Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jun 19, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,621 of 6,736
I’m not sure how universal this behaviour is for other drivers, but my information regarding resending packets with the Chord driver comes from this post (and a few others):

But don’t get too hung up on this resend business. Note that Rob Watts said, “It's also true that standard USB has extremely low USB errors too, and if you got faulty data, it would sound as clicks and ticks. I have never heard a tick via USB from my mobile phone ever, and that is driverless.”

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,622 of 6,736
But don’t get too hung up on this resend business. Note that Rob Watts said, “It's also true that standard USB has extremely low USB errors too, and if you got faulty data, it would sound as clicks and ticks. I have never heard a tick via USB from my mobile phone ever, and that is driverless.”

Exactly. I’ve never had an error either, but the question was asked.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,624 of 6,736
Hey~ I used the QUTEST for about 10 days ~ I still have the SP1000. I just upgraded it to the DAVE ~ it actually sounds good with an optical cable. I had a OTG for the usb but the sound quality was poor~ try using the usb-b to usb-c type ~ that might be better ~
With the optical I really like the sound quality better that the usb-b to usb-c type using OTG. I also agree that it sound a bit warmer compare to the Hugo 2 . Many people are saying that it sounds better for various reasons, but I have to agree~

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,626 of 6,736
I'm actually going to try a battery pack. I get a buzz/ring when either of my HVAC units kick on even though one is in a different part of the house and on a different circuit breaker panel. I called PS Audio once and they gave me some troubleshooting tips but I need to rule this out.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,628 of 6,736
I just went through a week of going back and forth testing the Qutest with the OEM wall-wart, an iFi iPower, and a Poweradd battery pack.

I did not notice any difference whatsoever between the OEM wall-wart and the iFi iPower. I was skeptical of the iPower going in because I don't like the idea of counteracting noise by adding even more noise, but I figure for $50 it's worth a shot.

Now for the battery pack, I'd be hard pressed to say that I can really hear much of a difference either, especially since quick A/Bin'g of PS's is not possible. I do hear a tiny bit smoother roll-off in the higher frequencies, less of a hiss/scratchiness but extremely mild, and only on certain tracks. If I'm not specifically listening for that I wouldn't notice it. I can't really point to any other differences or improvements.

I am going to end up keeping the Poweradd battery pack now that I know the difference is there, no matter how unnoticeable it may be. And also it's a good accessory to have in general for other things. The Poweradd for the price is the largest capacity battery pack I found that has an easy to read display screen, can output 20v DC (16v to power my Auralic Mini), and has a micro-usb-b for the Qutest.

For reference my setup is: Auralic Mini -> Qutest -> Violectric v280 -> HE1000v2

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,629 of 6,736
I just went through a week of going back and forth testing the Qutest with the OEM wall-wart, an iFi iPower, and a Poweradd battery pack.

I did not notice any difference whatsoever between the OEM wall-wart and the iFi iPower. I was skeptical of the iPower going in because I don't like the idea of counteracting noise by adding even more noise, but I figure for $50 it's worth a shot.

Now for the battery pack, I'd be hard pressed to say that I can really hear much of a difference either, especially since quick A/Bin'g of PS's is not possible. I do hear a tiny bit smoother roll-off in the higher frequencies, less of a hiss/scratchiness but extremely mild, and only on certain tracks. If I'm not specifically listening for that I wouldn't notice it. I can't really point to any other differences or improvements.

I am going to end up keeping the Poweradd battery pack now that I know the difference is there, no matter how unnoticeable it may be. And also it's a good accessory to have in general for other things. The Poweradd for the price is the largest capacity battery pack I found that has an easy to read display screen, can output 20v DC (16v to power my Auralic Mini), and has a micro-usb-b for the Qutest.

For reference my setup is: Auralic Mini -> Qutest -> Violectric v280 -> HE1000v2
Would you be able to tell the difference via a bling test?
How much does it cost?

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,630 of 6,736
Jun 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,631 of 6,736
By any chance is anyone copying their vinyl to FLAC or similar? If so what software or device are you using and what bit and frequency are you using? My brother has an album they want $51 for the CD, seriously...

I have a Zoom H2n which will allow me to record 96kHz/24-bit wav

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,632 of 6,736
By any chance is anyone copying their vinyl to FLAC or similar? If so what software or device are you using and what bit and frequency are you using? My brother has an album they want $51 for the CD, seriously...

I have a Zoom H2n which will allow me to record 96kHz/24-bit wav

Why not use Davina? My Chord dealer had a special offer and I picked one up for £99.
:wink:

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,633 of 6,736
Why not use Davina? My Chord dealer had a special offer and I picked one up for £99.
:wink:

Hook a brother up with a £99 Davina.

I will be generous, I will give you £100 and you can keep the change.

But only if the remote that comes with it, is really a tricorder from star trek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 28, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,634 of 6,736

Users who are viewing this thread

Back