Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 4, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #14,701 of 22,475
I wish Chord had designed the case for the Hugo 2. I understand that they saw the Van Nuys case and like it, and made that their official case. However I prefer the design of the Mojo case which Chord made. I was listening to Mojo again tonight (with DAP), and I could not take my hands off the Mojo case. The Mojo is a very tactile object anyway. For me the Mojo case is perfect. I like the rubber insets around the buttons area. The overall feel is downright special.

Whereas the Van Nuys Hugo 2 case looks kind of plain. It looks made of one sheet of leather, whereas the Mojo has plastic and then leather. (The plastic probably makes the Mojo case tougher, in the event of an accident.)

Anyway, just saying. The Hugo 2 case is probably nicer in the hand, than it looks in mages. (The Mojo case is nicer in hand than it looks in pictures. Then once it's on the Mojo it's stunning.)

The H2 can get a bit hot while in use and/or charging so I recommend no case and getting a case to transport and store it instead. I use one of these and it works well: https://amzn.to/2SMCsiB

9161cA9XtzL._SL1500_.jpg

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #14,704 of 22,475
I don't think people are selling because they looking for better DAC. I think it's because they either need the money, or moved on to bigger or better things in life.

To be the Chord Hugo 2 is one of, if not the best DAC under £3000.

or, this could be the reason (and don't kill the messager):

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/24/17273218/chord-hugo-2-review-dac-headphone-amplifier

For all its technical greatness, however, the Hugo 2 simply doesn’t sound musical. Vocals are that one degree too cool, the treble is that little touch too sharp and punchy, and the balance is simply off. There’s no humanity to the music that comes from the Hugo 2, and that becomes apparent over a longer listening session with good headphones.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #14,705 of 22,475
Well everyone can sell their Hugo 2 if they want to. Not me. I don't know if I'd call myself an" audiophile" but IMHO there's no better transportable DAC that I can use on-the-go with my DAPs, across all of my headphones and IEMs, at my desktop from my iMac and in my main home system all to my total satisfaction...period. At least until the Chord Hugo 3 comes along.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #14,706 of 22,475
@Rob Watts i know you have and like the aeon flow closed. i like this headphone too. the hugo 2 drives well this headphone? sorry in advance if you had post your impression and thank you in advance

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #14,707 of 22,475
@Rob Watts i know you have and like the aeon flow closed. i like this headphone too. the hugo 2 drives well this headphone? sorry in advance if you had post your impression and thank you in advance
It easily can and might be a good match cause the aeon flow is a warm sounding headphone.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #14,708 of 22,475
I'll try not to kill the messenger. But, reading that article, I'm lead to thinking that his thinking the H2 is non-intuitive, shows his lack of intuition. For Bog sake, a blind guy can use the thing even with all the lights. And I've honestly not heard a better sound signature. And if Firefox won't connect to the Ifi site, try IE or Chrome and move on.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #14,711 of 22,475
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #14,712 of 22,475
It surprises me that folk keep dragging up that 'theverge' review of the Hugo 2.

I think that the Hugo 2 was possibly the fastest reviewed product ever. There were zillions of reviews about it, very quickly. That said a lot to me. It was hotly anticipated, and folk wanted those online pro-reviews. The result was outstandingly positive.

Yet we have one reviewer who didn't get it, or wanted attention. Or the possibility that the Hugo 2 and Qutest do need some running-in. I have seen a review saying it the Qutest needed a week. I personally knew the Hugo 2 or I, needed time to get to know each other. The Hugo 2 outfaced me with detail when I started, so I sat in front of it for a month. I knew it was right from the start though.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #14,713 of 22,475
A counter argument is okay but needs to be substantially backed up. Normally the majority who are free to evaluate honestly must have a good reason for the way they feel.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #14,714 of 22,475
Nov 5, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #14,715 of 22,475
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back