Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #20,641 of 22,522
Since my Hugo 2 is out of warranty, I was referred to this company by Chord to have them repair it in the U.S. https://www.theservicedepartmentct.com/
Has anyone had their device repaired by this company? Since Chord recommended them I'm sure they'll do a good job, my worry is upon looking at the "terms" on their website I noticed the $105 an hour rate. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little high on top of what it'll probably cost to repair the part that's faulty on my Hugo 2. Not even my car mechanic charges that kind of money hourly. Don't mean to come off like I'm penny pinching, I don't mind paying a little extra for quality work, but from my perspective that does seem a little high. With that said, if it's justified I don't mind paying that amount.
Better try to communicate with them for a quote with your issue.
Given a few hours to repair it, you might be better off to buy a new one.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #20,642 of 22,522
...Or move on from Chord altogether, I'm not sure what other high-end audio company would "pass-off" repairs to a third party repair outfit charging $105 an hour for repairs. Most would continue to honour the warranty on a £2000 2-3 year old high-end DAC, or perhaps I'm just being naive. 🤷‍♂️

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #20,643 of 22,522
Does some Hugo 2 owner know whether the AudioQuest female-to-male right angle RCA adaptors (part number M21F 90) perfectly fit the Hugo 2 RCA analog output sockets?

Unfortunately, the Hugo 2 has the RCAs sitting within very narrow bore holes in the body casing. I found that almost no RCA plugs on commercial cables would fit. In fact, I only know of AudioQuest RCA cables with their very slim plugs to fit, but I‘d like other cables. Thinking of Transparent Audio, for example. Thus I thought of the 90° RCA adaptors.

Thx.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #20,644 of 22,522

That's quite a few hours... 18-20 if buying new and probably a good 10-15 hours second hand... with no guarantee against future faults (secondhand).

I would just get in touch with them to get a ballpark figure and details of turnaround times etc.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #20,645 of 22,522
I do not know them, but if Chord pointed you to them, they are competent and authorized.
Have faith in Chord - contact the repair centre.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #20,646 of 22,522
Since my Hugo 2 is out of warranty, I was referred to this company by Chord to have them repair it in the U.S. https://www.theservicedepartmentct.com/
Has anyone had their device repaired by this company? Since Chord recommended them I'm sure they'll do a good job, my worry is upon looking at the "terms" on their website I noticed the $105 an hour rate. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little high on top of what it'll probably cost to repair the part that's faulty on my Hugo 2. Not even my car mechanic charges that kind of money hourly. Don't mean to come off like I'm penny pinching, I don't mind paying a little extra for quality work, but from my perspective that does seem a little high. With that said, if it's justified I don't mind paying that amount.
You want to sell it as is?
I am sure I can either get it to go, or get it repaired.
PM me.
I am gonna be in States soon.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #20,647 of 22,522
Can't see here any troubles...
Backward compatibility with 2Go doesn't seems like something extremely complicated
Oh it is. People will be screaming at Chord for making a micro-USB dac in the 2020s. :D

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #20,648 of 22,522
Does some Hugo 2 owner know whether the AudioQuest female-to-male right angle RCA adaptors (part number M21F 90) perfectly fit the Hugo 2 RCA analog output sockets?

Unfortunately, the Hugo 2 has the RCAs sitting within very narrow bore holes in the body casing. I found that almost no RCA plugs on commercial cables would fit. In fact, I only know of AudioQuest RCA cables with their very slim plugs to fit, but I‘d like other cables. Thinking of Transparent Audio, for example. Thus I thought of the 90° RCA adaptors.

Thx.
Been using RCA connectors oh Hugo 2 since day one and on Hugo 1 before that, I’m pretty sure the clearance was actually increased on H2. Soldered these onto Vorzkables some years ago. Not sure which ones they are but they have pretty big alloy shells and fit perfectly, so I’m surprised you’re struggling with proprietary cables.
36F9215A-E1BD-4BCD-B5F1-A3B968574174.jpeg

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #20,649 of 22,522
Been using RCA connectors oh Hugo 2 since day one and on Hugo 1 before that, I’m pretty sure the clearance was actually increased on H2. Soldered these onto Vorzkables some years ago. Not sure which ones they are but they have pretty big alloy shells and fit perfectly, so I’m surprised you’re struggling with proprietary cables.36F9215A-E1BD-4BCD-B5F1-A3B968574174.jpeg
why 2 amps?

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #20,651 of 22,522
I don't know what RCA cables you've been looking at, but there are plenty that fit. The only ones I haven't had fit well were ones that used large plugs because the cables were quite thick. If you want some super quality RCA cables and are willing to shell out the money: Moon Audio Silver Dragon with the WBT plugs.

As for right-angle adaptors, these should do nicely: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gold-Plated-2-Pack-Degree-Connector/dp/B08SMBQ48D

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #20,652 of 22,522
I don't know what RCA cables you've been looking at, but there are plenty that fit. The only ones I haven't had fit well were ones that used large plugs because the cables were quite thick. If you want some super quality RCA cables and are willing to shell out the money: Moon Audio Silver Dragon with the WBT plugs.
Poor poor Chord!
They get the blame for anything.
Let us look at this logically, shall we.
Hugo 2 is a Transportable almost portable DAC that runs on Batteries. So Chord logically recessed the sockets (thank god) so that nothing protrudes. Hugo 2 fits in a leather case, can be put in a hard case, hand bag etc. and won't get damaged.
Now if someone needs to connect industrial hose-pipes to it, they should get the right adaptors, and not complain.
You wanna complain? complain about the useless filtering button, can anyone hear a difference between them? and if you do, is it useful?
How about the brightness of the LEDs on low illumination? almost invisible! Mojo got it right, on LOW, it is low but visible.
What about the Low-Res BT? does anyone use Hugo2 as a low-res BT headphone? for casual listening? what's wrong with a £30 BT earphones for casual listening?
£2000 out-box is not for casual listening, I'd say.
Sacrilege !
Do you know what all that few grams of metal does to sound quality ?? Are you mad ?
The sound stage gets reduced, harshness in treble, and bass, don't get me going about bass.
:relaxed:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #20,653 of 22,522
Poor poor Chord!
They get the blame for anything.
Let us look at this logically, shall we.
Hugo 2 is a Transportable almost portable DAC that runs on Batteries. So Chord logically recessed the sockets (thank god) so that nothing protrudes. Hugo 2 fits in a leather case, can be put in a hard case, hand bag etc. and won't get damaged.
Now if someone needs to connect industrial hose-pipes to it, they should get the right adaptors, and not complain.
You wanna complain? complain about the useless filtering button, can anyone hear a difference between them? and if you do, is it useful?
How about the brightness of the LEDs on low illumination? almost invisible! Mojo got it right, on LOW, it is low but visible.
What about the Low-Res BT? does anyone use Hugo2 as a low-res BT headphone? for casual listening? what's wrong with a £30 BT earphones for casual listening?
£2000 out-box is not for casual listening, I'd say.

Sacrilege !
Do you know what all that few grams of metal does to sound quality ?? Are you mad ?
The sound stage gets reduced, harshness in treble, and bass, don't get me going about bass.
Broadly agree, but you have to remember when the Hugo was first released, it was intended for use as a desk top unit as well as a portable, (there was no TT then). That’s why it had RCAs (and excellent AC isolation) in the first place. And the same design concept was obviously retained for Hugo 2, and hopefully shall be for all Hugos to come. Can’t agree about the low level illumination either, just love it, not that I ever look at it!

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #20,654 of 22,522
can anyone hear a difference between them? and if you do, is it useful?

Yes, to my ears the filter does work on both the TT2 and the Hugo 2. There's a discernable difference and it's actually useful when listening to certain tracks that take the treble too far. But I agree that as a feature it pales in comparison to something like Crossfade.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #20,655 of 22,522

As for right-angle adaptors, these should do nicely: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gold-Plated-2-Pack-Degree-Connector/dp/B08SMBQ48D
Two RCA plugs that don‘t fit: The ones on Transparent Audio (Plus here), the standard WBT-0144 or (EDIT) WBT-0101, not even the smaller WBT-0147 (END OF EDIT). What cables? I‘d call them middle-of-the-road stuff (i.e. no garden hoses, no coat hangers), a.o. by AudioQuest (they are the only ones I found up to now that fit), Transparent Audio, Straight Wire. In Europe, Forza Audio Works told me that NO connector they use on their RCA cables as a standard does fit, but they could try and get appropriate ones. What for? Integration in a desktop system, certainly a legitimate use case.

Thanks, @Currawong!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back