Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 26, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #9,031 of 22,475
How much better does the Hugo2 sound on USB out of the laptop than over Bluetooth? I feel I hear a little difference in depth-of-field, but not too much.

I read a review that said "Doubtful however that the average Hugo 2 user would see Bluetooth as anything more than a nice-to-have extra".

To me it sounds fine. Are my ears just not refined enough to hear the difference between it and USB input?

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #9,032 of 22,475

Been playing between USB and Audiophilleo 2. The direct SPDIF connection sounds better than USB. Also compared the Allo Digione which sounded same as USB. AP gives a bit more clarity and much better bass.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #9,033 of 22,475
Been playing between USB and Audiophilleo 2. The direct SPDIF connection sounds better than USB. Also compared the Allo Digione which sounded same as USB. AP gives a bit more clarity and much better bass.

thank you! I will test it as well with Mutec MC-3+ USB.
Just gotta wait another 3 weeks for H2.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #9,034 of 22,475
How much better does the Hugo2 sound on USB out of the laptop than over Bluetooth? I feel I hear a little difference in depth-of-field, but not too much.

I read a review that said "Doubtful however that the average Hugo 2 user would see Bluetooth as anything more than a nice-to-have extra".

To me it sounds fine. Are my ears just not refined enough to hear the difference between it and USB input?
It's possible. Bluetooth is kinda lossy. But, don't feel bad about your ears. I really have to listen for differences with the filter choices, whereas some notice it more.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #9,036 of 22,475
I have had similar experiences with both HUGO 2 and DAVE/BLU.

With compressed recordings and generally limited dynamic range recordings like for example the excellent Antiphone Blues album from the Swedish label Proprious DAVE/BLU sounded very good indeed, possibly the best most natural sound I have ever heard from rbcd.
It sounded almost like listening to the mastertape.
The problems with DAVE/BLU even with Susvara only become really evident when one plays NON compressed large scale symphonic and Operatic music with a huge dynamic range.

I think one of the biggest issues on these forums is that people don’t describe the music they are listening to when writing impressions. I think you may have nailed the issue here.

Anyone tried Mutec MC-3+ on spdif with Hugo 2 ? If so, it's worth getting the Mutec ?

Any other DDC/reclocker recommendation for Hugo 2 ?

I sold my AP1 because I got just as good results using the USB but with a Schiit Wyrd in the chain. I don’t believe that an expensive S/PDIF converter is necessary, just noise isolation for the usb input. If you decide to use a converter, then you introduce a different set of problems with the quality of the S/PDIF connection (though with the AP1 it was direct) and limitations on what the input will receive through the re-clocker.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #9,037 of 22,475
I sold my AP1 because I got just as good results using the USB but with a Schiit Wyrd in the chain. I don’t believe that an expensive S/PDIF converter is necessary, just noise isolation for the usb input. If you decide to use a converter, then you introduce a different set of problems with the quality of the S/PDIF connection (though with the AP1 it was direct) and limitations on what the input will receive through the re-clocker.

Agreed. I recently placed a Wyrd in my chain and I am very pleased. A no nonsense product that I can recommend. Good Schiit.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #9,039 of 22,475
Has there been any rumours anywhere or suggestions from Chord, about there being a Hugo 2 TT, or 2Qute 2? Please anyone.
JF has posted that there will be products unveiled at CES, and that one of them is planned to be 2Go, but no clues about the others. I presume that one candidate is the digital amp that was being talked about at the start of the year, but there has been no mention of a new TT or 3Qute.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #9,041 of 22,475
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #9,042 of 22,475
It really just boils down to how people often confuses the subjective opinion of "this headphone and amp pairing produces a sound I don't like" and expressing it with "this amp doesn't push enough power to make the headphone to sound what I want it to", nothing more and nothing less, so much so when I read people say something along the lines of the latter (which is nearly 99% of the time), I just automatically parse it to mean the former.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #9,043 of 22,475
Interesting article on IF; Katz's Corner No. 20, dealing with the confusing issue of deliniating power specs and such.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-20-how-insensitive
Thought it might be worth a look, especially with all the talk over what H2 can or cannot drive. Greater minds than I might make more use of it.
I cannot agree more Pass HPA-1 has 200mW at 300 Ohm and H2 ca 100mW. The audible difference is 3dB. Given this, it is also clear why H2 can drive LCD 4 successfully (at least imho).

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #9,044 of 22,475
After a few months of ownership I finally sold my hugo 2, and now considering picking up brand new hugo TT tomorrow.

I just found a few things that didn’t suit me, 1st was the the fact that it would heat up so much I could of fried and egg of it and would then switch itself off mid way through anything I was listening to, appaerntly this is a built in safety mechanism. 2nd was the sound had this brightness to it no matter what I paired it with I guess you could say it’s just a very clean sounding dac? 3rd was the filters I would keep it on mojo all the time to try and give it some warmth so it wasnt so sibilent or however you say it but I think due to the massivly high tap count it made such a little difference anyway I could barely tell any major difference between any of the filters anyway.

I didn't want to give up on chord so I listened to the TT and man what a night and day difference that was for me, just so smooth I think is the best word to describe it, I could just listen to that all day everyday the timing and clarity without it sounding high pitched gave it better soundscape which is obviously a tell tale sign of the better the power delivery of the TT. I also much, much preferred the bass delivery on the TT it just had this really nice slam to it and voices don’t sound as raspy on the TT compared to the Hugo2 either they sound cleaner.

These are just my own personal opinions though everyone will think differently, but I guess for some it’s not always about “newer is better” or more tap counts etc etc, it just comes down to the individual.

I think my biggest mistake was not auditioning it or the TT to begin with and just seeing so much hype about that “new new must have dave, tt hugo killer” that everyones selling their hugo ones for massive losses and freaking out putting TTs up for rediculas cheap prices etc and I jumped on it as well (allthough I only owned a mojo at that time so no massive loss).

I guess the point to take from all of this is that for me the hugo2 was not earth shatteringly better than everything and was more a point of it was good at a lot of things but master of none due to all the additional bells and whistles it offered in such a small form factor which seemed like its achillies heal with its heat ouput and cut offs I was having along with the sound signature differences mentioned above.

I always wondered why chord never massively dropped the price of the TT when they introduced the hugo 2, I don’t know, but after having time with both I just find the TT the better option for myself personally.

One thing I know for sure, no more pre ordering dacs haha, lose way to much on re sale, will be auditioning everything first from here on out.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #9,045 of 22,475
After a few months of ownership I finally sold my hugo 2, and now considering picking up brand new hugo TT tomorrow.

I just found a few things that didn’t suit me, 1st was the the fact that it would heat up so much I could of fried and egg of it and would then switch itself off mid way through anything I was listening to, appaerntly this is a built in safety mechanism. 2nd was the sound had this brightness to it no matter what I paired it with I guess you could say it’s just a very clean sounding dac? 3rd was the filters I would keep it on mojo all the time to try and give it some warmth so it wasnt so sibilent or however you say it but I think due to the massivly high tap count it made such a little difference anyway I could barely tell any major difference between any of the filters anyway.

I didn't want to give up on chord so I listened to the TT and man what a night and day difference that was for me, just so smooth I think is the best word to describe it, I could just listen to that all day everyday the timing and clarity without it sounding high pitched gave it better soundscape which is obviously a tell tale sign of the better the power delivery of the TT. I also much, much preferred the bass delivery on the TT it just had this really nice slam to it and voices don’t sound as raspy on the TT compared to the Hugo2 either they sound cleaner.

These are just my own personal opinions though everyone will think differently, but I guess for some it’s not always about “newer is better” or more tap counts etc etc, it just comes down to the individual.

I think my biggest mistake was not auditioning it or the TT to begin with and just seeing so much hype about that “new new must have dave, tt hugo killer” that everyones selling their hugo ones for massive losses and freaking out putting TTs up for rediculas cheap prices etc and I jumped on it as well (allthough I only owned a mojo at that time so no massive loss).

I guess the point to take from all of this is that for me the hugo2 was not earth shatteringly better than everything and was more a point of it was good at a lot of things but master of none due to all the additional bells and whistles it offered in such a small form factor which seemed like its achillies heal with its heat ouput and cut offs I was having along with the sound signature differences mentioned above.

I always wondered why chord never massively dropped the price of the TT when they introduced the hugo 2, I don’t know, but after having time with both I just find the TT the better option for myself personally.

One thing I know for sure, no more pre ordering dacs haha, lose way to much on re sale, will be auditioning everything first from here on out.
I love my Hugo2, but I like honest opinions, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back