Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 3, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #11,312 of 22,535
I run direct to my amp (First Watt F6). The crystalline clarity of the H2 is impressive... but I too know what you mean. Still tweaking. Perhaps I'll look into the Freya?

Or give your brain / ears a little more burn in time? Alternatively it might just be something such as the interconnect cable to the amp. I run Dave direct to a Pass Labs power amp and with one cable it is perfect. With a different one it initially seems to have more detail but after extended listing it becomes tiring.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #11,313 of 22,535
Or give your brain / ears a little more burn in time? Alternatively it might just be something such as the interconnect cable to the amp. I run Dave direct to a Pass Labs power amp and with one cable it is perfect. With a different one it initially seems to have more detail but after extended listing it becomes tiring.
I had an iTube2 at one point. It helped some, but when I took the iTube2 out and ran the H2 direct, the music became more colorful. So I want to persist with the direct approach. It's just I get this sheen/glare on some tracks.
The weird thing is that sometimes I notice it, and other times it seems to calm down and sound darker.
I'm in the process of upgrading my source and using a DDC with coaxial output. I'll see how that goes.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #11,314 of 22,535
Perhaps a related data point for First Watt owners. I had my 2Qute when I owned a F7 and ran 2Qute direct to amp (using digital volume control).
The sound was horrid and I needed to insert a preamp. Yet with my SET amp the sound direct was glorious. I communicated with Nelson Pass and the best he could offer up was the impedance mismatch. So despite the 2Qute's low output impedance something was off.(the SET had 100k input vs the F7 10k)
I suffered for 6 months with the F7, trying cables, power, different speakers even different DACs...but it never like being driven directly from 2Qute, although was okay driven by a exasound e22. Something about rob watts output section? So I sold the F7 and moved to a ZOTL40 ...which my review Hugo2 absolutely loved, BTW, and I anticipate the same for my Qutest on order.
Just FYI.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #11,315 of 22,535
Perhaps a related data point for First Watt owners. I had my 2Qute when I owned a F7 and ran 2Qute direct to amp (using digital volume control).
The sound was horrid and I needed to insert a preamp. Yet with my SET amp the sound direct was glorious. I communicated with Nelson Pass and the best he could offer up was the impedance mismatch. So despite the 2Qute's low output impedance something was off.(the SET had 100k input vs the F7 10k)
I suffered for 6 months with the F7, trying cables, power, different speakers even different DACs...but it never like being driven directly from 2Qute, although was okay driven by a exasound e22. Something about rob watts output section? So I sold the F7 and moved to a ZOTL40 ...which my review Hugo2 absolutely loved, BTW, and I anticipate the same for my Qutest on order.
Just FYI.

In perhaps similar vein I have never been able to get Hugo1, Mojo or Dave to sound good direct into my valve power amps and needed a preamp. The sound was woolly, ill defined, not good at all. I use a Music First transformer volume control and all sounds the way it should.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #11,316 of 22,535
The sound was horrid and I needed to insert a preamp. Yet with my SET amp the sound direct was glorious. I communicated with Nelson Pass and the best he could offer up was the impedance mismatch.
Interesting. The F6 has 100k thankfully, and I will say that the F6 adds plenty of weight to the Hugo2. It's also a better match than my previous amp (lavardin model it) which was a special sounding amp but didn't seem to like the Hugo2 sound. I believe there is a new First Watt B1 preamp with gain coming out, so that could be worth waiting for.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #11,317 of 22,535
Interesting. The F6 has 100k thankfully, and I will say that the F6 adds plenty of weight to the Hugo2. It's also a better match than my previous amp (lavardin model it) which was a special sounding amp but didn't seem to like the Hugo2 sound. I believe there is a new First Watt B1 preamp with gain coming out, so that could be worth waiting for.
I have noticed a curious phenomenon with HUGO2 and not sure if this is normal. When plugged into the wall power and charging the remote on off button turns H2 on but if it is unplugged on battery power, the remote will not turn on the device and must use the onboard power button. Seems like a strange deficiency. Is this normal or do I have a defective H2?

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #11,318 of 22,535
I have noticed a curious phenomenon with HUGO2 and not sure if this is normal. When plugged into the wall power and charging the remote on off button turns H2 on but if it is unplugged on battery power, the remote will not turn on the device and must use the onboard power button. Seems like a strange deficiency. Is this normal or do I have a defective H2?
it's perfectly normal, Hugo 2 wont power on with the remote when not plugged into the wall power otherwise the remote receiver should be on all the time draining the battery...

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #11,319 of 22,535
Totally random.... There are two small screw holes on the USB side of the Hugo 2, which, my guess are there for the future 2Go to add structural integrity when attaching the two pieces together. But in looking at pictures of the 2Go, I didn't notice any mechanism to screw into the H2. I'm wondering (not asking, just postulating) if Chord added a 90 degree screw mechanism, so that the horizontal screw protrusions from the 2GO are tightened and loosened from some 90 degree mechanism on the bottom. You see that a lot with connecting pieces together in carpentry (and also in some IKEA furniture).

#totallymeaninglesssaturdaymorningrandomthought

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #11,320 of 22,535
it's perfectly normal, Hugo 2 wont power on with the remote when not plugged into the wall power otherwise the remote receiver should be on all the time draining the battery...
Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if this feature is to conserve power from the batteries then why does the remote work in battery mode but just can’t turn on the H2 when not plugged in?

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #11,321 of 22,535
I am sure someone else has asked this before but if not. i am wondering would the sound be altered in a positive way if i changed the output from 2v to 3v? i am using the hugo 2 as a dac only at the moment.
one other question, can anyone recommend a usb c to micro usb cable i could use to connect hugo 2 to my phone?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #11,322 of 22,535
I am sure someone else has asked this before but if not. i am wondering would the sound be altered in a positive way if i changed the output from 2v to 3v? i am using the hugo 2 as a dac only at the moment.
one other question, can anyone recommend a usb c to micro usb cable i could use to connect hugo 2 to my phone?
I use a forza cable to connect a shanling M1 to mojo or hugo2. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...oth-4-0-aptx-dsd.816385/page-95#post-13019170
There are also links for some much cheaper cables, that get good reviews as well https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...th-4-0-aptx-dsd.816385/page-136#post-13193301

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #11,323 of 22,535
Welcome to head fi but until you actually buy a Chord Hugo 2 and we want a pic you holding it on your head standing on one leg,trust me we all had to do it in Ere,I'm not gonna talk to you

So I finally got my Hugo 2!!!

Well you'll have to trust i was standing on one leg on this pic :laughing:

photo5247059214088644842.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back