Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #3,181 of 6,741
I am not talking about convertion amps here. Do I? What I say is once you hear full balance gear as it has to be.. literally two full amps in one, one full amp per channel. And if it appropriate calibrated (bias adjusted), you will never accept single ended scheme compromise. Just this. What ever who say what. You hear it.. done. Technically it superior, channel isolation is superior, scene is as it has to be. Deep, wide, tall. It will be all around you. It's like you discover whole new dimension.
My advice to everybody, don't lose time and money for SE solution. You will regret after you hear balanced. If not, means you never ever will heard what i am talking about, Which would be sad, but fine.

I would comment that you are in the wrong thread but then again, it would be on deaf ears.

Moving on then..

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #3,182 of 6,741
.. agree. sorry for offtop.
moving on..

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #3,184 of 6,741
I picked up a Chord Qutest 2 days ago - replacing my Holo Spring non-oversampling "R2R" DAC. While I enjoyed the Holo, the Qutest has far more detail.

I use JRiver Media Center as my player and thought I'd share my configuration. It might help the next buyer.

I'm using the "kernel streaming" driver.
JRiver Output Device.PNG

I have quite a number of DSD files, so enabling bitstreaming was important.
Bit Streaming.PNG

I also created a playlist with a variety of sample rates - from 44.1khz to quad rate DSD - to make test my configuration.
High Bit Rate Playlist.PNG

It's working great. Now I've got to get ROON configured!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #3,185 of 6,741
I use ROON to stream music from headphone system to my 2-channel vinyl rig in the living room. I'm not a big fan of MQA, but if you use ROON, you use TIDAL, and that means MQA.

I struggled to get the right settings in ROON for my Qutest. I was only getting the 44.1Khz "red light" when playing some MQA files. I figured out that I needed to use the "enable MQA Core Decoder" option to get the Qutest to light up with a "Green" 96Khz

Here's my settings:
Roon Settings.png

Signal Pathtempsnip.png

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #3,186 of 6,741
I picked up a Chord Qutest 2 days ago - replacing my Holo Spring non-oversampling "R2R" DAC. While I enjoyed the Holo, the Qutest has far more detail.

Hey Tbone welcome to the thread, Im a recovering Holo Spring addict as well! :)
I felt the Qutest was a tad more musical and is fitting in nicely here. I am still messing around with settings in Jriver and HQP.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #3,187 of 6,741
I use ROON to stream music from headphone system to my 2-channel vinyl rig in the living room. I'm not a big fan of MQA, but if you use ROON, you use TIDAL, and that means MQA.

I also use Roon and now that also supports Qobuz. I changed from Tidal to Qobuz to get away from MQA.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #3,188 of 6,741
Hey Tbone welcome to the thread, Im a recovering Holo Spring addict as well! :)
I felt the Qutest was a tad more musical and is fitting in nicely here. I am still messing around with settings in Jriver and HQP.
Damn I'm really really loving the holo spring 2. Can't even imagine the qutest being much better! I'm a NOS fan though, doesn't the qutest sound much harsher?

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #3,189 of 6,741
Hey guys-do you have any idea why Herb likes Holo more than Qutest?I trust this guy a lot and he has good and honest reputation but both of you say otherwise.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #3,190 of 6,741
Hey guys-do you have any idea why Herb likes Holo more than Qutest?I trust this guy a lot and he has good and honest reputation but both of you say otherwise.

It is always about personal tastes. I imagine the Holo to be softer and more romantic sounding compared to Qutest's more precise nature. No right or wrong choices, just which suits your listening habits more

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #3,191 of 6,741
It is always about personal tastes. I imagine the Holo to be softer and more romantic sounding compared to Qutest's more precise nature. No right or wrong choices, just which suits your listening habits more
For personal taste I couldn't agree more!But he mentions that Holo is more natural and transparent!Please read his conclusions.Could it be any connection compatibility?

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #3,195 of 6,741
For personal taste I couldn't agree more!But he mentions that Holo is more natural and transparent!Please read his conclusions.Could it be any connection compatibility?

I heard the Holo quite sometime back, but it was not on a system that I was familiar with, so my impression might be sketchy.

The Holo is definitely more natural sounding with a more softer/ romantic/ musical presentation. As for transparency, I would think both the Holo and Qutest come very close to one other. We might be splitting hairs here.

A friend owns the Holo, with the Melco N100 as source. I can arrange to drop by his place with my Qutest but it will close to end of March as I will be travelling next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back