Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 7, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #3,226 of 6,736
The change of the sound to a darker one happened when I changed the RCA interconnects from Chord C-Line to Chord Clearway. In the past, when I bought the ISO Regen, I had the feeling that is was damaging somehow the sound. Today I tried it again, the only difference being the Clearway, and the sound seems fuller and the bass more precise.
From the ISO Regen to Qutest I use the included USPCB adapter which can be found here:
https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter
You can see it also in the picture. It is the 90 degree turned version.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #3,228 of 6,736
Picked up my Qutest today from Richer Sounds and planning to add Innuos Zen mini

What modestly priced speakers are people using ?

Looking for small footprint but big soundstage and bass

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #3,231 of 6,736
0307191631 by drjlo1, on Flickr

Did some USB cable comparisons on Qutest. No need to go into gory details since I can easily see some people preferring one over the other depending on their system configuration and personal tastes. I will confirm the Oyaide d+ usb class A is a great bargain at the price, way better than something like the Belkin or other generic stuff. Great extension on top and bottom and does not sound cheap. There is some emphasis in the frequency range of high hats but not grossly so, just noticeable in direct A-B comparisons. I personally prefer more vivid midrange presentation of something like the JCAT USB cable (not in the photo above), which some people will surely find too vivid.
I also can see why so many people love the Curious, which gives a very velvety, sophisticated intensity centered around midrange, but it could use more upper and lower range sparkle and dynamics.
Acoustic BBQ USB cable (mine is a unique version with power leg being silver) and Wireworld Platinum 7 sound uniquely themselves, and those who have heard them click with their systems will surely claim them god-sent. WW is quite pricey but BBQ isn't.

Each USB cable changing the sound so much tends to be annoying, and I ended up finding the sound signature I prefer by using the DXIO Pro3A usb-spdif converter, directly connected to Qutest with RCA-BNC adapter, skipping the need for a spdif cable, which is a HUGE boost to sound quality. I personally find different spdif cables to sound at least as different as USB cables. JCAT usb cable connects DXIO to SotM soundcard (CAPS v3 server w SSD and linear PS). This combo is giving me the most "live" sound with raw dynamics and vivid presence I prefer.

0307191626 by drjlo1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,232 of 6,736
Thanks for sharing these findings John L.
I have heard this a few times now, that people get better results from coaxial SPDIF, and of course optical SPDIF, over USB connections.

Yes I’m sure with lots of effort and the right decrapifiers and cables and ferrites that this may be evened up somewhat. But even the cleanest USB signal still has to get decoded at the receiving end by transceivers that kick out nasty 8khz artefacts. And without jumping through lots of hoops maybe the default untreated noise of the coax SPDIF connection ‘system’ is generally less than the default untreated noise of a USB connection system?

It makes me want to pull out my old audiophilleo and try it myself, although my growing collection of higher bitrate material still mandates a USB connection. Or the ultimate decrapifier - a high price tag, dual BNC Hugo MScaler...

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,233 of 6,736
Thanks for sharing these findings John L.
I have heard this a few times now, that people get better results from coaxial SPDIF, and of course optical SPDIF, over USB connections.

Yes I’m sure with lots of effort and the right decrapifiers and cables and ferrites that this may be evened up somewhat. But even the cleanest USB signal still has to get decoded at the receiving end by transceivers that kick out nasty 8khz artefacts. And without jumping through lots of hoops maybe the default untreated noise of the coax SPDIF connection ‘system’ is generally less than the default untreated noise of a USB connection system?

It makes me want to pull out my old audiophilleo and try it myself, although my growing collection of higher bitrate material still mandates a USB connection. Or the ultimate decrapifier - a high price tag, dual BNC Hugo MScaler...
Decrapifiers is a rabbit hole. Once you hear a differences between good cable in combination with decrapifier its impossible to go back. Also blu ray movies, gaming benefit from decrapifiers a lot too.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #3,234 of 6,736
I would say that the dual BNC inputs are not present on the Qutest just for compatibility with old devices. I would say we should be patient that good times are coming. Or at least I hope so.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #3,235 of 6,736
Primarily they are for the Hugo M Scaler. And let's hope for a cheaper version from Chord and maybe 704/768 kHz input from other devices?

I would say that the dual BNC inputs are not present on the Qutest just for compatibility with old devices. I would say we should be patient that good times are coming. Or at least I hope so.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #3,236 of 6,736

Rob Watts has commented on this thread that he’s not optimistic about a lower priced scaler for the Qutest. Whatever chip(s) is needed for FPGA is too expensive, and he doesn’t see any signs of it going lower anytime soon.

With that said, a simplified scaler matched in size that a Qutest can stack upon would be a great thing. Around 2.5-3K, I hope.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #3,237 of 6,736
With that said, a simplified scaler matched in size that a Qutest can stack upon would be a great thing. Around 2.5-3K, I hope.

When the M-Scaler is double the price of the DAC I would say "Houston, we have a problem". I do not afford it, and if I would to I will change the Qutest.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #3,238 of 6,736
When the M-Scaler is double the price of the DAC I would say "Houston, we have a problem". I do not afford it, and if I would to I will change the Qutest.

The Qutest is $1,900, so hardly double. The M Scaler retails for more than the Hugo TT2. Regardless, just because a device is released that improves the Qutest doesn’t take away from your existing enjoyment.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #3,240 of 6,736
I have been toying with a few dac trying to find 1 that's better and cheaper But guess I will end up getting the qutest as a dac.

Qutest is a terrific DAC and I love it. It was one of my best acquisitions in the last 2 years, but if I would like to try another DAC when making a choice, that one will be RME ADI-2 DAC. I have never heard it, but I read about it. It is only marginally cheaper but I am not sure if it will be better. Qutest is really a masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back