Nov 8, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,402 of 6,740
OK, TY for pointing out the obvious
I am in idiot
I thought it would pick source on it's own
I did not have it set to usb input
I am quite surprised what an upgrade it is to the 2Qute
sounds amazing
thanks again

Can I ask. I think you're using windows 7. Does the Windows 10 driver run and work with Win7? or are you running the 2Qute drive which would have been Win 7?

I am generally curious to know because I am hanging on to Win 7. Yet all new Chord DACs have Win 10 drivers on the website.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,404 of 6,740
i just purchased the qutest to use with my woo audio wa6se and audeze lcd3 and have been reading that this dac is not really for headphone use
what the hell man i wish i read these pages earlier i had no clue .
is it really that bad with headphones?.

No.. you did exscellent choice. I know people who actually sale their Hugo2 because they don't liked how it sounds with headphones.
But as they like a lot DAC of Hugo2 , they do this to get rid of amplification stage of Hugo 2, to able to use their own amps. Sound like a smart choice to me.
And comming back to what Mr. Rod said.. ) Why you think he might say it? Any clue? Any? :wink:
Enjoy your qutest! you did well!

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #2,405 of 6,740
No.. you did exscellent choice. I know people who actually sale their Hugo2 because they don't liked how it sounds with headphones.
But as they like a lot DAC of Hugo2 , they do this to get rid of amplification stage of Hugo 2, to able to use their own amps. Sound like a smart choice to me.
And comming back to what Mr. Rod said.. ) Why you think he might say it? Any clue? Any? :wink:
Enjoy your qutest! you did well!
I suspect that there is certain weakness in certain systems and therefore colored amps or not as transparent design amps will yeld more forgiving sound. I mean if amp sound identical as good dac why is there a problem? Does ultra transparent design amps like Chord's, Headamp sound bad because they reveal weakness better than standart amps?

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,408 of 6,740
In general, tube amplifiers are more transparent.
Tube as amplification element has much less distortion. Transistor amplifiers need do more complex circuits with deep feedback to fix these distortions.
Complex circuits make sound less transparent and deep feedback made it more compressed and dead.
Also, transistors have thermal distortion that are not fixable even with deep feedback.
Some audiophile recognize harsh (because high harmonic desertions) transistor sound like "detailed" .
https://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/the-cool-sound-of-tubes

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #2,409 of 6,740
Evening all, any recommendations on a solid state amp under £1000 I have a tube amp at the moment but think a little detail is lost and warmth is added with tubes.

I will not stand on technicalities, so two amazing choices imo are the rupert neve rnhp and the violectric hpa v200.
A friend is actually thinking of selling his mint v200.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,410 of 6,740
Evening all, any recommendations on a solid state amp under £1000 I have a tube amp at the moment but think a little detail is lost and warmth is added with tubes.
I can recommend Bryston BHA-1, hopefully next week will report how it sounds with qutest...
But as solid state amp it has good reputation as honest and natural, capable to dirve anything ) this i can confirm.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #2,412 of 6,740
Assistance Please, although not a Qutest (which is working fine)
I attached a Chord 2Qute ex to a win10 machine
machine recognizes device
downloaded and installed drivers (it says successful, ready to use)
no sound
look in device manager and device is there with "drivers not available"

any help GREATLY appreciated.

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #2,413 of 6,740
I am planning to buy a decent pc to connect it to the chord qutest, I want to connect it optically to chord qutest. Shall the pc have optical out or optical in, sorry for the noob question. I guess optical out ???

Also the pc will be 5 meters away from the chord qutest, is it ok to buy a 5 meter optical cable

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #2,415 of 6,740
I am planning to buy a decent pc to connect it to the chord qutest, I want to connect it optically to chord qutest. Shall the pc have optical out or optical in, sorry for the noob question. I guess optical out ???

Also the pc will be 5 meters away from the chord qutest, is it ok to buy a 5 meter optical cable

Optical out. Kabeldirekt makes great cheap cables and even Rob Watts the designer has said so but may have referred to other cables in their range that he has tried. If laptop with optical out is hard to find / much more expensive I would agree with a previous poster and buy the latest new version of Chome cast and a shorter optical cable. I have not tried it but have seen many positive comments so may be worth trying. And yes 5 m optical should be ok if you go that route.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back