Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 20, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,632 of 6,744
On a side note, for those who use Foobar and Qutest, and do not plan to splurge on M-scaler, do try the Foobar Resampler-V plugin for 44.1kHz material.
I usually do not like resamplers, having tried and compared PPHS, SSRC, SRC extensively. Resampler-V lets you customize SSRC and SoX with various adjustments to arrive at a sound "effect" to your tastes. I still do not like how high sample rates sound (192 kHz, etc), but at 96 kHz and settings to extend LPF frequency response and still keep impulse response around 1 ms, I am able to simulate a certain "wetness" (some report Qutest sound as "dry") and immediacy while sanding off a a trace of 44.1kHz "edge." The settings will depend on your system and tastes, but for my main speaker system, something like this works...

Thanks for this. I use something similar. I use the LMS Server with an ultraRendu as an endpoint/player. There is a free plug-in for the LMS server called C-3PO that does something similar. I use it to do a high quality upscale PCM to 704 and 768 kHz and downres DSD to 704 before being sent to my player as PCM then on to the Qutest. It’s basically a poor mans MScaler and whilst I’m sure it doesn’t compare, I prefer it to the sound to sending the Qutest native res.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #3,633 of 6,744

Palladio: about 2:08 is that someone tapping on a wine glass on the right side? Or whatever instrument would make that effect. Sounds like glass to me.

I don't know if it's the new headphones, the new cable, or what, but I've never heard that before now. Mind blown.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #3,634 of 6,744
Thanks for this. I use something similar. I use the LMS Server with an ultraRendu as an endpoint/player. There is a free plug-in for the LMS server called C-3PO that does something similar. I use it to do a high quality upscale PCM to 704 and 768 kHz and downres DSD to 704 before being sent to my player as PCM then on to the Qutest. It’s basically a poor mans MScaler and whilst I’m sure it doesn’t compare, I prefer it to the sound to sending the Qutest native res.

Finally got to hear an M Scaler feeding the Qutest.

Really nice. If you like the Qutest sound it’s more of the same, with more textured highs, better bass, and wonderful liquid reverb through the midrange.
You can hear more in a track without having to turn it up.
My piddly server based upscaling as described above was ok, but the M Scaler is a whole different thing.
It didn’t sound immediately better though and it had a hard pushed midrange until I plugged it into the same power board as the qutest. Not sure why it didn’t like being on a different wall plug, but it all came together when on the same board.

Now it’s gone, It’s not the same without the M Scaler.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #3,637 of 6,744
Yggy was one of options, when I was looking for a new DAC. I would not say it sounds worse or better than Qutest. My impression was that those two are comparable, although Chord sound signature is closer to my taste. But apart from this Qutest have support for DXD and DSD (I have both types in my library and love how it sounds), Qutest takes less space on my table and it was 1.000 EUR cheaper than Yggy. Considering all this, I can say that for me Chord Qutest is much better DAC than Schiit Yggy. And that`s why I bought it.
I own both the Yggy and Qutest and I like both. The Yggy has better bass IMO while the Qutest seems more resolving and has better treble.

They are both excellant in their own way. The Qutest is certainly a lot better than the 2qute I had which I felt was beaten easily by the Yggy.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3,638 of 6,744
I own both the Yggy and Qutest and I like both. The Yggy has better bass IMO while the Qutest seems more resolving and has better treble.

They are both excellant in their own way. The Qutest is certainly a lot better than the 2qute I had which I felt was beaten easily by the Yggy.

Great info. Could you elaborate a bit on the difference in bass response between the two... why is Yggy better in your opinion?

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,639 of 6,744
@hornytoad
... and I am pretty sure Yggy has much better 3d imaging. More depth soundstage representation as well :wink:
About bass. Yes its just full from Yggy. more deep and wide.. very well extended and defined at the same time. Very good dac. Also decide to keep it for a while.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3,640 of 6,744
Great info. Could you elaborate a bit on the difference in bass response between the two... why is Yggy better in your opinion?
I just felt the Yggy has better bass response and is a little fuller but not bloated. The Qutest has that airy treble that I like a lot.

Pairing with amps, preamps and speakers of course can change all of this to a certain extent.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #3,641 of 6,744
@hornytoad
... and I am pretty sure Yggy has much better 3d imaging. More depth soundstage representation as well :wink:
About bass. Yes its just full from Yggy. more deep and wide.. very well extended and defined at the same time. Very good dac. Also decide to keep it for a while.
I would tend to agree with the better soundstage with the Yggy.

Detail oriented folks I feel would prefer the Qutest.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #3,643 of 6,744
I would tend to agree with the better soundstage with the Yggy.

Detail oriented folks I feel would prefer the Qutest.

Man I adore the soundstage width and depth with the Qutest as well as imaging... if the Yggy is has better soundstage it must be absolutely amazing. I spent time with Yggy, enough to know the Qutest is in the same class, but I’ve never owned a Yggy. I’ll need to get my hands on one soon just for fun to have a longer proper comparison to Qutest.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #3,644 of 6,744
Man I adore the soundstage width and depth with the Qutest as well as imaging... if the Yggy is has better soundstage it must be absolutely amazing. I spent time with Yggy, enough to know the Qutest is in the same class, but I’ve never owned a Yggy. I’ll need to get my hands on one soon just for fun to have a longer proper comparison to Qutest.
They are both terrific . Neither are leaving my house and yes Qutest has excellent soundstage , etc .

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,645 of 6,744
Finally got to hear an M Scaler feeding the Qutest.

Really nice. If you like the Qutest sound it’s more of the same, with more textured highs, better bass, and wonderful liquid reverb through the midrange.
You can hear more in a track without having to turn it up.
My piddly server based upscaling as described above was ok, but the M Scaler is a whole different thing.
It didn’t sound immediately better though and it had a hard pushed midrange until I plugged it into the same power board as the qutest. Not sure why it didn’t like being on a different wall plug, but it all came together when on the same board.

Now it’s gone, It’s not the same without the M Scaler.

That mirrors my thoughts on the M Scaler

Once you plugged it in, it take you a while to adjust, but everything improves, albeit not day and night immediately on the ears
You listen to it for a couple of days, and once you remove it from the setup, that is where it hits you like a sledgehammer
The realization of how much it brings to the table hit you, followed by the horror it also brings to the decimation of the bank account

:bow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back