Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,102 of 6,752
At least you Qutest users have the freedom to use a different power supply. Warranty terms for the M Scaler prohibit use of any power supply other than the one provided.

Very interesting, I wonder why that is ...

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,103 of 6,752
Oct 2, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #2,106 of 6,752
IIRC a fellow member posted that this power supply sounded noticeably worse than the stock one...

In my system, I prefer the sound from the stock power supply. I have tried HDPlex and iFi. I will try in a couple months both the LPS 1.2 and the new Sbooster.
With my older Qutest, the sound was much better using a Sbooster (old model) over the stock PS.
Cheers.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #2,107 of 6,752
Guys, what RCA cables are you using for Qutest connection to the amp? I tried here Chord C-Line 0.5m:

That QED Performance RCA red plug into Amp looks like it could have done with pushing in more may have altered the sound?

Qutest_Chord_C_Line.jpg

Then I tried a QED Performance 40 1m:

Qutest_QED_Performance_40.jpg

The Chord C Line is somehow warmer and has a bigger soundstage but the QED Performance 40 is more analytical and somehow colder, maybe a little bit more detailed in the detriment of musicality. The C Line is new and I will let it run for a few hours before making a final assessment, but I would like to know what other cables are you using, and of course, if you have an opinion about these two. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,108 of 6,752
Nothing fancy for now but planning on building my own with Belden 1694A.Excellent audio and digital cable with low capacitance,which I need for my passive preamp.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2,109 of 6,752
Has anyone here auditioned the Mal Valve Head Amp Three mk4?

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #2,110 of 6,752
Into my Qutest I have used Bluesound Node 2 (spdif coax and toslink), SOTM sms200, and Lumin D1 (spdif bnc). For me, the Qutest sounds best with its galvanically isolated inputs. The SOTM via USB sounded supremely natural, followed by the Node2 with Lifatec glass toslink. Lumin D1 sounds marginally more 'tense' and digital (less engaging) by comparison. The sound quality delta between SOTM and Node2 was greater than between Node2 and D1 which is marginal.

Unfortunately I can't live with the SOTM as I want to be able to switch between local files, Tidal and Spotify without messing in a browser. It was also much slower in operation and locked up more than the Bluesound/Lumin units both of which have great control apps and seamless library/streaming service access.

I'm looking at the Lumin U1 mini or an Auralic Aries femto to provide the best combo of sound and usability for me, hoping that either will be as good or better sounding than the SOTM. If you only use local files or only one of the streaming services then I would highly recommend the SOTM based on sound quality alone paired with Qutest.

Has anyone compared these or would have any other recommendation for network transports for Qutest? Minimum requirements are local NAS/UPnP files, Tidal and Spotify with seamless switching between each and a decent control app. Anyone heard/used a Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra, or even tried a Cambridge CXN (assuming there's no point to going for 851N if the internal DAC is not used)?

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #2,111 of 6,752
Hesitation blues:

I will be buying a qutest despite a few doubts:

1. Is the lack luster power supply issue for real? Were the problems only with the very first batches? Only way to know for sure
is to compare it to an after mrkt. psu; an additional cost which in the USA prices it right with the new improved Yggy.
2. Anecdotally I have the impression that more qutest dacs are being re-sold than the competition, the new Yggy, Brooklyn +,
Benchmark dac3, etc.

So why am I buying? Sabre dacs grate on my ears. My prior dac was the original Yggy. Way better than sabre but after a
couple of yrs. it bored me. My speaker only system only has se (rca) connects for the preamp and amp. I will not buy a
balanced dac and subject myself to yrs. of reading how much better it sounds through the xlr connects, soooo, fingers
crossed, bring on the qutest.

gad-

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,112 of 6,752
Why so many people has that silly opinion that 2qute an Qutest "MUST HAVE" after market PSU?
I like both 2qute and Qutest with PSU supplied by Chord.
I tried 2qute with after market and not cheap PSU an was deeply disappointed. It made 2qute sound horrible compared to supplied Chord PSU.
I sold that PSU on eBay by half of the price.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,113 of 6,752
Amen brother! Too much noise is made about the power supplies.

I doubt that Chord would intentionally provide an inferior power supply. It would only hurt their products performance

I wish PSU discussions would be banned from all Chord threads and someone should start dedicated PSU discussion threads.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,114 of 6,752
Hesitation blues:

I will be buying a qutest despite a few doubts:

1. Is the lack luster power supply issue for real? Were the problems only with the very first batches? Only way to know for sure
is to compare it to an after mrkt. psu; an additional cost which in the USA prices it right with the new improved Yggy.
2. Anecdotally I have the impression that more qutest dacs are being re-sold than the competition, the new Yggy, Brooklyn +,
Benchmark dac3, etc.

So why am I buying? Sabre dacs grate on my ears. My prior dac was the original Yggy. Way better than sabre but after a
couple of yrs. it bored me. My speaker only system only has se (rca) connects for the preamp and amp. I will not buy a
balanced dac and subject myself to yrs. of reading how much better it sounds through the xlr connects, soooo, fingers
crossed, bring on the qutest.

gad-
Qutest is the thing!You won't get dissapointed.

Is it just me that thinks that this thread is dying due to HMS?

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,115 of 6,752

Users who are viewing this thread

Back