Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #11,296 of 22,540
Yes Hugo2 is very clear and detailed, makes mojo sound too warm and muddy in comparison using my IE800S. I like mojo and the senns together but not for hours it’s too relaxed sounding combination, I prefer incisive and transparent.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #11,299 of 22,540
Does someone know how I can use the ASIO Driver like the one in I use in JRiver for the Hugo 2 in Windows 10? Somehow I like the sound of of the ASIO Driver (ASIO Chord 1.05) more than the one that Windows uses.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #11,302 of 22,540
o constantly repeat what we already know and what has already been written many times is not very helpful.

Don't be such a spoilsport, I just lurve being as unhelpful as possible, ha ha.......................

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #11,303 of 22,540
Are you sure that the Sony supports external USB dacs?
This link mentions hopes that the firmware would be updated to allow it.
A few in this thread have listed that they are using sony docks with no problem to move a digital signal and others have pictures using a proprietary cable. Unfortunately, they are all referring to a third party experience with the cables and I don't know who is actually using this setup.

In general though, the information is very conflicting.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #11,304 of 22,540
A few in this thread have listed that they are using sony docks with no problem to move a digital signal and others have pictures using a proprietary cable. Unfortunately, they are all referring to a third party experience with the cables and I don't know who is actually using this setup.

I've been using a WM1Z with the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable and a normal micro USB cable into Hugo 2 with no issues at all. For giggles I tried it feeding DAVE also, and that worked fine as well.

While that is not how I intend to use the Hugo 2 in real terms (I'd either use the WM1Z or the Hugo 2, can't see carrying both), it has presented no issues at all.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #11,305 of 22,540
I've been using a WM1Z with the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable and a normal micro USB cable into Hugo 2 with no issues at all. For giggles I tried it feeding DAVE also, and that worked fine as well.

While that is not how I intend to use the Hugo 2 in real terms (I'd either use the WM1Z or the Hugo 2, can't see carrying both), it has presented no issues at all.

Must be this adaptor I purchased doesn't support digital out then.
61YJKsIWKTL._SL1200_.jpg

I will have to buy one of the other more expensive versions.
61Qi7RbamPL._SL1500_.jpg

51STAO1VRrL._SL1200_.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #11,306 of 22,540

BTW, are you able to send files from the Z at full res such as DSD through the USB out? I am currently using my AK100ii optical out as the source which limits my resolution. Was hoping to go full resolution with the WM1A digital out.

Does the USB input degrade the sound quality, or is this USB implementation good enough in this WM1A > Hugo 2 configuration?

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #11,307 of 22,540
BTW, are you able to send files from the Z at full res such as DSD through the USB out? I am currently using my AK100ii optical out as the source which limits my resolution. Was hoping to go full resolution with the WM1A digital out.

The WM1Z will output DSD64 (1x) and DSD128 (2x) natively (via DoP or RAW-DSD) via USB (and the cable I mentioned) and the Hugo 2 will play it (sample rate indicator shows as white for DSD). DSD256 (4x) and higher will get converted to high-bit-rate 24-bit PCM. High-resolution PCM content also works fine.

I assume this is the same for the WM1A.

I'm using firmware version 2.00.

Does the USB input degrade the sound quality, or is this USB implementation good enough in this WM1A > Hugo 2 configuration?

Sounds the same as other inputs - whether that's due to the Hugo 2's USB input, or the quality of the WM1Z's USB output, I can't say. Sounds excellent though (if a bit redundant).

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #11,308 of 22,540
I'm using Hugo2 with Ifi iGalvanic which I like to keep on all the time since it has long warm up time. Is it so that H2 doesn't shut down in desktop mode if it's connected to device which is on?
So what would be optimal way to use H2 for battery life in this case?

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #11,309 of 22,540
OK - I had to keep Freya in the system as a preamp, without it I was getting a bit of headache listening to Hugo 2 directly connected to the amp. This was not desired setup because I wanted minimum circuit path from source to amp. But with Freya in, I get a warmth (just enough), deeper and wider soundstage. I am happy.

I have to say Hugo 2 has really amazing piano sound. Most realistic piano sound I heard from non piano ^^

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #11,310 of 22,540
OK - I had to keep Freya in the system as a preamp, without it I am getting a bit of headache listening to Hugo 2 directly to the amp. This was not desired setup because I wanted minimum circuit path from source to amp. But with Freya in, I get a warmth (just enough), deeper and wider soundstage. I am happy
I run direct to my amp (First Watt F6). The crystalline clarity of the H2 is impressive... but I too know what you mean. Still tweaking. Perhaps I'll look into the Freya?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back