Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #20,596 of 22,528
Is it me?
Sorry but this has probably been covered dozens of times on this thread. But is the 2go really as bad as it seems? I’ve got one on approval for a couple of weeks but at the moment it’s going back after a couple of days! Call me old fashioned but I don’t really want to stream music from an external provider, I just want to listen to my own stuff, a lifetime’s collection which runs to 700gb on a 1tb SD. Now even my old AK120 can read this in a few seconds, (as can AK’s more recent offerings having just borrowed a SP2000). But the 2go doesn’t seem to come anywhere near. It goes into “indexing please wait” mode for about ten minutes, and then after reading 22,000 songs it just gives up the ghost, the Hugo/2go goes into auto shutdown (even though they’re on charge). Then you restart the whole process and it just goes back to zero. Now as the 2go is supposed to be designed for 4tb you wouldn’t have thought this would be a problem. So Is it me? Am I missing something from Chord’s (almost non existent) instructions? Not going to be able to audition this unit at this rate.
I have no problem with 2Go's indexing. My two 1TB cards have >10k songs and 1k playlists, and 2Go took <3 minutes to index each card. Hugo2/2Go should not shutdown when they are on charge. Make sure Hugo2 is in USB input. Also, delete the index/cache files (dlna-sdfree.dat, mpd.db, art-cache-a.tar.gz or art-cache-b.tar.gz) before re-index.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #20,597 of 22,528
Is it me?
S a lifetime’s collection which runs to 700gb on a 1tb SD. Now even my old AK120 can read this in a few seconds, (as can AK’s more recent offerings having just borrowed a SP2000). But the 2go doesn’t seem to come anywhere near. It goes into “indexing please wait” mode for about ten minutes, and then after reading 22,000 songs it just gives up the ghost, . . .
Well I found myself in your situation too. I am not into web streaming, I have my own collection of albums too.
Now my current phone is a Huawei, which means it only works with "nm memory" (their own memory card) and it is limited to 256GB.
So I made this .

IMG_20201026_181830.jpg

It is a very thin USB OTG interconnect , made to work with my (then) Mojo , which also works with Hugo2.
On the cable there is a nano USB-HUB and a MicroUSB card reader! Hook it up, and my Android phone (any Android) would see an external storage (512GB in my case, but can go 1TB) and my DAC.
Neutron Media player app on my phone, reads the disc once and indexes it, takes about 1 minute with all artwork, the whole shabang! and remenbers it.
I can play off it, no problems - only niggle is to remember to unmount the disc before pulling the cable out, or after a few mishaps, card can get partition damage.
Total cost ? less than £100 including a samsung 512GB card and a seperate USB3 microsd card reader, to get full write speed if and ever I need too.
Cable is limited to about 20MB/s.

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #20,598 of 22,528
Thanks for those replies. Still struggling though really. Firstly if I’m spending the thick end of a grand on a streamer it really should do the basics like scanning an SD card straight off. Are you telling me the Hugo has to be switched to USB before it knows it’s got a 2go attached? Whatever happened to plug and play? I must admit I only ever use Hugo on optical input normally, but it always seems to find it straight off and start playing. And as regards deleting caches I’m afraid you really are barking up the wrong tree there, happy to say I’ve been PC free since I retired, and it’s going to stay that way. Certainly I shouldn’t be turning to some kind of external memory device when Ive just bought 4tbs worth of potential storage. Besides, my existing AK120ti which is probably good for 2,128gb (theoretically) is doing a brilliant job already. I must admit I have heard about some gremlins with the Chord software, this just seems to be one of them.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #20,603 of 22,528
Oh, By the way . .
Why is Hugo2 so big?
I mean there's a lot of empty space in there, since it does not heat up, it is not needed really. By comparison a Mojo is jam-packed.
Why is that?
If it was a little narrower, it would have been more mobile than transportable. My hands are not small, but picking it up would have been easier.
Judge for yourself:

hugo2trans.jpg
Mojo.jpg

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #20,604 of 22,528
2 gone
Well thanks for all the help on here, but at the end of the day, the 2go had 2go, I had it for another week or so but it was in too much danger of becoming a window bound projectile, so it’s gone. The story is basically this. Thanks to someone on here for suggesting I had the incorrect input which was the reason 2go/Hugo fell asleep fifteen minutes into SD card scanning. Of course I had the temerity to think that (near) 3 grands worth of hardware would be plug and play, silly me, but I can push a pretty colour button like anyone else so what the hell, though perhaps someone could slip a quiet note to the Chord design office. Anyway, happy days, I was up and scanning. So an hour or so later Go figure triumphantly tells me it’s found around 30,000 or so ”songs”, but no playlists (that’s right no playlists, I’m one of those weirdos who listens to “albums”, remember those?) Anyway, no problem it’s going to happily create playlists for me, which I actually don’t want but I’ll go with the flow. So 2/3 hours later ish (not sure because it was like 4 in the morning by then) I find I’m now the proud owner of a couple of thousand playlists, total joy, at least I was finally going to get to hear the 2go (at last). But alas I was too sanguine. After a bit of sleep (I do like some sometimes). I joyfully logged into Go figure expecting (not unreasonably) some action. But hang on a minute, it has to “fetch” the playlists. Well I was the best part of a sleepless night into this so I thought I can wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. EIGHTEEN HOURS later it was still “fetching” and I was still waiting. Restarted, still the same, restarted still the same……… you can guess the rest. And actually, that isn’t the bit that really p*ssed me off! The straw that broke the camel’s back was when I thought: okay, I can try again tomorrow, let’s just hook up to my trusty AK120 optical and enjoy a bit of music tonight. So I settle down as normal to a bit of well deserved joy and guess what? Second album in the Hugo dies! Yep. Hooked up to the 2go all day long and it never charges a milliamp. In fact i rather think it must have discharged. I’m a 5/6 hour stint when I get in the groove kind of guy and have NEVER had Hugo (1 or 2) die on me EVER. Too much for me I’m afraid, 2go was 2gone. I’m sure there’s hundreds of you out there loving streaming Roony or Cubey bus or some such with 2go and loving every second, but sadly, yours truely won’t be amongst them. My humble collection of a few thousand (mostly) CDs were obviously a bit too much (little) for such advanced technology. I even tried moving away from my 1tb SD to a more Fred Flintstoneish 64gb with just a few hundred “songs”, but Go figure just laughed at me. To be honest, a day or so is just a bit too long to scan in an SD card in anybody’s book. And I just had give out a wry smile as my (frankly archaic) AK120 scanned in my 1tb card in….. well I’m not sure how long it took, it just started playing straight away! Of course, if we were talking about ibasso or fiio or some such we’d all be rolling around in the isles now, but in the hallowed ground of Chord products, I get the distinct impression we’re not allowed to do that. Stay safe.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #20,605 of 22,528
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #20,606 of 22,528
2 gone
Well thanks for all the help on here, but at the end of the day, the 2go had 2go, I had it for another week or so but it was in too much danger of becoming a window bound projectile, so it’s gone. The story is basically this. Thanks to someone on here for suggesting I had the incorrect input which was the reason 2go/Hugo fell asleep fifteen minutes into SD card scanning. Of course I had the temerity to think that (near) 3 grands worth of hardware would be plug and play, silly me, but I can push a pretty colour button like anyone else so what the hell, though perhaps someone could slip a quiet note to the Chord design office. Anyway, happy days, I was up and scanning. So an hour or so later Go figure triumphantly tells me it’s found around 30,000 or so ”songs”, but no playlists (that’s right no playlists, I’m one of those weirdos who listens to “albums”, remember those?) Anyway, no problem it’s going to happily create playlists for me, which I actually don’t want but I’ll go with the flow. So 2/3 hours later ish (not sure because it was like 4 in the morning by then) I find I’m now the proud owner of a couple of thousand playlists, total joy, at least I was finally going to get to hear the 2go (at last). But alas I was too sanguine. After a bit of sleep (I do like some sometimes). I joyfully logged into Go figure expecting (not unreasonably) some action. But hang on a minute, it has to “fetch” the playlists. Well I was the best part of a sleepless night into this so I thought I can wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. EIGHTEEN HOURS later it was still “fetching” and I was still waiting. Restarted, still the same, restarted still the same……… you can guess the rest. And actually, that isn’t the bit that really p*ssed me off! The straw that broke the camel’s back was when I thought: okay, I can try again tomorrow, let’s just hook up to my trusty AK120 optical and enjoy a bit of music tonight. So I settle down as normal to a bit of well deserved joy and guess what? Second album in the Hugo dies! Yep. Hooked up to the 2go all day long and it never charges a milliamp. In fact i rather think it must have discharged. I’m a 5/6 hour stint when I get in the groove kind of guy and have NEVER had Hugo (1 or 2) die on me EVER. Too much for me I’m afraid, 2go was 2gone. I’m sure there’s hundreds of you out there loving streaming Roony or Cubey bus or some such with 2go and loving every second, but sadly, yours truely won’t be amongst them. My humble collection of a few thousand (mostly) CDs were obviously a bit too much (little) for such advanced technology. I even tried moving away from my 1tb SD to a more Fred Flintstoneish 64gb with just a few hundred “songs”, but Go figure just laughed at me. To be honest, a day or so is just a bit too long to scan in an SD card in anybody’s book. And I just had give out a wry smile as my (frankly archaic) AK120 scanned in my 1tb card in….. well I’m not sure how long it took, it just started playing straight away! Of course, if we were talking about ibasso or fiio or some such we’d all be rolling around in the isles now, but in the hallowed ground of Chord products, I get the distinct impression we’re not allowed to do that. Stay safe.
That experience sounds so familiar to almost everyone that owns a 2Go I'm sure, I certainly agree 100% with what you wrote there word for word.

I've just learnt to work-around the playlists "feature", anyone who says they are using playlists is probably just making it up in my opinion. I do use 2Go on the Go but for me its BubbleUPnP. If it wasn't for Bubble then I think my 2Go would be a £1000 paperweight.

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #20,608 of 22,528
Chord would be under pressure to ensure that it could still dock with the 2Go.
Can't see here any troubles...
Backward compatibility with 2Go doesn't seems like something extremely complicated
Also, I don't think it is mandatory condition

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #20,609 of 22,528
I use my 2Go as a Roon endpoint 100% of the time. Has been perfect for me from day 1.
Tried SD card playback via Rigelian on iOS&iPad OS&Mac OS and it went rather swimmingly too.

Ever since I got the Chord duo to use in living room (DAVE+Mscaler reserved for bedroom use), my SP2000 has been relegated to on-the-go duties only- even though it makes for a rather excellent Roon endpoint itself.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #20,610 of 22,528
I use my 2Go as a Roon endpoint 100% of the time. Has been perfect for me from day 1.
Tried SD card playback via Rigelian on iOS&iPad OS&Mac OS and it went rather swimmingly too.

Ever since I got the Chord duo to use in living room (DAVE+Mscaler reserved for bedroom use), my SP2000 has been relegated to on-the-go duties only- even though it makes for a rather excellent Roon endpoint itself.
My TT has moved to the desk and SP1000 is plugged in and on at the bedside as roon endpoint. I don’t use the poly much so never went down the 2Go path. What make of headphone stand is that in your avatar? Looks nice and high for Utpoia cable management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back