Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #11,327 of 22,546
I am looking to buy a DAP to connect to my Hugo 2 to bridge the time until the 2Go arrives. And I would love if you fine people can help me to figure out what would be good options. Primarily I am looking for the following functions:
  • Allows to store and play Tidal offline files
  • Must connect to the Hugo2 and be used as a transport
  • Ideally have a function the would allow the DAP to be controlled by the phone, so I can put it in my bag while connected to the Hugo2 and forget about it
  • It would also be great if it has good sound quality in case I just take it by itself without the Hugo2 but this is not mandatory
Thank you all for you your help :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #11,328 of 22,546
Does anyone know if HUGO 2 output power is same as HUGO1?

Hugo2 has more power output than Hugo1.

Hugo1:

70mW - 300 Ohms
600mW - 32 Ohms
720mW - 8 Ohms

Hugo2:

94mW - 300 Ohms
740mW - 33 Ohms
1050mW - 8 Ohms

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #11,329 of 22,546
So since my question was lost in the shuffle i will ask again. Does changing from 2v to 3v improve the sound in any way if i am using an the hugo 2 as a dac only?

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #11,330 of 22,546
It is very dependent on the equipment/amplifier that you connect the Hugo 2 to.
If the amp has a max input voltage of 2V, then supplying it with 3V creates a risk of causing distortion. If the amp can handle a much larger voltage (people often use tube amps as an example), then 3V should pose no problems.
The first step should always be to try and discover the amp spec for input voltage, and if that is 3V or more, then enjoy some trial and error with the Hugo 2 to discover if you enjoy the sound signature.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #11,331 of 22,546
I am looking to buy a DAP to connect to my Hugo 2 to bridge the time until the 2Go arrives. And I would love if you fine people can help me to figure out what would be good options. Primarily I am looking for the following functions:
  • Ideally have a function the would allow the DAP to be controlled by the phone, so I can put it in my bag while connected to the Hugo2 and forget about it
  • It would also be great if it has good sound quality in case I just take it by itself without the Hugo2 but this is not mandatory

Hard requirements my friend...
  • I am using AK300 but it doesn't cover your first point (only Tidal online). Ak70 could be enough for you.
  • Another option is to use your smartphone connecting it to the Hugo2 via bluetooth.
Maybe other headfiers can propose most complete options.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #11,333 of 22,546
So since my question was lost in the shuffle i will ask again. Does changing from 2v to 3v improve the sound in any way if i am using an the hugo 2 as a dac only?

My amp, well it’s an AV receiver, has automatic and manual (using software vu meters) setting of voltage for all analogue inputs. So like the old cassette days, it’s a matter of going as high as you can without too many peaks in the ‘red’. I found 2.3v ideal with my Hugo 1, too high and the amp put out a warning of overload and sounded distorted.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,335 of 22,546
Hard requirements my friend...
  • I am using AK300 but it doesn't cover your first point (only Tidal online). Ak70 could be enough for you.
  • Another option is to use your smartphone connecting it to the Hugo2 via bluetooth.
Maybe other headfiers can propose most complete options.

Thanks for your input buddy! I was thinking AK as well but the lack of offline storage for Tidal would be a bummer.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #11,336 of 22,546

Probably Onkyo's DP-X1A which has Google Play Store by default which means you can download Android apps from the store with no fuss - which should include the full Tidal Android app. Then install some Android remote control apps like Aio Remote or whatever alternatives you can find on the net should get you there.

Basically you just need to find something that has full Android and Play Store support (which rules out AK by default), and as far as I know for certain the big Android based Onkyo/Pioneer players would satisfy that requirement (not the small ones like DP-S1 - those runs Linux). Perhaps others from Fiio can as well but I'm not verse on Fiio players.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #11,337 of 22,546
Probably Onkyo's DP-X1A which has Google Play Store by default which means you can download Android apps from the store with no fuss - which should include the full Tidal Android app. Then install some Android remote control apps like Aio Remote or whatever alternatives you can find on the net should get you there.

Basically you just need to find something that has full Android and Play Store support (which rules out AK by default), and as far as I know for certain the big Android based Onkyo/Pioneer players would satisfy that requirement (not the small ones like DP-S1 - those runs Linux). Perhaps others from Fiio can as well but I'm not verse on Fiio players.

Those are really good advices. How about the iBasso DX200 for example? Would that work?

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #11,338 of 22,546
Those are really good advices. How about the iBasso DX200 for example? Would that work?

I don't believe the DX200 has Play Store installed by default, you might have to play with flashing ROMs or download APKs with another device etc to get things working.

The good thing with the Onkyo players is that they are vanilla Android WITH Play Store installed by default, so it saves you from having to mess too much with the player when you can just download apps directly from the Play Store (less chances of malware and messing with bad flash too). Plus they are cheaper than the DX200 but still build pretty well and handles well as a standalone player, if you are only tying yourself over till the 2Go comes I don't see the need for a fairly high end player such as the DX200 while a mid-fi device like the DP-X1A is actually better suited for the features you are looking for IMO.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #11,339 of 22,546

I use the Onkyo X1 as a transport via the otg cable supplied with the Hugo2. I bought the onkyo originally because it was balanced and had two memory cards that supported 256g. As a transport I no longer use the additional hw for audio (balanced). I believe the way the audio is implemented on the onkyos you can only use the native music player to play out of the microusb port. I use USB Audio Pro to overcome this limitation and use tidal as well as upnp servers (I use a WD 4tb drive that runs twonky). I'm not sold on android myself. Albeit I was thinking about something like a dx200 or sony wm1z as other possible transports. I'm holding out for the 2go though and don't want to waste money on something temporary (which is what i consider the onkyo at this point). I haven't tried to use aptx yet and that may be a fairly viable solution to overcome some limitations and not use an otg cable. I'm not sure if I am helping, I like my onkyo and am using a dignis case that allows me to strap the 2 together (case - http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/prod...ugo2-amp-case/182/?cate_no=85&display_group=1). The case is pricey but very functional for use with most transports. In a pinch I still have the balanced/unbalanced out natively with the onkyo which I thought were adequate to drive most iem's and many regular hp's. The 2go is the ultimate solution for this device and the direction I will ultimately go in. The other thing the 2go is rumored to do is be a roon endpoint. As a roon user this is highly desirable to me as well. I love my Hugo2 and use it traveling extensively. Having such high quality audio on the go is a real luxury and makes the trips more enjoyable.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #11,340 of 22,546
I use the Onkyo X1 as a transport via the otg cable supplied with the Hugo2. I bought the onkyo originally because it was balanced and had two memory cards that supported 256g. As a transport I no longer use the additional hw for audio (balanced). I believe the way the audio is implemented on the onkyos you can only use the native music player to play out of the microusb port. I use USB Audio Pro to overcome this limitation and use tidal as well as upnp servers (I use a WD 4tb drive that runs twonky). I'm not sold on android myself. Albeit I was thinking about something like a dx200 or sony wm1z as other possible transports. I'm holding out for the 2go though and don't want to waste money on something temporary (which is what i consider the onkyo at this point). I haven't tried to use aptx yet and that may be a fairly viable solution to overcome some limitations and not use an otg cable. I'm not sure if I am helping, I like my onkyo and am using a dignis case that allows me to strap the 2 together (case - http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/prod...ugo2-amp-case/182/?cate_no=85&display_group=1). The case is pricey but very functional for use with most transports. In a pinch I still have the balanced/unbalanced out natively with the onkyo which I thought were adequate to drive most iem's and many regular hp's. The 2go is the ultimate solution for this device and the direction I will ultimately go in. The other thing the 2go is rumored to do is be a roon endpoint. As a roon user this is highly desirable to me as well. I love my Hugo2 and use it traveling extensively. Having such high quality audio on the go is a real luxury and makes the trips more enjoyable.

Good to see some personal experience sharing.

The thing is if someone wants to use Tidal offline, there's no choice but to go with a player which uses full Android which can install the Tidal app. As nice as players like the Sony WM1Z are it doesn't have Tidal support because it is not an Android based player, thus it is not something the OP can hope to use. If one wants full Tidal offline streaming support, the player being full Android-based is a necessary evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back