Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #406 of 6,752
I never said anything about it being a bad idea to compare the Qutest to more expensive DACs. I've stated clearly in various posts that the Qutest measures better than them anyway. (Aside from the DAVE.) My point was that if you take a $500 DAC, compare it to a $2,000+ DAC, and declare the more expensive DAC the winner, my reaction would be, "Well, so what? You should have used a higher-end model from both companies." (The Qutest qualifies as higher-end in this instance and is not Chord's entry-level DAC.) Same goes for my own comparison of a $250 DAC to a $1,300 DAC. I can't generalize the differences between the two technologies the companies use based only on that, because I did not test higher-end Schiit DACs.

Sorry for the confusion, but, to quote Chords own literature,"The 2Qute is our entry level ”straight’ DAC." Really doesn't
matter, my post stands on it's own, glad we're in agreement that a Yggdrasil to Qutest comparison is valid.

peace:cat:

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #407 of 6,752
Right now, I'm running the Hugo2 in a 2 ch. set up out of a MacMini/Audirvana+ into a Phonitor X (used as a pre-amp and HP amp), a Chord SPM 1050 and Dynaudio C1s Sig. I'm surprised how good the sound is, especially with the white filter. 3D type of imaging. The drawback is having to use less than optimal cables. Thats why I'm eager to test the Qutest (ahah). I'll be able to connect my Locus Design USB cable (B--A) and my Siltech 330i interconnects. I'm in Canada. If the USA delivery date is Feb., Canada will be March or even April. So I'm thinking of ordering directly from UK from Future Shop. Is there a drawback to do that? I've done it before for Toxic cables - took a while but arrived safely - but never for something like hardware.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #408 of 6,752
chord_qutest.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, but, to quote Chords own literature,"The 2Qute is our entry level ”straight’ DAC."

It was also their only straight DAC once the QBD76 HDSD was discontinued and before the Qutest came along. :laughing:

As we all know, the Mojo is their entry-level product.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #410 of 6,752
Interesting thing - there are so many manufacturers, who use "latest chips", but all the DAC-talk is usually about Chord and Schiit DACs. I think my next DAC would be from one of those companies. Mostly because both companies use their own tech instead of throwing in the standard DAC-chip. For me the competitor for Chord Qutest would be a Schiit Gungnir Multibit. Schiit has both balanced and single-ended outputs and it is a cheaper option. So I hope Qutest would perform clearly better to justify the lack of balanced connections and higher price. Looking forward for somebody to compare those two. Unfortunately, in my country there would be no chance to audition one or another.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #412 of 6,752
Interesting thing - there are so many manufacturers, who use "latest chips", but all the DAC-talk is usually about Chord and Schiit DACs. I think my next DAC would be from one of those companies. Mostly because both companies use their own tech instead of throwing in the standard DAC-chip. For me the competitor for Chord Qutest would be a Schiit Gungnir Multibit. Schiit has both balanced and single-ended outputs and it is a cheaper option. So I hope Qutest would perform clearly better to justify the lack of balanced connections and higher price. Looking forward for somebody to compare those two. Unfortunately, in my country there would be no chance to audition one or another.
I will be picking up a Qutest as soon as they come out to compare against Gungnir Multibit. I need another DAC for my 2 channel anyway and will see which one stays with the headphones and which drives the speaker system. Or perhaps sell one of them in a hurry after that. :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #413 of 6,752
PSA for all: I just read the Chord prices are increasing February 1st. Don't know if it's Chord's doing or the U.S. Distributor. I also don't know if it will affect the Qutest also, or if they will honor the introductory price for a bit longer at least. I want to buy one, but I have to wait until mid February for the funds.

Hugo 2 is increasing to $2695, among others.

https://www.thecableco.com/beat-the-chord-price-increases-coming-february-1st

Also mentioned on TTVJ's Facebook page.

*Edit: I read elsewhere from another vendor on the forum that it is the U.S. distributor, not Chord increasing the prices. Supposedly due to the strengthening British Pound. This might also explain why the Stereophile article was quoting $1795.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #414 of 6,752
PSA for all: I just read the Chord prices are increasing February 1st. Don't know if it's Chord's doing or the U.S. Distributor. I also don't know if it will affect the Qutest also, or if they will honor the introductory price for a bit longer at least. I want to buy one, but I have to wait until mid February for the funds.

*Edit: I read elsewhere from another vendor on the forum that it is the U.S. distributor, not Chord increasing the prices. Supposedly due to the strengthening British Pound. This might also explain why the Stereophile article was quoting $1795.

All the more reason to import from the UK and not be taken advantage of by this nonsense.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #415 of 6,752
All the more reason to import from the UK and not be taken advantage of by this nonsense.

Don’t you guys have any import taxes? The other way around it costs us plenty to import.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #416 of 6,752
Don’t you guys have any import taxes? The other way around it costs us plenty to import.

Based on online calculators, it looks like it's only two or three percent in this case.

When I imported things in the past, I never had to pay any tax, but they weren't expensive.

Personally, I think any type of import tax is outright theft, but what can ya do...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #417 of 6,752

Good sales strategy for Schiit:cat:

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #418 of 6,752
Right now, I'm running the Hugo2 in a 2 ch. set up out of a MacMini/Audirvana+ into a Phonitor X (used as a pre-amp and HP amp

I can't answer your question, but I would be interested to hear why you're not using the Hugo 2 as a headphone amp please?

I'm trying to decide between purchasing the Hugo 2 or the Qutest. I currently drive Sennheiser HD800 headphones through a Lehmann Black Cube Linear (headphone amp) and want to know if the Hugo 2 would provide better headphone output than this - or, if I need to stick with the existing headphone amp, I would presumably be better off buying the Qutest. Anyone else like to chip in on this one?

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #419 of 6,752
Based on online calculators, it looks like it's only two or three percent in this case.

When I imported things in the past, I never had to pay any tax, but they weren't expensive.

Personally, I think any type of import tax is outright theft, but what can ya do...

We have import duty and vat if we import from USA to UK. I always allow at least 25% to the price paid to account for that. The final sting in the tail is when the courier makes a charge for collecting the tax. Good luck though if it doesn't work like that when going the other way across the pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back