bit perfect data and let the WTA filter do the upsampling. The M scaler is the same WTA filter on steroids, and definitely not all upsamplers are equal.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #3,244 of 6,743
Anyone have any tips or suggestions for Mac users in terms of driver/configuration? I just use the built-in MIDI tool to select the Qutest sampling rate, that's it.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #3,247 of 6,743
IMO use Exclusive Mode where possible anyway.

Thanks, are you referring to Roon usage or is this mode accessible somewhere within the Mac OS?

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #3,248 of 6,743
Anyone have any tips or suggestions for Mac users in terms of driver/configuration? I just use the built-in MIDI tool to select the Qutest sampling rate, that's it.

Thanks!

I’m not sure you can do it with midi. It resamples to the selected output frequency which may or may not be the native sample rate of the file.

I will be interested to see what others use for a Mac.

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #3,249 of 6,743
Thanks, are you referring to Roon usage or is this mode accessible somewhere within the Mac OS?

Yeah, Roon will have that option. It's not a Mac OS option. What it means is that the software has exclusive control of the DAC and bypasses the internal OS mixer, meaning bit-perfect playback. It will bypass your OS format setting and playback in the source format, so if you are playing a 192kHz file the Mojo will play in 192kHz irrespective of your OS setting.

The inconvenience is that you cannot use your DAC for playback of anything else whilst music is playing, only Roon. So if you load YouTube and try to play a video, there will not be any audio.

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #3,250 of 6,743
The M scaler is the same WTA filter on steroids, and definitely not all upsamplers are equal.
Indeed.
I've found generic upsamplers to be of dubious benefit with well designed dacs.
All I'm saying is that there is no harm in experimenting, especially if one already owns a sophisticated upsampler/filter software like Hqplayer.

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #3,251 of 6,743
Mar 9, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #3,252 of 6,743
I’m not sure you can do it with midi. It resamples to the selected output frequency which may or may not be the native sample rate of the file.

I will be interested to see what others use for a Mac.

I don't see a way to auto-adjust the sample rate in Mac. I guess I'll have to select something that works in Midi and live with it for the moment.

Yeah, Roon will have that option. It's not a Mac OS option. What it means is that the software has exclusive control of the DAC and bypasses the internal OS mixer, meaning bit-perfect playback. It will bypass your OS format setting and playback in the source format, so if you are playing a 192kHz file the Mojo will play in 192kHz irrespective of your OS setting.

The inconvenience is that you cannot use your DAC for playback of anything else whilst music is playing, only Roon. So if you load YouTube and try to play a video, there will not be any audio.

Thanks again, I'm thinking about setting up Roon sometime within a year. This will probably come in handy.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #3,254 of 6,743
Qutest lifts your headphones to another level. Regardless what you use.
IMG_20190309_131838864.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back