Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 26, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #20,626 of 22,475
Anybody else got anything nice they would like to see on the new 2go2? I’m putting my name down for an upscaler, USB-C and improved (idiot proof for people like me) interface. How about some nice groovy anodising? A bright yellow to go with the black H2? Maybe a nice mid blue. We’ve got five weeks to create something perfect for ourselves before Chord burst the bubble!
I think most posters realise that the likelihood of a new 2Go is between zero and a small number, so won't bother posting.
If you want to dream of including in a single case, a 2Go type streamer (which required a lot of design effort to eliminate RFI) with a MScaler device (which generates a lot of RFI), then dream on but I think you will be disappointed.
It will always be cheapest for a manufacturer to minimise the number of colour finishes for a product (think Henry Ford), but if you want multiple bespoke finishes, then the product price will increase.
In design engineering terms, it becomes a trade-off between limited colour finishes, and more colour finishes but at a higher price.
I will not be surprised if few posters opt for groovy finishes, but at a higher price.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #20,627 of 22,475
Oh, I rather thought the Model T had come and gone, I was thinking more Fiat 500 or Citroen everything. You don’t see much designer joy for aesthetics in the rather stayed world of headphone audio, perhaps it’s up to Chord to break the mould (again). I’m still clinging to the idea of an all singing and dancing 2go. Hey, we can all dream.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #20,628 of 22,475
Anybody else got anything nice they would like to see on the new 2go2? I’m putting my name down for an upscaler, USB-C and improved (idiot proof for people like me) interface. How about some nice groovy anodising? A bright yellow to go with the black H2? Maybe a nice mid blue. We’ve got five weeks to create something perfect for ourselves before Chord burst the bubble!
Well, dont think it will ever happen but a 2go that actually works as advertized would be nice 👍

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #20,629 of 22,475
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a new streamer called Stack Audio Link II to feed my Hugo 2. It will replace my Allo DigiOne Signature. The Signature currently feeds my Hugo 2 via Coax. The Link II streamer only has a USB output.

Will it be fine to feed the Hugo 2 via USB? I'm assuming I just need a good quality cable with micro USB connector. Maybe these are silly questions. It's just I've only ever fed the Hugo 2 with Coax. I've never used USB before for streamer to DAC.

Thanks,
Andy.

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #20,630 of 22,475
Hello everyone, for the most part I've been enjoying my Hugo 2. However, for some time now I've been experiencing an issue that happens randomly where the device makes a loud static noise (similar) to the sound you get from the old crt tv's when you land on a channel that doesn't work. The issue goes away when I restart the decide, but I always have that worry that at any given time I'll have that loud blast of static through my headphones or speakers. Lately, the device has also been making the 3-4k region of my Stellia come across as overly harsh and fatiguing. I didn't have this issue in the past. I reached out to Chord about my issue (in the hopes of getting the device repaired), and got an automated message that my request had been received but no actual replies from the customer service, not a single reply for months. I'm concerned that if I ask again that I will get the same (no response). I just want to get my device repaired so I can go back to enjoying my gear again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #20,631 of 22,475
Hello everyone, for the most part I've been enjoying my Hugo 2. However, for some time now I've been experiencing an issue that happens randomly where the device makes a loud static noise (similar) to the sound you get from the old crt tv's when you land on a channel that doesn't work. The issue goes away when I restart the decide, but I always have that worry that at any given time I'll have that loud blast of static through my headphones or speakers. Lately, the device has also been making the 3-4k region of my Stellia come across as overly harsh and fatiguing. I didn't have this issue in the past. I reached out to Chord about my issue (in the hopes of getting the device repaired), and got an automated message that my request had been received but no actual replies from the customer service, not a single reply for months. I'm concerned that if I ask again that I will get the same (no response). I just want to get my device repaired so I can go back to enjoying my gear again. Has anyone else experienced this?
Change your USB cable.
I take it you are using USB, right?
That should cure the static (loss of digital synch).
All you need is a standard decent USB cable, nothing fancy.
If after changing the cable, you still have a harshness with your headphones, I can only say what helped me.
I do not have your headphone, mine is a Hifiman.
Changing my headphone cable to a solid core helped. Though I know Focal bundle really good cables ( I also have a Clear), and Hifiman cables are crap!
Don't get an expensive one, just an average solid core or make your own to test.
hope it helps.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #20,632 of 22,475
Change your USB cable.
I take it you are using USB, right?
That should cure the static (loss of digital synch).
All you need is a standard decent USB cable, nothing fancy.
If after changing the cable, you still have a harshness with your headphones, I can only say what helped me.
I do not have your headphone, mine is a Hifiman.
Changing my headphone cable to a solid core helped. Though I know Focal bundle really good cables ( I also have a Clear), and Hifiman cables are crap!
Don't get an expensive one, just an average solid core or make your own to test.
hope it helps.
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I don't believe the issue is a USB cable issue because the one I'm using is new. I'll resume playing back some audio and then I'll hear the noise blast through my speakers or headphones. It occurs randomly, could be 1 hour into using the Hugo 2 , could be 3 hours in. I never know when it's going to happen. It's more likely to occur when the Hugo 2 has been left on longer. As for the harshness I don't believe this is a cable issue since I didn't have the issue at the start when I first got the Hugo 2. I used to be able to enjoy the music through my Stellia just fine with no issues, but the harshness in the 3-4k region (that's where I narrowed the range to) has gotten to the point that listening to my headphones is almost unbearable due to how painful it is there. I'm thinking whatever internal issue is causing the loud static noise may have progressed and is perhaps responsible for the harshness I'm hearing that wasn't an issue prior. It sounds like this... only higher pitched.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #20,633 of 22,475
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I don't believe the issue is a USB cable issue because the one I'm using is new. I'll resume playing back some audio and then I'll hear the noise blast through my speakers or headphones. It occurs randomly, could be 1 hour into using the Hugo 2 , could be 3 hours in. I never know when it's going to happen. It's more likely to occur when the Hugo 2 has been left on longer. As for the harshness I don't believe this is a cable issue since I didn't have the issue at the start when I first got the Hugo 2. I used to be able to enjoy the music through my Stellia just fine with no issues, but the harshness in the 3-4k region (that's where I narrowed the range to) has gotten to the point that listening to my headphones is almost unbearable due to how painful it is there. I'm thinking whatever internal issue is causing the loud static noise may have progressed and is perhaps responsible for the harshness I'm hearing that wasn't an issue prior. It sounds like this... only higher pitched.

I have had this issue with both the Mojo and the Hugo 2 with defective USB cables. In my case those were Meenova Lightning to micro-USB cables. New cables solved the issue.
What are you using as digital source and how are you connecting to the H2?

Since you seem to be using the H2 in your stereo system, I‘d recommend using coax or Toslink. IME Toslink has the smoothest and fullest sound with the blackest background.
The effect depends on the source though. Make sure you get a high quality digital feed, it really makes a difference

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #20,634 of 22,475
I have had this issue with both the Mojo and the Hugo 2 with defective USB cables. In my case those were Meenova Lightning to micro-USB cables. New cables solved the issue.
What are you using as digital source and how are you connecting to the H2?

Since you seem to be using the H2 in your stereo system, I‘d recommend using coax or Toslink. IME Toslink has the smoothest and fullest sound with the blackest background.
The effect depends on the source though. Make sure you get a high quality digital feed, it really makes a difference
Thanks for the response, my Hugo 2 is connected to my HP Omen PC via a USB cable. The current USB cable I'm using is nothing crazy, but pretty decent. It's a micro USB to USB-A cable from a brand at Target called "Heyday". The one I had before it was a $20 Belkin cable. I've experienced the random static blast using either of the two cables connected to my computer. For music I primarily listen through Qobuz/Amazon music, if not streaming then I play songs that are stored locally on the computer. To run to my speakers, the Hugo 2 is connected via some pretty solid coaxial cables to the CD input on the back of my Rotel RA-1572 integrated amp which then powers my LS50's & Rel T9i sub (The rel has its own internal amp though). Through this connection the Hugo 2 basically serves as my main dac/preamp with the Rotel doing the heavy lifting for the speakers. On the Hugo 2 end its always set to the "line level output" when playing anything through the speakers. For the Stellia I just use the 1/4" jack on the Hugo 2, so in that chain it's just the Hugo 2 doing the work for my headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #20,635 of 22,475
I just want to get my device repaired so I can go back to enjoying my gear again. Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you buy it new from a shop? If so, talk to the shop first. It's definitely faulty.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #20,636 of 22,475
Did you buy it new from a shop? If so, talk to the shop first. It's definitely faulty.
There are multiple users who have had the same issue and as far as I know, it has been due to USB cable, me being one of them, @surfgeorge being another, there are more people out there, just a search away.
True both Mojo and Hugo2 are a bit picky when it comes to USB input, they use the same input chip. But once the USB cable is chosen correctly, they work OK.
As far as I know, Hugo2 has three year warranty, provided one has proof of purchase, Chord honours warranty! one of the benefits of buying British Hifi.
My Leema Dac was repaired free after 4 years, eventhough I had misplaced my receipt. My Meridian amp was repaired for free, 15 years after purchase! those days Meridian used to give life-time warranty.
Recently, Chord replaced the USB input chip on one of my Mojo's (out of warranty) for about £55 complete including p&p.
He should first investigate his computer and USB cable, if not the repair even with no warranty is quick and for reasonable fee.
I would try the unit on a laptop or a phone, with a fresh £10 Amazon basic cable - if I got no joy, then contact Chord to ship it back to them.
They were very accommodating for me, job was done perfectly and quickly.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #20,637 of 22,475
There are multiple users who have had the same issue and as far as I know, it has been due to USB cable, me being one of them, @surfgeorge being another, there are more people out there, just a search away.
True both Mojo and Hugo2 are a bit picky when it comes to USB input, they use the same input chip. But once the USB cable is chosen correctly, they work OK.
As far as I know, Hugo2 has three year warranty, provided one has proof of purchase, Chord honours warranty! one of the benefits of buying British Hifi.
My Leema Dac was repaired free after 4 years, eventhough I had misplaced my receipt. My Meridian amp was repaired for free, 15 years after purchase! those days Meridian used to give life-time warranty.
Recently, Chord replaced the USB input chip on one of my Mojo's (out of warranty) for about £55 complete including p&p.
He should first investigate his computer and USB cable, if not the repair even with no warranty is quick and for reasonable fee.
I would try the unit on a laptop or a phone, with a fresh £10 Amazon basic cable - if I got no joy, then contact Chord to ship it back to them.
They were very accommodating for me, job was done perfectly and quickly.
Thank you for your reply, I can try on another setup and see. Thankfully this time I was able to get a response back from Chord and if things go well hopefully I'll be able to ship it in for someone to take a look and hopefully get it repaired. I really appreciate all the responses, thank you!

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #20,638 of 22,475
Thanks for the response, my Hugo 2 is connected to my HP Omen PC via a USB cable. The current USB cable I'm using is nothing crazy, but pretty decent. It's a micro USB to USB-A cable from a brand at Target called "Heyday". The one I had before it was a $20 Belkin cable. I've experienced the random static blast using either of the two cables connected to my computer. For music I primarily listen through Qobuz/Amazon music, if not streaming then I play songs that are stored locally on the computer. To run to my speakers, the Hugo 2 is connected via some pretty solid coaxial cables to the CD input on the back of my Rotel RA-1572 integrated amp which then powers my LS50's & Rel T9i sub (The rel has its own internal amp though). Through this connection the Hugo 2 basically serves as my main dac/preamp with the Rotel doing the heavy lifting for the speakers. On the Hugo 2 end its always set to the "line level output" when playing anything through the speakers. For the Stellia I just use the 1/4" jack on the Hugo 2, so in that chain it's just the Hugo 2 doing the work for my headphones.
"line level output" ... It is 3V signal according to the manual. It can be too much for Rotel input. Check the maximum voltage on Rotel RCA imputs. On Yamaha 2200 (2,5V max input) I was using about half of H2 volume.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #20,640 of 22,475
Since my Hugo 2 is out of warranty, I was referred to this company by Chord to have them repair it in the U.S. https://www.theservicedepartmentct.com/
Has anyone had their device repaired by this company? Since Chord recommended them I'm sure they'll do a good job, my worry is upon looking at the "terms" on their website I noticed the $105 an hour rate. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little high on top of what it'll probably cost to repair the part that's faulty on my Hugo 2. Not even my car mechanic charges that kind of money hourly. Don't mean to come off like I'm penny pinching, I don't mind paying a little extra for quality work, but from my perspective that does seem a little high. With that said, if it's justified I don't mind paying that amount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back