1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread

First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last
  1. Focux
    any chance might there be a more economical alternative?

preferably not chi-fi type*

2. Joe-Siow
    I heard the Singxer SU-6 on my friend's speaker setup. I like what I heard. Pretty good upscale for a fraction of the price.

Wildcatsare1 and Baten like this.
  3. tesarpa
    Thank you for sharing your test results. Let me suggest to make cross test to exclude impact of interfaces and cables. Could you repeat it while Mojo on USB and Qutest on optical? I had a strange experience once, when I tried A/B of two DACs and finally found out that biggest differences were in RCA cables, which I unfortunately did not have same.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. gwertheim
    Actually for me quick changes are better. I used to do sound editing and I have trained my ears to pick out subtle changes in EQ.

We are all human and have different range in hearing and training. You might not agree with me but that's what makes us unique.

HumanMedia likes this.
  5. betula
    Both quick changes and long term listening are necessary for a profound and fair evaluation. Quick changes reveal the obvious differences, but can often be misleading as our brain usually needs 5-15 minutes to fully adapt to a new sound. Also, lot of the more subtle sound characteristics won't pop up just after a few days with living with the new gear. Focal Clear for example impressed me at first quite a bit but after a few days I just couldn't live with it.

Wildcatsare1 and Arniesb like this.
  6. Spareribs
    Maybe zeos couldn’t tell the difference because he was distracted by the cartoon anime girls

7. Wildcatsare1

My problem with Zeos is a) he’s not a “proper” reviewer, but he states his opinions as unequal truth, b) many in those 1,000 or so listeners take his reviews seriously, c) this can be an expensive hobby, misleading people into buying gear, or not buying, carries responsibilities. Those “followers” who take him seriously end up missing out on great equipment, while being pushed into buying cheap Chinafi. He hasn’t reached the peak of NWAVGuy, but is cut from the same horribly misleading audio fool profile.

Gibson59, Zzt231gr and alxw0w like this.
  8. Baten
    Honestly the price difference should not dictate the sound quality difference, if cheap gear gets you most of the way there (and that can really be the case depending on what you buy!) we should not be cheap- shaming people either.. let's not get too snobby/elitist

bikutoru likes this.
  9. Wildcatsare1
    Not my point, Zeos leading his followers to buy bad equipment, no matter the cost, due his poorly formed, and informed, opinions.

Gibson59 likes this.
  10. Baten
    OK, bad equipment, any examples? The Qutest review he kept comparing with the Geshelli which is a pretty decent/above average DAC and cheap. It is still an understandable statement that he personally would not buy something 9.5x its price.

I for one don't understand the saltiness these past pages. Do you really need the enforcement of reviewers to feel better about your purchase of the qutest? Can't he personally not find it worth it?

11. bikutoru
    I do agree with Baten.
    Since Wildcatsare1 mentioned the NWAVGuy.
    During that time lots of people that charged big buck for their dacs were very upset that somebody could create something decent and affordable.
    I do have the original ODAC and grateful to him for creating it, as at that time I couldn't afford anything north off $200. Still listen to it at least once weekly, it is no Chord dac but is very decent what it is and JDSLabs supports it way better than Chord supported Mojo.

12. Wildcatsare1
    Don’t even have a Qutest, just been around long enough to be able to identify a fraud when I see one. What’s the context in which the Geshelli an above average DAC, in comparison to what, to Chord, Schiit, Benchmark, or other ChFi gear?

My issues with Zeos aren’t about cost of gear, but more on the context of reviewing gear inappropriately or improperly, then spouting off opinions on that gear. If he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to take the time to learn about the subject, simple things like when and how to use tube gear, synergy matching headphones, amps, DACs, cabeling. Not just spouting off, on a subject he obviously knows very little about, with zero depth. It’s not about how many participation trophies he’s been given, or breathless reviews from his Mommy. It’s about working hard to be informed on the subject of your study.

onsionsi, Gibson59, Wes S and 2 others like this.
  13. Wildcatsare1
    NWAVGuy is rolling over in his grave, in his mind all you needed was his ”genius” work, nothing more. I will thank him for one thing though, he did demonstrate that even if the measurements of amps or DACs are off the charts good, they can still sound like Schiit.

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  14. dac64
  15. Gibson59
    Zeos can certainly be entertaining (and equally annoying) but I would never buy something based on his “review”. I can only watch for a little while before his shtick gets old. I couldn’t agree more with @Wildcatsare1 that he’s got very little credibility in his approach. I’ve only been into this hobby for a couple years and it’s readily apparent to me.

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last