1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread

First

Back
232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241
243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252
Next

Last
  1. Staxaphone
    I stated “the Questyle is not equal to other DACs in performance”. This normally means it is not as good as. Your confusion is confusing.

2. Staxaphone
    To rephrase for you:

The Questyle current mode amplification is great

The Questyle DAC is not very good

The Simaudio DAC DSD performance was about same as Qutest

Qutest PCM performance is best of all DACs I have used

3. Jon L
    I own/use PCI-express USB3.0 cards from SOtM and JCAT, and yes they do sound different than Mobo's USB and from each other. PCI-ex cards do sound cleaner, denser, richer, even compared to my Mobo, which is purpose-built already powered by outboard linear PS, OS on M-SATA card, etc.

On a side note, for those who use Foobar and Qutest, and do not plan to splurge on M-scaler, do try the Foobar Resampler-V plugin for 44.1kHz material.
    I usually do not like resamplers, having tried and compared PPHS, SSRC, SRC extensively. Resampler-V lets you customize SSRC and SoX with various adjustments to arrive at a sound "effect" to your tastes. I still do not like how high sample rates sound (192 kHz, etc), but at 96 kHz and settings to extend LPF frequency response and still keep impulse response around 1 ms, I am able to simulate a certain "wetness" (some report Qutest sound as "dry") and immediacy while sanding off a a trace of 44.1kHz "edge." The settings will depend on your system and tastes, but for my main speaker system, something like this works...

[​IMG]0416192016 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. musickid
    Just popped in to see what was going on in this thread as a chord owner. It's really go go go here very lively to say the least.:rage:

5. OctavianH
    Many thanks for your advice, the Foobar plugin is new to me and sounds very interesting. What about JCAT and SOtM PCI-USB cards: can you describe the difference? I guess you are powering them externally with the LPS you mention. Do you use also a filter at the "end" of the USB cable before the DAC?

6. betula
    Apologies @Staxaphone it was late night and I misread your post. I am glad we are on the same page. :beerchug:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  7. Joe-Siow
    Thanks for proving my point so beautifully. LOL

I appreciate replies like this. At least an opinion is formed after you tried the equipment. I respect your opinion, as opposed to trolls who just know

8. Ragnar-BY
    Yggy was one of options, when I was looking for a new DAC. I would not say it sounds worse or better than Qutest. My impression was that those two are comparable, although Chord sound signature is closer to my taste. But apart from this Qutest have support for DXD and DSD (I have both types in my library and love how it sounds), Qutest takes less space on my table and it was 1.000 EUR cheaper than Yggy. Considering all this, I can say that for me Chord Qutest is much better DAC than Schiit Yggy. And that`s why I bought it.

9. If I go looking to buy a ferrari I'm not going to fool myself into believing a gremlin is fine.

10. supabayes
    Interesting to read opinion of Yggy vs Qutest. I own both. The Yggy is a very good dac and packed with both XLR and dual RCA outputs. The Qutest has only one set of RCA. I enjoyed using the Yggy to compare AB between two amps connected toYggy by RCA. I cannot do this even with my Dave.

11. supabayes
    I own the Yggy Rag stack, which headphone did you usewith the Schiit that you found to be veiled and bloated?

12. odessamarin
    ..why not Dave?! the same xlr and RCA there :wink: don't get you.

13. supabayes
    Maybe you don’t because I am comparing 2 amps with RCA inputs. It is possible to use an interconnect with XLR at DAVE and RCA connectors at amp side. I don’t own such an interconnect. Even if I own one, I don’t like that the XLR output voltage is double that of RCA when DAVE is in DAC mode. Crazy set up for AB comparison of amps.

14. odessamarin
    .. I see.. dual rca! from yggy.

15. Chop-Top
    2nd to possibly or top tier audeze. I can't recall exactly. will go back and look at the photos.

First

Back
232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241
243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252
Next

Last