Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #10,261 of 22,511
Question for Rob Watts: Sorry if this has already been answered, but I tried to search this thread and didn´t find anything at least... I´m aware digital volume control has certain advantages over analog (one less resistor in the signal path, no volume imbalance at lower levels), but I was wondering if you can share some more insight on how the digital volume control functions on the Hugo 2 (processing bit length and so on). I´m mostly a lowish volume listener to I´d be using a lot of digital attenuation.

Does it at for example at any setting start to truncate bits with 16 bit music? What about 24 bit? From what I´ve read this is usually the main concern with digitally implemented volume controls.

This post from the DAVE thread might help. Only Rob can say for sure, but I presume the Hugo2 uses the same implementation.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-156#post-12465685

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #10,263 of 22,511
"But I guess many here won't play music complex enough to hear any differences anyway".

That stupidly insulting view, plus Benchmark this, Benchmark that, made me always move to the next post weeks ago.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #10,265 of 22,511
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #10,266 of 22,511
Hi- I apologize if this has already been discussed (Ad Nauseam).

I am absolutely loving the H2! Sounds incredible. Simply a delight!

But it has been (auto) shutting down on me fairly regularly. I assume it is overheating (?) Any suggestions on how to best keep it cool and reduce the amount of auto shut-offs? Thanks for an amazing product and happy listening!

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #10,267 of 22,511
Jan 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #10,268 of 22,511
Actually it's not overheating because the auto shut-off prevents it. :relaxed: I've had this problem at the start. The best solution is not to use it during a long charging phase (e.g. initial charge), i.e. when it's already deeply discharged (red or yellow). With a green LED you should be safe during using and charging at the same time.

Interestingly not all users seem to have this problem.

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #10,269 of 22,511
Quote from Omega Speaker Systems
"All my speakers except the HO models. " to drive from Hugo2

@qafro, I wrote about these combos in my Mojo vs Hugo2 vs DAVE and Blu2 reviews (see links in signature) I think the DAVE can very comfortably drive the Omega Super Alnico Monitors direct, and a sub is optional (nice to have, but I could live without it). Similarly no problem at all driving the Omega Compact Alnico Monitors direct, but they are thin enough on the low end that I'd want to get a sub paired with them (I would recommend a fast low distortion sub...I use a JL Audio f112v2, but an e110 or something similar would be fine I think)

For the Hugo2, for the right music, it is very comfortable driving both the SAMs and CAMs. If music gets aggressively congested (complex orchestral pieces for example), I have heard a flattening of the sound stage, but that is for more aggressive passages. In my 20x25 room, the Hugo2 drives the SAMs and CAMs to a comfortable level, but it is a quiet room/neighborhood and I'm not driving to head banging levels, and the Hugo2 is at its limit on volume. For near field, it gets plenty loud, and I think the Omega's near field driven by the Hugo2/DAVE are absolutely incredible (insane imaging and detail). CAMs on a desktop with a Hugo2 in near field with a small sub under the desk would be a near ideal listening experience for me.

My advice to people wanting to drive Omegas directly from a Hugo2 has been to get a baby amp (like the Bantam Gold or the upcoming Massdrop THX TAA headphone amp) and drop it in when you want to listen to more aggressive music or at more aggressive volumes, but leave it driven direct most of the time to really enjoy the magic the combination can deliver. @Doody, you want to share you experience with your H2 driving your CAMs?

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #10,272 of 22,511
it may be using bnc cables with adaptors to 3.5mm coax in h2? same as now. any time frame for a h2 mscaler. that would be product of the year for sure opening up a whole new musical universe for those currently floating around in dark space such as myself.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #10,273 of 22,511
So .. the M Scaler inputs are on the opposite side of the Hugo2 to the 2Go ... so, presuming a future lower cost M Scaler as referred to in your Poly video, how will you be able to use this mooted M Scaler with the 2Go .. or will the be an MScaled2Go to use round the other side of the Hugo2 ..?

If 2Go works like Poly, it will be a digital inout to Hugo2, as would the M-Scaler input, so you wouldn’t be able to use them together. You would need a Way for 2Go to receive the digital signal, transmit it to the M-Scaler, then into Hugo2 directly or back via the M-Scaler. The configuration that would make the most sense is M-Scaler built into 2Go, but that may require too much power. Probably a desktop streamer based on Poly/2Go technology will be needed to feed the Blu or Dave.

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #10,274 of 22,511
And a second mortgage and a coding degree. No thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back