Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #19,082 of 22,465
I want to use Hugo 2 in DAC only mode to bypass it's amplifier section as I want to use Topping A90 is line out mode same as DAC only mode or there's some other sequence.
Two things to note; it's heretical to speak about the Hugo 2 having an amp section. Second, punctuation is your friend.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #19,083 of 22,465
I want to use Hugo 2 in DAC only mode to bypass it's amplifier section as I want to use Topping A90 is line out mode same as DAC only mode or there's some other sequence.
From the Hugo 2 page @ Chord Electronics:

Line-level mode
Activated via dual press of middle ‘Source’ and ‘Crossfeed’ buttons. Line level = 3v via all outputs. Reset by power cycle

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #19,084 of 22,465
You can't bypass its «amplifier section» – both headphone output and line output are directly connected to the DAC's analogue output stage. You can just add another amplification stage (for whatever purpose). And there's no «DAC only mode», just a volume preset to 3 volts max.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #19,085 of 22,465
You can't bypass its «amplifier section» – both headphone output and line output are directly connected to the DAC's analogue output stage. You can just add another amplification stage (for whatever purpose). And there's no «DAC only mode», just a volume preset to 3 volts max.

@JaZZ is right here, it’s just a volume preset. You can set to the line-level volume preset by holding X-PHD button during start-up. The volume button should turn a light purple color. This doesn’t lock the volume, though, so be careful not to accidentally crank it up to max volume.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #19,088 of 22,465
To anyone who has successfully replaced Hugo 2 batteries, I have some follow up research/questions:

To recap, this is the most detailed description of the batteries on this thread, which identically matches my unit as well:

Those batteries are ligitmate. I opened my Hugo 2 and my batteries are exactly the same. My Hugo 2 was bought new from Audio-T in the UK.

I have taken a couple of pictures of inside my Hugo 2. Long story, had to open it anyway, so today seemed like a good idea to do it now. (What with all the battery talk.)

I could not get a complete picture of the battery label, but there is enough to show which battery. I could not get a complete picture of the battery label, because the batteries are stuck to the case. If you look under the word 'capacity', on one of my pictures, you can see the adhesive. I rolled the battery to see the label, but didn't want to move it further. I wanted the battery to still be stuck and it is, when I rolled it back into place. If I had pulled it off further, I could not be sure the battery would have re-stuck.

Anyway my pictures:

In this last picture you can see enough of the label. It can be identified as the same in the picture I got from the internet today. The one at the top of this post. That picture has the complete label.

My pictures confirm the 3350mAh battery. My battery life was 7.75 hours when new. Also note the connectors on them.

Also, there is a twitter post by Fidelizer Audio which matches: https://twitter.com/FidelizerAudio/status/1303888858879152129/photo/1

I am tentatively inferring the model number as:
PNCRBF18650-1S1P => P-NCR-BF-18650-1S1P
P = Panasonic
NCR = Base battery chemistry (Nickel Cobalt)
BF = Model demarcation
18650 = Physical size, of which we are already certain
1S1P = Single cell series, single cell parallel, which we have also agreed upon

Options that closely match the info above (worst to best):
Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA:
https://voltaplex.com/panasonic-sanyo-ga-18650-battery-ncr18650ga
The spec that stands out to me is the 10.0A continuous discharge rate. The max peak current output on the Hugo 2 is less than 1A, and I am certain that the rest of the electronics cannot use anywhere close to 18A continuously. I think this one is out of the running.

Panasonic NCR18650B: https://voltaplex.com/panasonic-b-18650-battery-ncr18650b
This seems to be appropriate. The size of the battery is very close to the space limitation inside the Hugo 2, however, Even with added padding for the anode/cathode covers it seems like it would fit. I've also seen this specific cell in a sale ad on head-fi as a replacement cell, but not confirmed installed and working inside the Hugo 2.

Panasonic NCR18650BF: https://voltaplex.com/panasonic-bf-18650-battery-ncr18650bf
Almost identical to the B series above, however, it is "intended for use in high capacity battery packs". I have yet to hone in on what that actually means. Spec wise, it is almost identical to the B series, aside from slight differences in chemistry and weight.

Has anyone replaced their Hugo 2 batteries with either of the above cells with long term or short term use? I am based in Canada and therefore somewhat reluctant to order a BF cell from Hong Kong, while the B cell is available readily in the country from reputable sellers.

Thanks for reading, friends, and stay safe
Ty

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #19,089 of 22,465
Has anyone replaced their Hugo 2 batteries with either of the above cells with long term or short term use? I am based in Canada and therefore somewhat reluctant to order a BF cell from Hong Kong, while the B cell is available readily in the country from reputable sellers.

Ty

Why not just get the correct batteries from Chord or your dealer?

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #19,090 of 22,465
Why not just get the correct batteries from Chord or your dealer?

It's over an order of magnitude cost difference, especially in Canada: The last relevant quoted price on this thread was $375 USD. The cost of the NCR18650B cells is approximately $35 CAD for the pair, and I am an experienced hand with electronics/soldering work. It would be an appropriate use of my skills if I can find the correct cells and save a considerable amount of money (to an undergrad student)

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #19,091 of 22,465
One thing I've noticed with my Hugo 2 is that the USB data cable is quite easily dislodged by even minor movement, meaning that sound is then cut off. Anyone else have this issue?

Catching up on this thread in parallel and thought I'd offer a solution. I've tried this on my own stock and custom silver micro USB cable and it works perfectly. Be sure to do it very gently, slowly increasing force if one round isn't enough to create a satisfactory lock. The micro usb connectors are extremely fragile on some cables, especially after having been used/stressed at some angles.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #19,092 of 22,465
It's over an order of magnitude cost difference, especially in Canada: The last relevant quoted price on this thread was $375 USD. The cost of the NCR18650B cells is approximately $35 CAD for the pair, and I am an experienced hand with electronics/soldering work. It would be an appropriate use of my skills if I can find the correct cells and save a considerable amount of money (to an undergrad student)
I am pretty sure that the chord batteries are not nickel cobalt, and lithium based instead.
Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and check with them before you buy any batteries.
The $375 that you quote is probably the price for the service centre to fit them, so it should be much cheaper if you diy.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #19,093 of 22,465
I am pretty sure that the chord batteries are not nickel cobalt, and lithium based instead.
Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and check with them before you buy any batteries.
The $375 that you quote is probably the price for the service centre to fit them, so it should be much cheaper if you diy.

Sounds good,

I've reached out to 4-5 dealers in my area and will send an email to Chord tomorrow as well.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #19,094 of 22,465
To anyone who has successfully replaced Hugo 2 batteries, I have some follow up research/questions:

To recap, this is the most detailed description of the batteries on this thread, which identically matches my unit as well:

Also, there is a twitter post by Fidelizer Audio which matches: https://twitter.com/FidelizerAudio/status/1303888858879152129/photo/1

I am tentatively inferring the model number as:
PNCRBF18650-1S1P => P-NCR-BF-18650-1S1P
P = Panasonic
NCR = Base battery chemistry (Nickel Cobalt)
BF = Model demarcation
18650 = Physical size, of which we are already certain
1S1P = Single cell series, single cell parallel, which we have also agreed upon

Options that closely match the info above (worst to best):
Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA:
https://voltaplex.com/panasonic-sanyo-ga-18650-battery-ncr18650ga
The spec that stands out to me is the 10.0A continuous discharge rate. The max peak current output on the Hugo 2 is less than 1A, and I am certain that the rest of the electronics cannot use anywhere close to 18A continuously. I think this one is out of the running.

Panasonic NCR18650B: https://voltaplex.com/panasonic-b-18650-battery-ncr18650b
This seems to be appropriate. The size of the battery is very close to the space limitation inside the Hugo 2, however, Even with added padding for the anode/cathode covers it seems like it would fit. I've also seen this specific cell in a sale ad on head-fi as a replacement cell, but not confirmed installed and working inside the Hugo 2.

Panasonic NCR18650BF: https://voltaplex.com/panasonic-bf-18650-battery-ncr18650bf
Almost identical to the B series above, however, it is "intended for use in high capacity battery packs". I have yet to hone in on what that actually means. Spec wise, it is almost identical to the B series, aside from slight differences in chemistry and weight.

Ty

Last time I had my Hugo 2 open I made measurements of the original Chord Electronics batteries. (The batteries that shipped with my Hugo 2.) The 18650 batteries come in different diameters so you need to know the diameter of the batteries you can fit. Bear in mind that the fitted Hugo batteries leave no space. They make an indent in the pad on the top cover of the Hugo 2.

Below is my finding having used a digital electronic caliper. (It was only a £10 from Amazon though, but it seems accurate. Maybe should have bought a quality one since I use it quite a bit.)

XH 2.54 plug (I think this is the plug that fits the Hugo 2 board.)
my battery 68mm (length)
gap on Hugo 2 board 72mm (length)
diameter 18.4mm - battery does make an indent in the pad on the top of the Hugo 2. (However it might fit an 18.5mm diameter battery.)
E.g. there is a 19.1mm on Farnell, at 3500mAh. That would not fit.

Enix Energies - MLG 9051 - the battery in the Hugo 2 in the HiFi World review.
Nominal voltage 3.73V
Nominal Capacity 3.0Ah
Nominal Energy 11.25Wh
Max Continuous discharge current ??
Charge voltage 4.2V
Max Charge Current 1.6A. Looks like 1.6A but I can't see it clearly.

Enix Energies - MLG 9015 - the battery in Hugo 2 without the XH 2.54 plug
18.6mm diamter x 68.5mm.
Nominal voltage 3.6V
Nominal Capacity 2.6Ah
Nominal Energy 9.6Wh
Charge voltage 4.2V
Max Charge Current 2.5A (Actually said 1.6A on a picture of the battery.) Says this on the Enix Energies website. (Li-Ion battery NX 1S1P ICR18650-26J + PCM (9.36Wh) UN38.3 3.6V 2.6Ah.)

The blue battery in my Hugo 2.
PNCRBF18650-1S1P
Nominal voltage 3.6V
Nominal Capacity 3.35Ah
Nominal Energy 12.06Wh
Charge voltage 4.2V (A guess)
Max Charge Current 2.5A (A guess)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #19,095 of 22,465
Last time I had my Hugo 2 open I made measurements of the original Chord Electronics batteries. (The batteries that shipped with my Hugo 2.) The 18650 batteries come in different diameters so you need to know the diameter of the batteries you can fit. Bear in mind that the fitted Hugo batteries leave no space. They make an indent in the pad on the top cover of the Hugo 2.

Below is my finding having used one of those digital measuring things. Can't recall the name.

XH 2.54 plug (I think this is the plug that fits the Hugo 2 board.)
my battery 68mm (length)
gap on Hugo 2 board 72mm (length)
diameter 18.4mm - battery does make an indent in the pad on the top of the Hugo 2. (However it might fit an 18.5mm diameter battery.)
E.g. there is a 19.1mm on Farnell, at 3500mAh. That would not fit.

Very interesting!
The length measurement seems to indicate that the cells are equipped with a protective circuit.
Nominal length of the Panasonic NCR18650BF is 65.3mm, the circuit is usually mounted on the negative pole and adds to that length.

1603277078398.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back