Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 30, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #2,492 of 6,741
Received Chord Qutest, and even without audio testing, I am immediately disappointed by the build quality of included wall wart power supply. The slot where various international plugs click in has questionable build and contact quality, and depending on how one clicks in the square plug and how the wall wart is plugged in (poor grip on wall receptacle), I get intermittent power contact.
Very poor for a $1900 product IMO.

1130180858 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,495 of 6,741
Re: Wallwart, I ditched the wallwart on my former 2Qute and it mad a difference. However, in speaking with Chord directly, the insist ditching the wallwart will do nothing. I was considering powering it with a powerbank or some other "battery" device. Thoughts? and Thanks

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,496 of 6,741
Re: Wallwart, I ditched the wallwart on my former 2Qute and it mad a difference. However, in speaking with Chord directly, the insist ditching the wallwart will do nothing. I was considering powering it with a powerbank or some other "battery" device. Thoughts? and Thanks

I am using a low noise LPS, I didnt try a battery pak but im sure its worth the effort.

I experienced better focus and weight to the music.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #2,497 of 6,741
@Rob Watts did post about comparing the wallwart v a large battery, and could not measure any difference in the sound from the 2Qute.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,498 of 6,741

Thoughts? Well when you spoke to Chord directly of course they are going to say what they told you. They would be crazy to say anything different.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,499 of 6,741
I am using a low noise LPS, I didnt try a battery pak but im sure its worth the effort.

I experienced better focus and weight to the music.
Which LPS are you using?

I've been comparing power supplies, including iFi iPower, Bakoon Lithium battery PS, and HDplex Linear. I won't make much comments until I actually compare them to the stock smps, which is currently breaking in charging my Android phones :jecklinsmile:

I WILL say Lithium battery PS gives you super-creamy, buttery textures if you like that sort of thing...

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #2,500 of 6,741
It could be a cold solder joint. send it to Chord.

If I can send it directly to Chord in the UK I will, but really don't want to go through my dealer after the nightmare I just went through with another item I had issues with. Also would hate to be without this DAC for weeks... If I can't send it to Chord directly I will probably contact a local hi-fi repair shop to fix the issue, maybe even fit much higher quality connectors, less hassle and much much faster...

I have decided to just wait and deal with it after the holiday season. It works for now (and sounds great ), I placed something under the connectors to support the weight of the cable and used velcro to keep the left and right cable from moving. I hate it ( this problem literally keeps me up at night ) but it's better than the other options... This sucks !

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #2,504 of 6,741
hi , does anyone have any feedback bout using this with qutest

https://lnx.m2tech.biz/products/pens/hiface-two/

if i get this , which a friend of mine is selling for cheap, what cable I need to go into the chord qutest? please send links

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,505 of 6,741

amazon nor on ebay any of those cables ship to Israel, which is strange because it says ships worldwide but on check out they say the do not ship to Israel, I tried so many different vendors on ebay but non ship to Israel, anything good maybe on aliexpress or maybe there is another site where to buy one of these cables, how bout blue jeans cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back