Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #10,413 of 22,535
Hi GreenBow and wldcohso, sorry if I bring up your old post, but I was looking for info regarding Hugo 2 heating up when charged with more than 5V 2.1A.
@Rob Watts shouldn't the Hugo 2 draw max 2.1A even if fed by a charger that has more current than 2.1A (i.e. 2.5A or 3A)?
If that's so charging the Hugo 2 with a 2.5A or a 2.1A should be the same as it doesn't have to dissipate the excessive current
Dear @Rob Watts,
I thank you for providing insight on your product on the forum!
I know you're a busy man, but maybe the third time's the charm, so I'll ask again:
Does the Hugo 2 draw max 5V 2.1A even if fed by a charger that has more current than 2.1A (i.e. 2.5A or 3A)?
If that's not the case and it has to dissipate the excessive current down to 2.1A that would explain why my unit that is in desktop mode 24h is always warm to the touch even when not in use (if feeded by a 2.5A charger).
Now I'm getting the Hugo 2 in desktop mode with the stock charger, I'll report back regarding thermals with that.
Thanks!

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #10,414 of 22,535
Now I'm getting the Hugo 2 in desktop mode with the stock charger, I'll report back regarding thermals with that.

The whole question of using different chargers has come up before on this thread, suggest you do a search but I think the best plan is to use the Chord supplied charger tbh. That's what I do, possibly because I'm not adventurous enough to do differently but my Hugo 2 is cold when it's off and only slightly warm while driving my Focal Utopias (I'm listening to the wonderful Glen Hansard's 'Didn't He Ramble' album on Spotify as I type this).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #10,415 of 22,535
Dear @Rob Watts,
I thank you for providing insight on your product on the forum!
I know you're a busy man, but maybe the third time's the charm, so I'll ask again:
Does the Hugo 2 draw max 5V 2.1A even if fed by a charger that has more current than 2.1A (i.e. 2.5A or 3A)?
If that's not the case and it has to dissipate the excessive current down to 2.1A that would explain why my unit that is in desktop mode 24h is always warm to the touch even when not in use (if feeded by a 2.5A charger).
Thanks!

From memory it draws 1.9A worst case - that is when charging from flashing red in fast charge mode. As the battery builds up it's voltage, the current falls. It is a constant current charge, so it can't draw more than 1.9A. We specify 2.1A to cover PSU's and Hugo 2 tolerances.

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #10,416 of 22,535
I have Fiio X7 ii and think about buying Hugo 1 or 2. Make it sence? And what´s the best conection (cable)? I don´t have DSD and I think I don´t buy this highres rate! Thanks

As a very happy Hugo 2 owner (Focal Utopias with Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium cable), I'd recommend a Hugo 2 in preference to a Hugo 1. You gain by spending a bit more money buying the Hugo 2. Best cable? The Hugo 2 comes with various cables in the box. I use the USB cable provided (looking at buying an upgrade, but no need to do this!). I posted a recent review of the Hugo 2 in HiFi+ magazine just a few posts ago so you might like to read that?

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #10,417 of 22,535
From memory it draws 1.9A worst case - that is when charging from flashing red in fast charge mode. As the battery builds up it's voltage, the current falls. It is a constant current charge, so it can't draw more than 1.9A. We specify 2.1A to cover PSU's and Hugo 2 tolerances.
Hi Rob,
thank you very much for the fast reply!
I see, than it can't draw more than 1.9A.... I've always thought that it was warm because it was dissipating extra current, any guess in what's heating up my unit then?
My Hugo 2 just entered desktop mode with the stock charger, I'll report back tomorrow regarding whether it's the same temperature than with the 2.5A charger.
Thanks!

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #10,418 of 22,535
We specify 2.1A to cover PSU's and Hugo 2 tolerances.

Good thing the 7th cavalry was on standby, my tech knowledge is..................

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #10,419 of 22,535
Only for Hugo 2 & Focal Utopia owners, the legendary King Crimson 'Starless' track, just amazing even if I can't find any other KC track I like as much (so far)

Only kidding about the 'only for Hugo 2 & Focal Utopia owners' bit............

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #10,420 of 22,535
I’m just using the LPS instead the SMPS that comes with the H2. The difference in SQ is inmediately evident. Really the Chord DACs are the more analog sounding of any DACs I’ve ever listened to. Incredibly fluid, transparent, hyperdetailed, airier, delicate and liquid sounding. Very addictive sound!! Every time I listen to the Hugo 2 reminds me of the fluid and liquid sound of some very high end vinyl rigs I listened in the past and always looked for that kind of sound.
When I read some comments about the Hugo 2 being “bright” I can’t understand it. To my ears It has very extended and ultradetailed highs but very liquid at the same time.
I like it A LOT.
Thanks for your reply, will be trying a LPS as well to see if it works for me

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #10,421 of 22,535
Thanks for your reply, will be trying a LPS as well to see if it works for me

I borrowed this rather cheap LPS to try with my Hugo 2 (my comments are based on my listening with this LPS)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-BL...221274?hash=item3d3ae6fb9a:g:lMoAAOSwFnFV~r35

But it seems this one from the same manufacturer is better quality and specs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-TeraD...234060?hash=item2a2d09a84c:g:5UoAAOxyo4lRjkus

Of course you’d need to order with a microUSB cable cause the cable supplied comes with another plug.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #10,422 of 22,535
I finally managed to test Hugo 2,As I expected It was very different and I fell in love with first experience ,but too much transparent and hursh it with my HD800S ,.
I don't think you should experience a harsh sound with Hugo 2 and HD 800 S. Someone else recently had sound quality that wasn't quite right:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-690#post-13987642

He tried an optical connection from his computer to Hugo 2 and the sound quality was much improved. See if you can try an optical output. There's an optical cable in the box for Hugo 2.

If you can get optical to work, make sure to disconnect the USB cable from Hugo 2, otherwise you won't get the sound quality benefit of optical.

Now playing: Rickie Lee Jones - Scary Chinese Movie

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #10,423 of 22,535
As a very happy Hugo 2 owner (Focal Utopias with Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium cable), I'd recommend a Hugo 2 in preference to a Hugo 1. You gain by spending a bit more money buying the Hugo 2. Best cable? The Hugo 2 comes with various cables in the box. I use the USB cable provided (looking at buying an upgrade, but no need to do this!). I posted a recent review of the Hugo 2 in HiFi+ magazine just a few posts ago so you might like to read that?
Thanks! Great Review.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #10,425 of 22,535
What is it and where can I buy it? :)

I forgot to post the link: http://orbitconcepts.com/products/deloop-audiophile

I have just looked again on the iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 website, for data on the gadget I bought. It shows that the Nano USB 3.0 does not galvanically isolate. https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-iusb3-0/

Why is this important? There are good arguments that "galvanic isolation" is nonsense. In other words, it's like saying "This device isn't buzzword-compliant! Therefore it's no good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back