Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #11,281 of 22,546
I think it might be risque to assume across the board that rca out is without any doubt better than headphone out. More evaluating is needed before everyone starts believing this as set in stone IMHO.:ab:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #11,282 of 22,546
I think it might be risque to assume across the board that rca out is without any doubt better than headphone out. More evaluating is needed before everyone starts believing this as set in stone IMHO.:ab:
Right said Kev. I have a perfectly great cable for my LCD-X and get a beautiful presentation from H2, through it. I don't see the point in the experiment. Just something on which to spend my time, rather than listening to music.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #11,283 of 22,546
The interesting thing about this is that you still end up plugging your 3.5mm jack into a 3.5mm socket. The only difference is that your 3.5mm socket is inline as opposed to chassis mounted. Indeed you have added an additional set of contacts into the system.

If you wired your HP or IEM direct into the RCA plugs then it is vaguely possible that the extra surface area of the RCA contact might help but this is negated by the way you have done it.

Do you have any thoughts why the sound appears better the way you have tried?

The only reason I can imagine is that inside the Hugo 2, the headphone sockets, wire and the connections are of poor quality and this adapter/cable improves on that.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #11,284 of 22,546
The only reason I can imagine is that inside the Hugo 2, the headphone sockets, wire and the connections are of poor quality and this adapter/cable improves on that.

???? If the internal stuff was of poor quality then how would using this adapter/cable arrangement improve things?

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #11,285 of 22,546
???? If the internal stuff was of poor quality then how would using this adapter/cable arrangement improve things?

I would assume that the RCA connectors and the internal connections to them are better than the headphone jacks and the internal connections to them. Therefore an improvement is experienced if the headphone jacks are bypassed. It is hard to make sense of anything else.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #11,286 of 22,546
But hasn't Rob Watts stated recently that the two headphone & RCA outputs all connect to the same electronics inside the case?

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #11,288 of 22,546
But hasn't Rob Watts stated recently that the two headphone & RCA outputs all connect to the same electronics inside the case?

Yes, and he ain't lying. If you have a better explanation for why an adapter cable connected to the RCA outs sounds better than the headphone outs, please give it. To constantly repeat what we already know and what has already been written many times is not very helpful.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #11,289 of 22,546
What’s with the Hugo thread? Black cases and rca out sound better than silver and headphone out, lol.

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #11,290 of 22,546
I got my Hugo 2 in today. I noticed it has a rattle. If it is normal, It does not bother me. I just want to make sure something didn't come loose during shipping. Anybody know if this is normal?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #11,291 of 22,546
I got my Hugo 2 in today. I noticed it has a rattle. Reference this video for what I'm talking about:

If it is normal, It does not bother me. I just want to make sure something didn't come loose during shipping. Anybody know if this is normal?

Yep, it's normal for the buttons to have that rattle. Enjoy your new H2!

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #11,293 of 22,546
Speaking of which....

I use H2 in desk top mode most always. The exception is at the high school ice hockey arena.

I do this via bluetooth and enjoy it.

With a bit of respite this week, I finally had the opportunity to do some critical listening, via Bluetooth and I understand the need for 2Go.

With the Bluetooth connection, I picked up some low level static at times; something I had not heard in the noisey arena. I look forward to the release. Did you hear any hints of time frame?

PM sent

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #11,294 of 22,546
But to get back at least partly On Topic I inquired about Quetest at the Adelphi here today and they said not until June.Same in KL by the way
I thought they had an unboxing video of Quetest several weeks back. Strange that it's not available for audition.

CanJam sg is happening in late march at Pan Pac hotel, you might still get a chance to listen to the Quetest there.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #11,295 of 22,546
I just got my Hugo 2 today. It will be replacing Schiit Bifrost Multibit / Freya setup. H2 sounds very different than the Schiit setup. As an initial impression, H2 is very transparent and detailed. Need to test different inputs, so far I tried toslink and usb. Usb sounds better... but will see what sounds best using better cables. For those who use hugo 2 with loud speakers, please share your experience. Do you use it as preamp or just dac only? Is ifi ipower 5v 2.5a better than stock charger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back