Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #10,441 of 22,516
Good Morning (8:30am In Los Angeles)

Got a question for you guys. Ive had my Chord hugo 2 for a while now... pre ordered it from moon-audio @ the time it was launched. I have it paired with HD 800 S and I like the way it sounds. However, I notice that in order to power the HD800S to a good volume level the chord needs to be cranked up to like 80-85% volume levels. I feel like the HD800S would benefit from a more powerful amp but this is just me thinking, I have never tired them in anything else other than my Chord hugo 2.
I've been thinking on getting the BeyerDynamic A2 amp($899) on amazon and I was wondering if you guys think this would be worth it? I don't want to spend the money if the difference will not be noticeable.

Thanks in advance !
I have the HD800 (not S) and I am loving it directly out of the H2. However, when adding an amp I prefer a tube amp such as my EC ZD. There is an extra kick and lushness/liquidity/euphonics to the sound that which enhances the Chord special sauce and can also be altered to your specific preferences by rolling the tubes.

However, for a bigger bang for the buck, I would give the SonarWorks True-Fi software free trial a try. Costs nothing to try, but makes a big difference in the SQ before adding the Chord magic. It has an enable/disable button in the UI that allows you to turn the effect on and off so you can directly compare to see what you think. The concept here is that it optimizes the HD800S signature toward neutral for a much more natural resulting sound. The SonarWorks A/B test has yet to fail in bringing a smile to a listener's face. And yes, it has a plugin for both the HD800 and the HD800S individually.

My desktop setup: PC > SonarWorks True-Fi output > Optical out > Hugo 2 > EC ZD > HD800

I also listen to the HD800 directly out of my H2, but unless mobile I always have the SonarWorks engaged.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #10,442 of 22,516
Good point. I will try an EQ. can you recommend one? I usually use TIDAL HIFI as my music source and on PC with Windows 10
I'm not sure if you can use foobar2000 with Tidal. My equalizer of choice is xnor's 31-band Graphic Equalizer. Sonarworks (as proposed by Barra) also has a good reputation, moreover it offers specific presets for specific headphones, which is a good thing – particularly when you have no EQ experience. My above curve was inspired by the Sonarworks curve, BTW.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #10,443 of 22,516
I have enjoyed my H2 and 800s for a while. My humble ears only need red or light green volume. More than enough to enjoy a great transparency and quality, better than in other configuration I have tested.

I have tested 800s with Moon 430HA using H2 as DAC. I am not going to talk about power but you get 95% of the clarity than h2 gives you.

If we talk about Utopia I am not able to get any differences in quality directly to the h2 or the Moon.

So just to sum up.
1. Take care of your ears. 80-85% volume using h2 is huge IMHO.
2. If you need more power Moon430HA could be a great option or some other transparent AMP. But depending on the amp and the headphone you will probably lost some of the h2 magic. Sometimes no so much, other near nothing.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #10,444 of 22,516
I have the HD800 (not S) and I am loving it directly out of the H2. However, when adding an amp I prefer a tube amp such as my EC ZD. There is an extra kick and lushness/liquidity/euphonics to the sound that which enhances the Chord special sauce and can also be altered to your specific preferences by rolling the tubes.

However, for a bigger bang for the buck, I would give the SonarWorks True-Fi software free trial a try. Costs nothing to try, but makes a big difference in the SQ before adding the Chord magic. It has an enable/disable button in the UI that allows you to turn the effect on and off so you can directly compare to see what you think. The concept here is that it optimizes the HD800S signature toward neutral for a much more natural resulting sound. The SonarWorks A/B test has yet to fail in bringing a smile to a listener's face. And yes, it has a plugin for both the HD800 and the HD800S individually.

My desktop setup: PC > SonarWorks True-Fi output > Optical out > Hugo 2 > EC ZD > HD800

I also listen to the HD800 directly out of my H2, but unless mobile I always have the SonarWorks engaged.

Thanks ! I will give it a shot. Glad to see they have a free trial

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #10,445 of 22,516
I have enjoyed my H2 and 800s for a while. My humble ears only need red or light green volumen. More than enough to enjoy a great transparency and quality, better than in other configuration I have tested.

I have tested 800s with Moon 430HA using H2 as DAC. I am not going to talk about power but you get 95% of the clarity than h2 gives you.

If we talk about Utopia I am not able to get any differences in quality directly to the h2 or the Moon.

So just to sum up.
1. Take care of your ears. 80-85% volume using h2 is huge IMHO.
2. If you need more power Moon430HA could be a great option or some other transparent AMP. But depending on the amp and the headphone you will probably lost some of the h2 magic. Sometimes no so much, other near nothing.

you are right. I do listen to loud music (not all the time). I like Techno/Electronic Music. I set my Volume in the purple/white color roughly

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #10,446 of 22,516
you are right. I do listen to loud music (not all the time). I like Techno/Electronic Music. I set my Volume in the purple/white color roughly
Oohh, that is loud! I can only hope there's some gain reduction on the way to the DAC forcing you to go so high.

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #10,447 of 22,516
Is loud, but the hugo can get much louder. If i keep turning the nob, it stays on white for a while but the volume keeps going up. The white color volume range is super long. I was hoping for a more authority on the bass department. dont get me wrong, it sounds extremely good... is always fun to tune things a bit. Maybe the EQ will make a difference

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #10,448 of 22,516
It will. Look at the low-bass extension it provides – it will give you (or your HD 800 S) the authority you're looking for.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #10,449 of 22,516
How would you rate the sound quality from the different digital inputs - USB, Optical, Coax? Are there no differences?

More specifically, has anyone tried Hugo 2 with a DDC like Schiit EITR or Singxer SU-1?

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #10,450 of 22,516
Don't worry
I have the same problem.
I have imac , hugo 2 n lcd i4
As explained in previous posts , there is a grounding problem.
This problem is not there when one uses hugo 2 with a laptop (not charging) and using with DAP as a source .
The solution is to introduce earth in your chain.
One solution offered in lcd i4 thread by KMann ( audeze representative ) is to use ifi audio groundhog ... it is very effective..
I have ordered it... waiting for delivery
You can also read a review by metal hifi on groundhog.
There is a nice video on YouTube by audio46.

Just to tell you that I got the Ifi audio groundhog and the problem is solved!
No more humm! The problem was on mac mini.
Groundhog is really very efective in solving this type of problems.
Thank you very much for your help!

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #10,451 of 22,516

My man.... I am currently trying this SonarWorks True-FI and damn!!!! this little does wonders. it makes the HD 800 S sound with more authority. I am about to just buy the license (little pricey but it works so lets go for it) now, I listen to music on my laptop and on my desktop. Does this means i will have to buy it twice? or same key works on both laptop and desktop?

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #10,452 of 22,516
Listen to ray-dude – and me:

You can have your ideal tonal balance without an additional (sound-degrading) amp between the Hugo₂ and your HD 800 S. An equalizer is a better (and much more versatile/calculable) equalizer than a headphone amplifier. Above curve is for my modified classic HD 800, but the EQ setting for an «S» would be similar. And one thing to note: The HD 800 is an easy load for the Hugo₂. Don't let you mislead by the relatively high volume setting!
I remember that you suggested an EQ profile for Hugo2 solely a while ago. Now with HD800S, what would be the best EQ profile?

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #10,453 of 22,516
Just to tell you that I got the Ifi audio groundhog and the problem is solved!
No more humm! The problem was on mac mini.
Groundhog is really very efective in solving this type of problems.
Thank you very much for your help!
You're welcome !
Enjoy !:smile_phones::ksc75smile:

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #10,454 of 22,516
My man.... I am currently trying this SonarWorks True-FI and damn!!!! this little does wonders. it makes the HD 800 S sound with more authority. I am about to just buy the license (little pricey but it works so lets go for it) now, I listen to music on my laptop and on my desktop. Does this means i will have to buy it twice? or same key works on both laptop and desktop?

Thanks!
Not sure about the licensing, I only use it on my PC. However, I have had to reinstall a few times after rebuilds and was able to get the additional license so I am assuming that you can use on both - maybe its in the FAQs. However, it was good enough that I purchased both the true-fi and the Ref version that works with JRivers that has a little more functionality.

BTW, this is just the beginning of the rabbit hole with the HD800 - there are many more tweaks to optimize SQ.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #10,455 of 22,516
Well, another block in the road to equality. Installed True-fi: it won't speak to me, either. Tried Reference 3 and 4 with FB2K; a little bit not working.
Don't want to say whom, but someone in the mountains of Europe helped me out with some great EQs. Don't know why I try these other programs when what I have works just fine. But, I'm a believer in EQ'ing, saving me from expensive amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back