Audeze LCD-MX4
Feb 27, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #286 of 907
Reply to Mshenay, who said: "lot of talk but have you actually heard it?"

My reply: Yes I have heard the MX4 and also the LCD-4. The LCD-4 was much better than the MX4 --- IMO.
BTW, I own the LCD-X, Focal Utopia, Stax 700, Ether Flows. and others.
I understand that there's still a loaner program offered by a popular dealer where you can audition the MX4 in your home if you pay the shipping both ways (I don't want to a loaner hassle at this time).
In addition, I believe Audeze Inc. offers a 30-day return privilege if you buy directly from them at full list price.

When I first heard the LCD-4, I seriously considered purchasing it even at the $4000 list price - if only it was not so oppressively heavy on my head (@600 gm.).
I thought that the LCD-4 sounded better than my Utopia - LCD-4 was perhaps more pleasing or euphonic to my ears (?)
A 400gm. LCD-4 weight would have been wonderful, and for me, go a long way to justify the big bucks.
I have a problem wearing my heavy LCD-X for more than say, one hour at a time.

While the new MX4 did indeed sound better than my LCD-X, I have decided that IMO, MX4 is worth perhaps a bit over $2K (again, only my opinion) - not $3K list. If the MX4 ever goes on sale for $2K or less, then I may reconsider getting the MX4.
If Audeze offered the light weight MX4 with LCD-4's great sound quality (incorporate an LCD-4 diaphragm - or even something closer in lower moving mass) then I probably willing to pay $3K.
To summarize, my listening impression was the LCD-4 sound quality was much better than the MX4 .. However, perhaps if I had the MX4 in my home for a few weeks my impression might change a bit? -- I'm not sure.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #288 of 907
Hello headfiers!

Several people send me PM to ask my opinion about the controversial Audeze LCD MX4. That is why I finally decided to summarise and write it down.

But before starting just take into account all of this.

DISCLAIMER
+ I have received LCD MX4 from my family as a personal present for my birthday.
+ I am not part of any audio shop or brand.
+ It is not a formal review, just my so subjective, honest and humble opinions.
+ It is public that I have decided to list my LCD MX4. Nothing to hide.

BACKGROUND
+ I actually have several TOTL headphones like Utopia, 800s and Zeus XRA.
+ I have tested during the last years a lot of headphones, DACs, AMPs and sources from different brands.
+ All the tests were performed using Hugo2 as DAC/AMP and AK300 as source or just directly connected to a MacBook Pro.
+ I love jazz, vocal and acoustic music. But in general I love well recorded music, no matter the genre :wink:
+ I am mostly agree with the opinions of @mangler here, but with some differences.

10075822_thumb.jpg
10075821_thumb.jpg

PACKAGING & ACCESORIES

Audeze includes his new box with the MX4. It is wider than the previous one but the quality is the same.
Nothing to comment. Nice quality, awesome protection... in one word: OK.

Inside the box you will find:
+ Headphones.
+ Premium 2m cable with 6.3mm connector.
+ Premium adaptor from 6.3mm to 3.5mm.
+ Certificate card.
+ USB.

IMG_5477.jpg

The main cable is so good. Is light, flexible and with a narrow section.
I don't like the color because it is glossy black and looks cheaper than it actually is.
Connectors are light but strong too.

In confidence, if you asked me, I wouldn't invest more money in a new customised cable.

Of course, for the price you expect one more balanced cable but I know why Audeze decided not to include it.
You don't need it at all.

Remember that we are talking about 20 ohms and 105db headphones. It has no sense to connect this headphones through XLR to an AMP. You are not going to get nothing more. Just we have to think in another way. You can get 100% of these headphones with your laptop or phone. Connected to MacBook Pro I can not pass over 30-35% of volumen.

In any case if Audeze wants you to pay 3.5K€, Audeze should reconsider the included accessories... or the price.

IMG_5474.jpg IMG_5475.jpg

HEADPHONE MATERIALS & WEIGHT
Just you don't have to expect the Utopia finishes because they are totally different. But the construction quality is superb.
The carbon fiber and perforated leather band, the magnesium housing,... and especially the leather pads. They are sooo big and wide. Fully confortable.
MrSpeakers has to learn something about pads looking Audeze ones.

Something that most of you ask, what about the weight?
Definitely they are lighter and more confortable than LCD4. But don't expect something like 800s.
In my humble opinion MX4 are more confortable than Utopia because of the headband and pads, but less than 800s.
You feel that Audeze wanted to create one pair of headphones to wear all the day long.

SOUND PROFILE
Sound stage

In my humble opinion sound stage in LCD4 is deeper than wider. Especially if you compare them to other headphones like 800s that it is huge but not ideal for all the music.
On the other side, the Utopia's sound stage is so balanced and credible with all the genres.
Regarding MX4 and talking exclusively about size, the sound stage is:
+ Bigger than LCDX.
+ More or less like Utopia.
+ Smaller than LCD4.

Besides there is no problem in pointing and separate every instrument in the scene with MX4.
Listening Cocteau the surrounded effect is so impressive.

Lows + Mids + Highs
I don't like LCDX. In my humble opinion they are too much in the highs.
In this case LCD MX4 has a more controlled highs without losing the detail that LCDX has.
But of course they are less detailed than Utopias or Zeus. I said less detailed not warmer.

Mids are better than LCDX too, again more balanced.
They are not lay down or recessed like EL8 Titanium.
Just you feel them, in front of your face like most of the Audeze headphones. Ideal for intimate voices.

And now the lows part.
Here you have a more controlled and balanced bass similar to the Utopia's, a little bit less detailed but with more body.

If you are searching for LCD4 bass, this is not the case.
If you are searching the rumble of LCDX, this is not the case.
But if you like a balanced and not intoxicating bass, these are your headphones.

I have the opportunity to test MX4 side by side with LCDi4.
The MX4 bass is quite better than LCDi4, but LCDi4 are detailed than MX4 in mids and highs.

In conclusion, I can describe MX4 like Focal Utopia with little more body and a little less detail in all bands. Sound stage is similar. So credible.

If you know ZEUS XRA, Utopia are "like" Zeus XRA with black adel module and R sound profile, while MX4 are "like" Zeus XRA with red/orange adel module and XIV sound profile.

THESE HEADPHONES ARE FOR...
+ For someone who is looking for a good pair of headphones for all genres.
+ For someone who spend a lot of time listening music with headphones. Extremely confortable.
+ For someone who don't want to attach anything to his laptop or mobile phone to enjoy music. It is amazing the performance of this headphones directly to a MacBook Pro or iPhone. I have never feel something similar before.
+ For someone who loves balanced sound... not warm, not plain, not boring... balanced (like Utopia).

THESE HEADPHONES ARE NOT FOR...
+ For bassheads
+ For crystal clear detail lovers

WHY I AM LISTING THEM?
As I said, I have several TOTL headphones so I am not looking for a headphone for everything.

So, just to sum up, now I prefer to invest my money in more specific sound profiles to complete my collection... Audeze MX4 should stay with me if I haven't purchased Utopia before.

THE AUDEZE MISTAKE
I started this post talking about these controversial headphones. Some people love MX4. Other just said that they are like a cr...p.
Look, IMHO there is no problem at all with these headphones. The problem is in the marketing that Audeze performed with them. Let me explain.

If you brand a new pair of headphones including the number 4, and you write in your webpage "A perfect combination of the LCD-X and LCD-4", and you define a 3.5K price ... people started to think about these:

LCDX--------------------LCDMX4----LCD4 And simply it is not the case.

Just because LCDX and LCD4 are totally different to LCDMX4.
It is the same with LCDi4. Audeze said "LCD4 in an IEM"... again IMHO it is not the case.

The sound profile of MX4 is more similar to Utopia (with less detail in all bands) than LCDX or LCD4.
Is it bad? Not at all. It is great because they are more confortable and you can use them with a mobile phone, a laptop or a DAP and get 100% of them.

But you have to explain it to people. In other case people will buy a pair of headphones expecting 90% of LCD4 sound profile and then problems started.

So I think it is time to forget that false perception of MX4 like a 90% LCD4 and start to evaluate them like a new headphones with a totally different sound profile (similar to Utopia and different to any other Audeze).

And then maybe you like it or not... fair enough!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #289 of 907
Hello headfiers!

Several people send me PM to ask my opinion about the controversial Audeze LCD MX4. That is why I finally decided to summarise and write it down.

But before starting just take into account all of this.

Thanks!

Like your name suggests, Mike is Right! That's what most people probably think about these cans -- in between the LCD-X and the LCD-4 with a slight bias towards the 4's in more ways than just price. Cool to have your suggestion of just considering the MX4 as a totally different set of cans! :D

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #290 of 907
Like your name suggests, Mike is Right! That's what most people probably think about these cans -- in between the LCD-X and the LCD-4 with a slight bias towards the 4's in more ways than just price. Cool to have your suggestion of just considering the MX4 as a totally different set of cans! :D

Comparing LCD4 with LCD MX4 is as fair as comparing LCD4 with 800s or with an IEM.
It has no sense at all. You can choose which one you prefer or buy all... but they all have different sound profiles, pros & cons.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #292 of 907
Regarding burn-in:

I emailed Audeze about this and received a prompt reply that "[o]ur headphones are burned in overnight in our factory and tested before shipping out." Which sounds more like "smoke test" rather than "burn-in" in the way an audiophile end-user would use the term, really. But fair enough, I guess.

As for my own anecdotal experience... Brand new, the MX4's were very peaky from around 800-1600hz. Like, beyond reasonable. I had to turn the volume down on anything with piano. The sound was resultingly quite off -- nasally and muffled.

Peakiness finally subsided after about 70-80 hours of burn in. At 100 hours -- where I'm at now -- I'm pretty sure I'm not going to observe any further changes, and the overall presentation sounds how I imagine it's intended to.

I should note that I've never observed burn-in in such a definitive way before this, but have always gone thru the 'ritual' as a matter of course, and trying paying attention to any possible changes in the headphone's character. All other headphones I've bought new have to my ears sounded pretty much the same new as a week or two later (HE-560, Clear, Utopia, and LCD-X circa late 2017). Note too that these observations end up echoing previous comments from this thread here.

I hope to post impressions after a little more time with them, but for now, it's been a fun listen in a number of ways so far...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #293 of 907
Regarding burn-in:

I emailed Audeze about this and received a prompt reply that "[o]ur headphones are burned in overnight in our factory and tested before shipping out." Which sounds more like "smoke test" rather than "burn-in" in the way an audiophile end-user would use the term, really. But fair enough, I guess.

As for my own anecdotal experience... Brand new, the MX4's were very peaky from around 800-1600hz. Like, beyond reasonable. I had to turn the volume down on anything with piano. The sound was resultingly quite off -- nasally and muffled.

Peakiness finally subsided after about 70-80 hours of burn in. At 100 hours -- where I'm at now -- I'm pretty sure I'm not going to observe any further changes, and the overall presentation sounds how I imagine it's intended to.

I should note that I've never observed burn-in in such a definitive way before this, but have always gone thru the 'ritual' as a matter of course, and trying paying attention to any possible changes in the headphone's character. All other headphones I've bought new have to my ears sounded pretty much the same new as a week or two later (HE-560, Clear, Utopia, and LCD-X circa late 2017). Note too that these observations end up echoing previous comments from this thread here.

I hope to post impressions after a little more time with them, but for now, it's been a fun listen in a number of ways so far...

Very intriguing!

I noticed that the sound has been getting better and better!~~~

By the way, something which will really make you fall in love is DX200 + AMP5 + LCD-MX4, I can genuinely wear this combination while out and about :)

BTW, this might sound silly, but the sound leakage is low enough for me to be able to play games while wearing MX4, without my girl complaining or telling me to turn them off. I can't hear the fans of my computer either, and those are Vardar Furious fans, uber strong. All in all, really happy with this part as well.

They sure look fine while out :)

https://twitter.com/audioheavenrev/status/970334370677559297

DXdR84LWsAEP9PJ.jpg:large

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #294 of 907
the sound leakage is low enough for me to...

The MX4's sound less open-back-like than I expected, which is probably related to your observation that they don't leak a ton of sound.

To my ears, in terms of their "open-ness", they sound somewhere around halfway between the Focal Clear and the Aeon Flow Closed (these are the points of reference I'm familiar with). Saying that may sound like a negative, but I'm unexpectedly liking this aspect of them so far...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #295 of 907
The MX4's sound less open-back-like than I expected, which is probably related to your observation that they don't leak a ton of sound.

To my ears, in terms of their "open-ness", they sound somewhere around halfway between the Focal Clear and the Aeon Flow Closed (these are the points of reference I'm familiar with). Saying that may sound like a negative, but I'm unexpectedly liking this aspect of them so far...

My perception is that Audeze invented this product targeting audio pros. When it comes to studio monitors, 'openness' is not that important for them. Also, they compromised some of SQ in exchange for efficiency and weight. Results would be so far what you would hear..

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #296 of 907
My perception is that Audeze invented this product targeting audio pros. When it comes to studio monitors, 'openness' is not that important for them. Also, they compromised some of SQ in exchange for efficiency and weight. Results would be so far what you would hear..

I'm beginning to draw the conclusion -- belatedly, haha -- that their marketing messaging about the MX4 being designed for pro audio should in fact be taken at face value. I think I dismissed their messaging in a kind of "yea, whatever..." kind of way.

I'm still making up my mind about them, as I'm using them 100% in a conventional 'home audio' kind of way, and not even with portability in mind in the slightest. So their value to me will be based solely based on their merits vis-a-vis sound signature preferences and their technicalities. We'll see!

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #297 of 907

Welp, as a professional, I think they are a lovely headphone. I work as the Director of a company after all, even if it I am not making music directly, we still use music a lot in our games

I'm beginning to draw the conclusion -- belatedly, haha -- that their marketing messaging about the MX4 being designed for pro audio should in fact be taken at face value. I think I dismissed their messaging in a kind of "yea, whatever..." kind of way.

I'm still making up my mind about them, as I'm using them 100% in a conventional 'home audio' kind of way, and not even with portability in mind in the slightest. So their value to me will be based solely based on their merits vis-a-vis sound signature preferences and their technicalities. We'll see!

I mean, yes, compared to their LCD-4, it might have had some trade-offs for becoming light and portable, but they still have one of the best sounds from every headphone I have in my collection at the momenty. Still need to test with my friend to asses them against LCD-4 directly, but from what I currently have, they easily match everything I have in the technical aspect of things, and it is not a short list :)

In fact, those are as hard to beat as LCD-4 were, an amazing headphone very very hard to find a better or to replace.

I find them to be so ideal in terms of open-ness and sonic leaking that I'm in love. You see, if those were fully open, my girl would have told me to use something else while working or playing games, or casually listening some music, but as they are, my girl is happy while I am enjoying some free time, and if she is happy, I am happy.

Of course, those are not closed back headphones, they do leak some sound, but at very low volumes, the leakage is much much smaller than what you'd expect from knowing they are open that they make a perfect fit for me and my typical usage

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #298 of 907
Can anyone comment on how these compare to the LCD-3 and/or HD800? I've always found most Audeze's lacking in detail and punch compared to dynamic phones like the HD800 or TH900, but loved the euphonic or lush sound of the LCD-3, which I found to be somewhat missing in the LCD-4... I'm sort of craving an Audeze lately, but not sure which one to go for, I'm essentially looking for the punch of the LCD-X, the warmth of the 3 and the detail of the 4... which is sort of unlikely, but hey, on can dream ^^
The utopia sometimes gets close to what I want, but that a bit steep for me at the moment.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #299 of 907
Can anyone comment on how these compare to the LCD-3 and/or HD800? I've always found most Audeze's lacking in detail and punch compared to dynamic phones like the HD800 or TH900, but loved the euphonic or lush sound of the LCD-3, which I found to be somewhat missing in the LCD-4... I'm sort of craving an Audeze lately, but not sure which one to go for, I'm essentially looking for the punch of the LCD-X, the warmth of the 3 and the detail of the 4... which is sort of unlikely, but hey, on can dream ^^
The utopia sometimes gets close to what I want, but that a bit steep for me at the moment.

Can't compare to LCD-3, but I can compare with HD800 a bit

For a few words, HD800 is lighter on the bass quantity, and LCD-MX4 comes with more general impact.

The dynamics are great on both, but at high volumes, the dynamics themselves feel more vivid on LCD-MX4 due to the more balanced signature. It is more comparable to HD800S in this aspect.

The voice realism and general voicing is closer to a natural level on MX4, where it can be a bit thin on HD800, especially for rock and metal

The detail alones can be more exposed on HD800 simply because of its very revealing nature, but I don't think LCD-MX4 is much behind, and on certain music, the details could be even better.

I am not sure if LCD-MX4 will have the euphony of the 3, but the details should be quite close to LCD-4 (it still is an Auedeze LCD-4, even if it is the easier to drive version with maybe a tad less detail), and it surely does have the impact of X to my ears. The impact is plenty and serves quite well for all music (welp, me being a metalhead, I need impact. Lots of it!).

On the other hand, I am not sure how to define euphony there, LCD-MX4 is quite natural to my ears, they sound right, they have emotion in their violins, where violins should have emotion, and they have a rather realistic approach to things. Hard to speak beyond that since I don't know LCD-3, maybe you have another headphone in mind you'd like comparisons with :)

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #300 of 907

Yea I'm with @Dobrescu George with regards to the bass. It's really perfect for my tastes, power without any excess. Though I have the SDR Mod in my HD 800 so I'm not sure if you have it in yours, as I felt the HD 800 was a lot more natural for vocals with the SDR Mod in place

I can say detail wise the HD 800 and MX4 are comparable, there are times where one out does the other but neither lack anything. The MX4 like most of the Audeze's I've heard is a little intimate with a nice super deep image. Compared to the HD 800 which is a little more open & vast while not quite as deep, both image with a great deal of precision but the staging of each is a little different.

As for Euphonic sound, I have a Pre Fazor 2 that I really feel fit's that bill! An I will say the MX4 doesn't compare offer that same sense of lushness. I feel that at some times it's almost a little drier than the HD 800, but both have a nice sweetness to them.

So the MX4 has a slightly quicker decay compare to the HD 800, and each has a unique... really pleasant texture to the top end. Sweet as in, tactile enough with a very natural decay. Though the MX4 is just a smidge harder up top which I like! As I do miss a little of the energy the PreSDR HD 800 had... but that energy while EXCITING was a real detriment to the mid range so I won't even go back to stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back