Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #11,251 of 22,543
Yes ! I had a nice relaxed chat with John F. I will be be organising a UK tour for Hugo2 Togo (Poly), when available ..........

Speaking of which....

I use H2 in desk top mode most always. The exception is at the high school ice hockey arena.

I do this via bluetooth and enjoy it.

With a bit of respite this week, I finally had the opportunity to do some critical listening, via Bluetooth and I understand the need for 2Go.

With the Bluetooth connection, I picked up some low level static at times; something I had not heard in the noisey arena. I look forward to the release. Did you hear any hints of time frame?

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #11,252 of 22,543
Sorry guys/gals if this is an old topic, but the search function isn't providing me with many answers, just questions from others having issues.
61YJKsIWKTL._SL1200_.jpg

Using Sony WM1A USB Digitial Out with Hugo 2

I have seen this question asked before and the capability confirmed, but never a "how to" so I assumed it was "plug and play." I purchased the Sony Micro USB plug ËWM-PORT conversion adapter pictured above to go usb out to the Hugo 2 with no luck. I used the Chord supplied micro usb to micro usb cable to connect to this adaptor to the hugo 2 usb input (to the left) and changed the input to USB (white)..... nothing. Apparently, it is not "plug and play."

Am I missing something obvious? Does the Sony have a usb output option that needs to be selected? Any specific help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #11,253 of 22,543
Sorry guys/gals if this is an old topic, but the search function isn't providing me with many answers, just questions from others having issues.

Using Sony WM1A USB Digitial Out with Hugo 2

I have seen this question asked before and the capability confirmed, but never a "how to" so I assumed it was "plug and play." I purchased the Sony Micro USB plug ËWM-PORT conversion adapter pictured above to go usb out to the Hugo 2 with no luck. I used the Chord supplied micro usb to micro usb cable to connect to this adaptor to the hugo 2 usb input (to the left) and changed the input to USB (white)..... nothing. Apparently, it is not "plug and play."

Am I missing something obvious? Does the Sony have a usb output option that needs to be selected? Any specific help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure that the Sony supports external USB dacs?
This link mentions hopes that the firmware would be updated to allow it.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #11,254 of 22,543
I always like how mike has an instant mental database of internet links and resources to answer just about any question posed. its comical in an intellectual sense of course. :basketball:

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #11,255 of 22,543
I always like how mike has an instant mental database of internet links and resources to answer just about any question posed. its comical in an intellectual sense of course. :basketball:
You do flatter me.
I remembered that in the past, people have had issues trying to connect phones and daps which do not support usb out, to the mojo.
So I googled the product name, and then checked some of the links. :wink:

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #11,257 of 22,543
My Audioquest cables fit HUGO without any problems, but "the other Chord company's" cables are a pain to connect.

I have the Chord (Company) Clearway RCA pair. No problems with fitting. I love it.

It's already sounding much better, and I'm now at the 1 week mark!
Good recordings really shine with the H2, while mediocre recordings don't benefit as much from it.

It will only get better. That's what I think and I mean only to be honest.

I actually found that the Hugo 2 does good with poorer quality recordings. I was saying quite a few weeks/pages ago, that my copy of Shirley Bassey CDs sound good with the Hugo 2. They are recording from the 70s so quite well made, but they sound a bit old. I bought a double CD of two albums together. Good, Bad, but Beautiful .. and .. Never Never Never, sound really good with the Hugo 2. .... Songs like No Regrets, and Shirley's tone, the timbre of her voice are compelling, even though the recording sounds dated. Send in the Clowns of course is always going to be a special one from her. Shirley's voice is so smooth and soothing.

Anyway I am in rambling on territory here. Just wait until you have become fully accustomed to the Hugo 2. I'd say be prepared to wait even a month until you know what the Hugo 2 can do. I mean so you're listening to the Hugo 2 without thinking about it. In other words, you're listening to the music, rather than analysing the Hugo 2 sound quality. .......... Having said all this, I loved the Hugo 2 from day one. Initially I found it expertly detailed, impeccably neutral, and with natural warmth. However I need time to adjust to the more advanced 3D sound that the Hugo 2 makes. (On amplifier and speakers.) I upgraded from the Mojo, so I knew what to expect, and that it would take a while. Since it took a while to totally get used to the Mojo.

For me it took about two weeks, but a bit more maybe to completely relax. (I didn't analyse because I bought it from pro-reviews, and was sold from moment one of listening.) ... However another aspect to consider in how long it took me was this. I listened to the Hugo 2 non-stop when I bought. I was feeling that life was far to short not to be listening to it. The Hugo 2 might take someone else longer or shorter, to get used to, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #11,259 of 22,543
hugo poon talk about how RCA on hugo2 is actually better than both 6.3 and 3.5 jack in the previous post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/page-709#post-14013122

i decided to give it a try, ordered a cable worth roughly 5$.

just did a 30min AB test with AEON C(same volume level blue light), the RCA output is better at sound-stage and imaging, and it is very obvious.

i finally feel aeon is fully driven on the hugo2.

how strange...

if you happens to got the cable, please try, and maybe it will save you the trouble of getting an portable AMP

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #11,262 of 22,543
Maybe the "thing" inside H2 is being mischievous and misbehaving.:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #11,263 of 22,543
maybe the "thing" inside H2 is being mischievous and misbehaving.:deadhorse:

Have you guys thought that the RCA cables are 75 ohm rated? It might be an impedance mismatch where it sounds warmer and distant due to poor damping factor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back