1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166
Next

Last
  1. Hiyono

Mine feels just warm to touch.  I put one of those cooking thermometer on top of my Dave and it says 35 Degree C(room @ 24C).  It never gets hot.  That might be different when its in mid summer.  

From what I noticed burn in makes a bit difference.  When I first got my Dave back in Jan.  It was a little bit harsh and had more sibilance with my AKG K812.  But now it has much less now.  To me Dave improved quite a bit since its first week.  I am past the 600hr mark.  To me Dave sounds smoother, fuller sounding, less sibilance and better depth.  It could be a factor of many things.  I got a new Furutech Power Guard-48 (http://www.furutech.com/2015/09/16/11717/) same week I got my Dave in Japan.  So cable could of been burn in also.  Also I first had my Dave sitting on top of my Cavalli liquid glass.  Now its sitting on two Ikea boards with 4 vibration feet in-between.  I would like to try the stillpoints one day.

I am very much liking Dave's neutral, details and depth.  Compared to my old setup which is an Emm labs Dac2se and a Cavalli Liquid Glass.  The EMM+LG combo is more smooth and warming sounding.  The soundstage is about the same width but Dave wins in depth and transparency.  Dave 's soundstage is amazing,  It places instruments delicately in place even if they are soft sounds they aren't covered by other sounds.  I find that the K812 sounds good with the Dave.  K812 conveys Dave's soundstage, depth and transparency very well.  It does have a little bit of treble sharpness.  I tried with the hd800 and I never liked the U shape sound and hot treble.  Dave paired with the Shure KSE1500 is one of the best I heard.  When Robb Watts makes an electrostatic Amp for Dave's digital outputs,  I'll be one to pre order.

Dave's headphone out is enough to power all my headphones.  My hardest to drive is my AKG k240df 600ohms.  It can get loud enough for me at about -10 db.  No problems driving my k812, lcd3, W3000anv.  I'll ask my friend if I can try his k1000 sometime next week.

I took my Dave to a local store so someone can try it.  Last summer, I was debating on either the MSB analog, a totaldac, and Chord Dave since my emm labs is turning quite old.  This person brought his Hugo TT to the store so I could try.  After hearing the TT,  I pre ordered the Dave.  If the TT can already sound this good.  I was never impressed with the Hugo.  Last week,  He tried my Dave and he really liked how it sounded.  He was on the Dave for a long time and compared to his TT.  He said he should of waited for Dave instead of getting the TT.  But he also report a conflicting point.  He feels that USB cable does make a difference.  It could be his bias.  He is a hardcore entreq fan.  He has their ground box, USB cables, and other cables.  He brought his entreq usb cable and I had my LH light speed 10G.  He says he liked his entreq more.  Sorry I don't have the details.  We kept communications to basics since my Chinese isn't the best.  I don't understand some of the more difficult terms he was using.

Also searching up Dave I found this other Taiwan user review and he also found that USB makes a difference.  http://www.hiendlife.com/x1/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=32457 .  
    2,USB线。农夫挑战者VS 日本AIM旗舰。农夫大气、AIM精细,各有特点。特别感受:Chord自带机线也算好听。He also states that he doesn't feel Dave was sensitive to Power cables.   I honestly haven't had the time to play around with the USB and power cables to report anything.  One thing I noticed is Dave USB with my iPad with CCK runs the battery much quicker then my old EMM labs Dac2.  I was using my iPad to burn in the Dave before.  

Currawong likes this.
  2. Jawed
    Part of the galvanic isolation circuit on the USB input is using power from your iPad. This part of the circuit is not connected to the power supply inside DAVE. Instead it used power coming through the USB cable from your iPad. So your iPad battery will suffer.

3. Hiyono

Ah that's how it works. Yeah I noticed my iPad dies like in about 16hrs compared to like 2d on my old system when I use it to burn in new headphones. Thanks for the info.

4. wdh777
    Just a reminder that Apple now sells a cck which allows you to charge the iPad when using it.

5. STR-1
    I emailed Chord to ask about power consumption and I was told in reply that it consumed 30w.

6. JaZZ Contributor

So it's 18 watts or 30 watts – about two or three LED lamps burning all the time without necessity. (Considering the warmth 30 watts seem more plausible to me.) Of course I want to save the planet or more precisely make the best I can (read: what's not too unconvenient) to not make the situation any worse than «necessary». I wonder how someone can display that as laughable. As a music and sound lover who moreover rides a motorcycle now and then just for pleasure (although less than I used to) I kind of feel obliged to be at least somewhat responsible for my lifestyle.

Now if I were to use standby instead – who can guarantee that I get the same «sonic benefit» from the start, without a warm-up phase? It would seem plausible to me that a warm-up phase implies physical warm-up, which standby wouldn't provide. So what's actually the benefit from standby? (Question not specifically directed at The Attorney.) I don't use my remote control.

7. seeteeyou

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241761-REG/apple_mk0w2am_a_lightning_to_usb_3_0.html

FYI

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/27/review-lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter-a-podcasters-best-friend/

http://youtu.be/7IqKDmFoJX0

8. yellowblue
    I never thought that I would sell my Totaldac dual with reclocker. But after reading Romaz comparison between Totaldac and Dave I changed my mind. 
    After getting the Dave yesterday and just 30 hours of burn in I already can see/hear that it was the right decision. The Dave has more detail and much more "energy" in the midths without sounding bright. It is actually much more smooth sounding than the Totaldac (without loosing some detail). I am curious to see how much the Dave will change with more burn in. Hard to believe that it will sound even smoother.
    It drives my HD800 (Anax mod) without any problems and the headphone amp is so versatile that even my Grado GH-1 and my IEMs (!) Oriolus sounds fabulous from it. Even getting the Ether C soon.

Articnoise likes this.
  9. shuttlepod
    DAVE appears to be racking up fans by the day. Romaz -- looks like you are stimulating the local economy in Kent, England. I suppose I might play some very small part in that as well.

10. paulchiu

This should have come out first.

11. esimms86
    After reading Rob's post about the AQ Nighthawk in his blog I was wondering how it paired with Dave. I don't need another set of headphones but the Price differential between the Nighthawk and the HE1000 for those whose budgets fall short by a couple of thousand dollars.

12. paulchiu
    what did Rob say about the Nighthawk?  I just received mine last week and it is great but no HE1000 replacement.

13. rgs9200m
    Thank you Hiyono for your reply to my question about the temperature of the DAVE. ( It is interesting that you mentioned EMM since I find the Hugo TT nicely warmer-sounding in the upper mids than the XDS1V2 on redbook. )

14. paulchiu
    Who has the Dave stand and which leg did you choose?

15. Rob Watts
    Yes the volume is fully digital, as I get better transparency that way. Analogue volume controls have noise and linearity problems, and more importantly small signal resolution problems. Every metal to metal interface has oxides, and this has small signal non-linearities, and this degrades the perception of depth. I have known about this since the early 80's, but could never measure a problem, just hear it. The good thing about Dave was with the discovery that I needed noise shapers that worked at 350 dB to get the best depth, then I have been able to run simulations and measure the performance of this problem - and I confirmed that extremely small errors did have an influence on depth perception - so now I have a rule of thumb number of 350 dB performance - that's why we can't measure these tiny problems but can hear them. It was interesting that working with digital solved an understanding problem that was purely analogue.

Anyway, simply doing volume controls digitally won't solve the problem, as conventional noise shapers are actually worse at resolving small signals than analogue. Not only that, how the truncation issue is dealt with is also important, as this also degrades depth performance. So now I have Dave's noise shapers running at 350 dB, I needed the WTA filter outputs and the volume OP to also work at 350 dB performance too. Today, when I design I now formally test for this by ensuring that it will perfectly reproduce a -301 dB signal which ensures its much better than 50 bits accuracy. Here is a 24 bit WTA output after noise shaping:

301dBtrun.png
    The flat noise floor section at -385 dB is actually a simulation/FFT issue. The -301 dB signal should be -301.02999 dB - it came out at -301.030 dB, so the fundamental is perfectly preserved amplitude. Even though its a 24 bit output, it is accurate to more like 64 bits.

Now I get this performance by using noise shapers (and I had to go to silly lengths to get this level of performance - before Dave I worked to 200dB or 32 bit accuracy)

My next headache is with Davina and getting perfectly preserved small signals but with 44.1 and 16 bit - in this case, I can't use noise shaping like this, so its going to be an interesting challenge maintaining depth perception.

Rob

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi and 514077 like this.
First

Back
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166
Next

Last