Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #10,291 of 22,538
Anyone has the combo Hugo 2 + Focal Clear? If so, how do you like it?

Yeah, here!
Fantastic tango my friend

Me too the Clear sounds good the hype is real, without going too far off topic the comfort was not good though. They are a heavy-ish headphone and pressed down on the top of my head. 15-20 minutes was the most I could stand. So I suggest you try them before buying if you don't have the Clear already.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #10,294 of 22,538
Another question for Rob Watts: You described earlier in this thread how the desktop mode functions, but can you clarify one more thing... If one intends to use Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC only (power supply always connected), is it preferable to leave it on 24/7* or should it be turned off while not in use?

* Lights on, ready to play music anytime

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #10,295 of 22,538
Another question for Rob Watts: You described earlier in this thread how the desktop mode functions, but can you clarify one more thing... If one intends to use Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC only (power supply always connected), is it preferable to leave it on 24/7* or should it be turned off while not in use?

Rob can answer but if you turn it off then it will exit desktop mode and start charging the battery up to the higher charge level. If you are only going to use it as a desktop device that defeats the object of desktop mode, ie lower charge level to extend battery life. So my advice is to leave the Hugo2 turned on so that it stays in desktop mode.

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #10,296 of 22,538
Rob can answer but if you turn it off then it will exit desktop mode and start charging the battery up to the higher charge level. If you are only going to use it as a desktop device that defeats the object of desktop mode, ie lower charge level to extend battery life. So my advice is to leave the Hugo2 turned on so that it stays in desktop mode.

Turning off does not leave Desktop mode, used it like that for last three days. Only Unplugging power does. Or have I misunderstood you?

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #10,297 of 22,538
Three days ago I gave my Hugo 2 a holiday. Instead of being used in lounge for Headphone use, I moved it upstairs into ‘music bedroom’ along with my 2 channel gear from yesteryear. Bought some coloured Philips Hue lights and it’s taken me back 35 years to when I listened to hifi without a TV in the room. Just relaxation and brilliant sound being fed from Questyle and Pioneer DAPs. Could be it never goes home, and Hugo1 will take over Headphone duties. Really not sure which gets the priority H2!

(Lights only turned up for photos, first time ever used iPad for a pic, lol, takes away Hugo’s own lighting on walls)

DE85B22D-40C5-472F-8FF6-7221E5D567BE.jpeg

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #10,298 of 22,538
Hey All, can anyone recommend a nice USB A to micro USB cable upgrade they are using for the Hugo 2? thanks

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #10,299 of 22,538
Turning off does not leave Desktop mode, used it like that for last three days. Only Unplugging power does. Or have I misunderstood you?

I think you will find that turning it off does leave desktop mode.
Post 3946 from Rob
“So what I do when the charger is connected for more than 24 hours, and Hugo 2 is on, is to go into desktop mode. In this mode, the charger supplies current that matches the current needed for Hugo 2, current from the battery is only provided for dynamic current surges, so it's effectively no longer in a charge discharge cycle. Secondly, when in desktop mode, the sustaining voltage is reduced to ensure maximum life. If you want to charge it to the max, ready for portable use, simply turn Hugo 2 off, when it will charge it to 100% and turn off the charger. The auto shutdown is disabled in desktop mode.”

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #10,301 of 22,538

You are both correct - turning it off with charger connected leaves it in desktop mode, but the battery is charged up to full charging voltage,ready for portable use, then the charger is disconnected from the battery. The intent is to leave it on all the time, as the applied charge voltage should not degrade battery life when in desktop mode.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #10,302 of 22,538
. . . . . and it’s taken me back 35 years to when I listened to hifi without a TV in the room

Welcome to my world. I hate TVs. They suck all the attention out of a room. (Although I do admit to liking the odd programme every now and then - no I don't mean 'odd' odd.)

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #10,303 of 22,538
Hey All, can anyone recommend a nice USB A to micro USB cable upgrade they are using for the Hugo 2? thanks
Hi nogi replicant,
the others will probably say to you that the stock one is fine (and it is).
Personally last week I've ordered a "Ghentaudio U05(JSSG) A-to-microB JSSG Cable"

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/u05(jssg).html

I should receive in a couple of weeks.
I'ts a starquad USB built with shielding instruction from UpTone's John Swenson.
Hope that helps

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #10,304 of 22,538
I am sorry if this has already been discussed and I overlooked it but how well does the Hugo 2 pair with the Hifimen HE1000 V2? Does its amp have enough power to adequately drive them? Thanks!

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #10,305 of 22,538
Welcome to my world. I hate TVs. They suck all the attention out of a room. (Although I do admit to liking the odd programme every now and then - no I don't mean 'odd' odd.)

Always been frustrating and a compromise not being able to have separate hifi and TV rooms. Now kids are long gone, and reasonable sized bedroom has been made out for guitar practice (band taken off) I thought it could be dual purpose, and although speakers are a bit nearer Marshall amps than ideal, its sounding good. Sound was really elevated downstairs with a Rega DAC in front of the TAG amp's own digital processing and room EQ, and Hugo2 takes it to another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back