Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 15, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #2,416 of 6,743
I am planning to buy a decent pc to connect it to the chord qutest, I want to connect it optically to chord qutest. Shall the pc have optical out or optical in, sorry for the noob question. I guess optical out ???

Also the pc will be 5 meters away from the chord qutest, is it ok to buy a 5 meter optical cable
There are many posts on the chord threads, about how good the kabeldirekt are, in spite of their low cost. https://www.amazon.fr/KabelDirekt-Câble-Optique-TOSLINK-optique/dp/B004YEJO4Q
I use one of their 10m cables, with no issues.
You could use such cables to test an optical system, and only later choose whether to spend megabucks on a different brand cable.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #2,418 of 6,743
Do you have a picture of chrome cast with optical out? I only seen HDMI and Micro-USB connections. TIA

Or do you mean chrome cast Audio?
It's Chromecast Audio, I'm also using one for optical output to my Qutest + Hifi-Cast on Android phone. Superb for $35

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #2,420 of 6,743
Thanks for the reply!

Can the Chromecast Audio accept optical cable straight without a 3.5mm to optical converter? I can only see a 3.5mm connection.

No it cannot
You either need an adapter - Audioquest do one- or a mini toslink to full toslink cable.

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2,421 of 6,743
Thanks for the reply!

Can the Chromecast Audio accept optical cable straight without a 3.5mm to optical converter? I can only see a 3.5mm connection.
The 3.5mm port is for both analog and optical output ( same port size, shape)
In other word, It's mini-optical port plugged into Chromecast Audio, which shape and size is identical to a 3.5mm analog port
Just google "mini toslink" to check

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,423 of 6,743
Hi all.. today I had really really carefull listenning session to my Qutest. I wish to hear directly to this DAC without any amps.
So I connect Grado HP1000 directly to line out. It's need attenuation (see picture), but works very well this way.
Here is my results and contribution to the community )
Today about DSD support (again)). I found that only D2P with White filter plays DSD correctly on my Qutest!
Other filters and DoP will make scene flat. You can easily confirm it by yourself...
If you want to hear what i mean, you need to listen 2nd track Mourning Grace form Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue in DSD.
This is one of the best album to listen and hear deep 3D sound image and scene.
What you will find is that only D2P White filter will blow your mind from this song.. and you will surprise how other combibations make it flat!
I hear it very well from headphones. Good to test your gears and hearing :wink:
Let me know what you heard.
I found it interesting to share...

UPD: made AB listening with stock power supply and battery power bank... no difference to me!
but it's nixe to have options for autonomy battery use. Qutest consume no more then 0,6A. So almoste any power bank can feed it nicely.

the only regret about Qutest is no power button ( feels strange always remove cable or unplug adapter. Strange decision for 2018 hardware design. Is include power button would add that much to the final price?!?

20181118_152435.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #2,424 of 6,743
Hi all.. today I had really really carefull listenning session to my Qutest. I wish to hear directly to this DAC without any amps.
So I connect Grado HP1000 directly to line out. It's need attenuation (see picture), but works very well this way.
Here is my results and contribution to the community )
Today about DSD support (again)). I found that only D2P with White filter plays DSD correctly on my Qutest!
Other filters and DoP will make scene flat. You can easily confirm it by yourself...
If you want to hear what i mean, you need to listen 2nd track Mourning Grace form Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue in DSD.
This is one of the best album to listen and hear deep 3D sound image and scene.
What you will find is that only D2P White filter will blow your mind from this song.. and you will surprise how other combibations make it flat!
I hear it very well from headphones. Good to test your gears and hearing :wink:
Let me know what you heard.
I found it interesting to share...

Hi what do you mean needs attenuation and can this be done using other headphones

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,425 of 6,743
Why nerds? I used normal analog Rotary Potentiometer.. like Alps and others..
Grado choice is they are low impedance.. 32ohm. I found line out stage of Qutest very capable.
UPD. Get the same results with my Mapletree MAD Ear+ HD headphone amp paired to Qutest.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,428 of 6,743
love the Qutest but... Darko’s shamelessly gone all the way down to plain advertising spots :neutral_face:

I listened to one of his podcasts recently, and the subject of liking the gear he reviews came up between him and his co-host. Both agreed that this is to be expected because the components Darko reviews are components he has a keen interest in beforehand whether it be due to the brand, feature set, design, or anticipated performance.

I do like his website and most of the podcasts he’s released, and on the subject of the Qutest, I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,429 of 6,743
love the Qutest but... Darko’s shamelessly gone all the way down to plain advertising spots :neutral_face:
Good to keep an open mind / so do u think chord throw him a bung but schitt don’t?
Just asking - have to be vigilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back