Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #11,341 of 22,546
I am looking to buy a DAP to connect to my Hugo 2 to bridge the time until the 2Go arrives. And I would love if you fine people can help me to figure out what would be good options. Primarily I am looking for the following functions:
  • Allows to store and play Tidal offline files
  • Must connect to the Hugo2 and be used as a transport
  • Ideally have a function the would allow the DAP to be controlled by the phone, so I can put it in my bag while connected to the Hugo2 and forget about it
  • It would also be great if it has good sound quality in case I just take it by itself without the Hugo2 but this is not mandatory
Thank you all for you your help :)

iPhone X with 256 memory. It is my link until 2Go is released.

The H2 is certainly worth getting good sound quality. The iPhone X is used with NePlayer or Onkyo. The former gave me a bit of trouble with DSD classical files.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #11,342 of 22,546
I had to replace my iPhone and went with iPhone X (I love it) with 256 memory. It is my link until 2Go is released. With Poly falling into place now, perhaps consider holding off an investment of money as 2Go gets closer?

The H2 is certainly worth getting good sound quality. The iPhone X is used with NePlayer or Onkyo. The former gave me a bit of trouble with DSD classical files.

To ILyaX with the photo of h2 on his head:

Congratulations and thank you for the photo. It is one of those "this is impossible not to smile at" pictures!

If Chord outlined an approximate roadmap when the 2Go would be released then I would totally agree with you that holding off would be the right option. But for all I know (and drawing from the Poly launch) it might take another year or longer. Any big events coming up that would likely merit an official 2Go unveiling?

EDITED FOR SPELLING

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #11,343 of 22,546
If Chord outlined an approximate roadmap when the 2Go would be released then I would totally agree with you that holding off would be the right option. But for all I know (and drawing from the Poly launch) it might take another year or longer. Any big events coming up that would likely merit an official 2Go unveiling?

EDITED FOR SPELLING
What price will the 2go be? Poly was more expensive than mojo,is this gonna be the case with the Hugo 2 against the 2go

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #11,344 of 22,546
What price will the 2go be? Poly was more expensive than mojo,is this gonna be the case with the Hugo 2 against the 2go

I certainly hope not. Assuming it has the same functionality, plus maybe an ethernet connection and a second SD-Card slot, it shouldn't cost that much more than the Poly. Of course this is only my layman perspective.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #11,345 of 22,546
OK - I had to keep Freya in the system as a preamp, without it I was getting a bit of headache listening to Hugo 2 directly connected to the amp. This was not desired setup because I wanted minimum circuit path from source to amp. But with Freya in, I get a warmth (just enough), deeper and wider soundstage. I am happy.

I have to say Hugo 2 has really amazing piano sound. Most realistic piano sound I heard from non piano ^^

I found that improving the quality of the digital transport helps a lot with this kind of thing.

I am sure someone else has asked this before but if not. i am wondering would the sound be altered in a positive way if i changed the output from 2v to 3v? i am using the hugo 2 as a dac only at the moment.
one other question, can anyone recommend a usb c to micro usb cable i could use to connect hugo 2 to my phone?

Set the volume control at whatever is suitable for the amp you're using it with. As I understand it, the way Rob designed the volume control it will not affect sound quality so the level doesn't matter.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #11,346 of 22,546
Since the Mojo was designed to a constrained pricepoint, I'm not surprised with the price ratio between Mojo and Poly. Leading me to think that the 2go, who's function is as a Poly to the Hugo2, wouldn't be much more expensive than the Poly. But, we're just speculating in a vacuum right now. But, still fun, neh?

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #11,347 of 22,546
Good to see some personal experience sharing.

The thing is if someone wants to use Tidal offline, there's no choice but to go with a player which uses full Android which can install the Tidal app. As nice as players like the Sony WM1Z are it doesn't have Tidal support because it is not an Android based player, thus it is not something the OP can hope to use. If one wants full Tidal offline streaming support, the player being full Android-based is a necessary evil.

I'm not sure if USB Audio Pro does offline with tidal. BTW you could always use it as a line out on the 3.5mm to the h2 3.5mm in.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #11,348 of 22,546
Since the Mojo was designed to a constrained pricepoint, I'm not surprised with the price ratio between Mojo and Poly. Leading me to think that the 2go, who's function is as a Poly to the Hugo2, wouldn't be much more expensive than the Poly. But, we're just speculating in a vacuum right now. But, still fun, neh?
I never really paid much attention to the poly then read 2go and streamer in the same sentence and my ears pricked up,I would only be using tidal,no-one knows except Chord but I wonder if sound quality would be better than all those dap and phones out there used as a transport?also I want to know if I can have it connected to the mains while I'm listening to music at home? Yes fun times..

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #11,349 of 22,546
I'm not sure if USB Audio Pro does offline with tidal. BTW you could always use it as a line out on the 3.5mm to the h2 3.5mm in.

Are you referring to Hugo2’s 3.5mm digital coaxial input because the Hugo2 can not use the 3.5mm line-out (analogue) output of a source device.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #11,350 of 22,546
I think it might be risque to assume across the board that rca out is without any doubt better than headphone out. More evaluating is needed before everyone starts believing this as set in stone IMHO.:ab:

Hello musickid, this post of yours gives me an opportunity to correct some misinformation I provided in my latest post here.
Qutest is indeed available in Singapore and with Qutest you have no other choice. You have to connect headphones via rca to a separate headphone amp,since there is no headphone socket.
I bought one today by the way.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #11,351 of 22,546
I spoke to Mitch from Chord today sound fella,I'm sure I'm not telling anyone on here something they don't already know but he confirmed that the 2go will have an Ethernet socket and it can be powered up all the time that I'm playing music,I asked him on any date or price but couldn't say,I asked Nintronics and they reckon Christmas time at a show somewhere,I'm definitely getting it now,just not very good at waiting

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #11,352 of 22,546
I never really paid much attention to the poly then read 2go and streamer in the same sentence and my ears pricked up,I would only be using tidal,no-one knows except Chord but I wonder if sound quality would be better than all those dap and phones out there used as a transport?also I want to know if I can have it connected to the mains while I'm listening to music at home? Yes fun times..

On sound quality, the Poly has been the absolute best that I and many others on the Poly thread have heard the Mojo sound, so presuming the same would apply to Hugo/2Go.

Also, I don’t hear any difference playing MojoPoly while charging or on battery, but usually listen on battery to be sure there is possible mains noise. Desktop mode for Hugo would probably also sound great.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #11,353 of 22,546
The 2GO might just be the next step I need to improve in my chain - a RoonReady device which is not a computer and is dedicated to playing music without all of the interference a computer brings. And something I can move around the house with and have the exact same (probably best possible) sound quality out of the H2? A dream.
My only hope is that it will be priced similar to the Poly (which IMO is overpriced as a Mojo appendage), because I'm not paying a H2-like price for it...

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #11,354 of 22,546
Hello musickid, this post of yours igves me an opportunity to correct some misinformation I provided in my latest post here.
Qutest is indeed available in Singapore and with Qutest you have no other choice. You have to connect headphones via rca to a separate headphone amp,since there is no headphone socket.
I bought one today by the way.
Cheers Christer

Wow Christer, you have caught us all a little off guard - a bit like this! :ksc75smile:

giphy.gif

Impressions?

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #11,355 of 22,546
Are you referring to Hugo2’s 3.5mm digital coaxial input because the Hugo2 can not use the 3.5mm line-out (analogue) output of a source device.

I stand corrected no line level in. Forgot, sorry,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back