Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #11,267 of 22,544
2017-10-01 10.47.39.jpg
IMG-20180109-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20180113-WA0005.jpg

hugo poon talk about how RCA on hugo2 is actually better than both 6.3 and 3.5 jack in the previous post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/page-709#post-14013122

i decided to give it a try, ordered a cable worth roughly 5$.

just did a 30min AB test with AEON C(same volume level blue light), the RCA output is better at sound-stage and imaging, and it is very obvious.

i finally feel aeon is fully driven on the hugo2.

how strange...

if you happens to got the cable, please try, and maybe it will save you the trouble of getting an portable AMP

So pleased to hear that you gave it a try and enjoyed the difference.:)

As I mentioned before, we did not invent this new setup: it's a photo (see the first pic) on facebook that caught our eyes. However, when we checked with Labkable (the cable supplier) we felt the price was a little too high considering it's a pretty simple and short connector cable. A good friend of mine decided to make it himself (with a Wireworld platinum eclipse 7). We're all amazed by the improvement but we didn't stop there. We futher experimented with different plugs and ended up using the WBT (the Audio Note silver plated plugs are good too)...

Cheers,
Hugo

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #11,268 of 22,544

So pleased to hear that you gave it a try and enjoyed the difference.:)

As I mentioned before, we did not invent this new setup: it's a photo (see the first pic) on facebook that caught our eyes. However, when we checked with Labkable (the cable supplier) we felt the price was a little too high considering it's a pretty simple and short connector cable. A good friend of mine decided to make it himself (with a Wireworld platinum eclipse 7). We're all amazed by the improvement but we didn't stop there. We futher experimented with different plugs and ended up using the WBT (the Audio Note silver plated plugs are good too)...

Cheers,
Hugo

The interesting thing about this is that you still end up plugging your 3.5mm jack into a 3.5mm socket. The only difference is that your 3.5mm socket is inline as opposed to chassis mounted. Indeed you have added an additional set of contacts into the system.

If you wired your HP or IEM direct into the RCA plugs then it is vaguely possible that the extra surface area of the RCA contact might help but this is negated by the way you have done it.

Do you have any thoughts why the sound appears better the way you have tried?

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #11,269 of 22,544
The interesting thing about this is that you still end up plugging your 3.5mm jack into a 3.5mm socket. The only difference is that your 3.5mm socket is inline as opposed to chassis mounted. Indeed you have added an additional set of contacts into the system.

If you wired your HP or IEM direct into the RCA plugs then it is vaguely possible that the extra surface area of the RCA contact might help but this is negated by the way you have done it.

Oh as mentioned before, after confirming that the RCA out do sound better, we made a special headphone cable! Have been sticking to this since then... just no way to go back to the headphone outs!:)
IMG-20180113-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #11,270 of 22,544
Oh as mentioned before, after confirming that the RCA out do sound better, we made a special headphone cable! Have been sticking to this since then... just no way to return to the headphone outs!:)

Sorry, missed that. Like you say, no going back!!

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #11,271 of 22,544
I actually found that the Hugo 2 does good with poorer quality recordings.

I didn't mean to say that poor quality recordings sound extra poor on the H2, not at all. It's just that with good recordings you can really see what it can do compared to other DACs and with lesser recordings the difference is not as big.

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #11,273 of 22,544
Can we see some photos of the view you see? :) :)
You want pics?We've veered way off topic already haven't we?
I just could not resist responding to ChisChas's well put post in my own way.
But to get back at least partly On Topic I inquired about Quetest at the Adelphi here today and they said not until June.Same in KL by the way
So my chances of auditioning one while still in Asia seem slim indeed.
I am flying back home at the end of May.
Tomorrow I am planning to audition a Devialet amp that supposedly can output 4,550 Watts peak power.
Cheers Christer

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #11,274 of 22,544
I've tried it twice on different days and with different types of music and both times it was clear as day - my Burson Soloist degrades the sound compared to the headphone out of the H2.

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #11,275 of 22,544
I noticed differences with different interconnecting cables between Hugo 2 and BHA1. Differences were only noticed on HD800S not other headphones. The different interconnecting cables were Amazon basic RCA-RCA and Hosa 6.35-3.5. Using latter cable I thought accoustic instruments lost some fullness and certain sounds were clinging more to my right ear. The differences are subtle and I basically wrote it off to the Hosa cable.

I m satisfied with direct output into headphones via H2’s 6.35 mm socket. Never tried RCA direct into headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #11,277 of 22,544

Sorry, missed your last question. Have to be frank, I have no clue at all. But I have almost given up finding the answer just like I don't need to know why the Hugo 2 is sounding better (to me) than some even more expensive dac or dap like the SP1000 (which is marvelous). What's important is I seem to have found a way to make this amazing music playing equipment sound even better and if more H2 lovers can enjoy this, it will be tremendous joy.:)

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #11,279 of 22,544
The very talented Peter Gabriel in concert with circular stage, no wonder many consider him so highly, love the sound through Hugo 2 + Utopias + Moon Audio Black Dragon cable. Being a Peter Gabriel concert there are sophisticated visuals/installations, his daughter Melanie is on backing vocals and Tony Levin of King Crimson is on bass. The set features a moving outer rim to the stage. The Blind Boys of Alabama provide backing vocals on Sky Blue and come up through an access panel in the stage.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #11,280 of 22,544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back