Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #9,046 of 22,475
pretty much sums up my opinion of ch1 ch2 and TT. TT just has that slam and mid detail that makes it exciting listen. while i really did enjoy the subtle detail with ch2, i even just kept ch1 cause i prefer it as well.
The big decision for you and possibly myself down the road is TT2 or just get TT now.

After a few months of ownership I finally sold my hugo 2, and now considering picking up brand new hugo TT tomorrow.

I just found a few things that didn’t suit me, 1st was the the fact that it would heat up so much I could of fried and egg of it and would then switch itself off mid way through anything I was listening to, appaerntly this is a built in safety mechanism. 2nd was the sound had this brightness to it no matter what I paired it with I guess you could say it’s just a very clean sounding dac? 3rd was the filters I would keep it on mojo all the time to try and give it some warmth so it wasnt so sibilent or however you say it but I think due to the massivly high tap count it made such a little difference anyway I could barely tell any major difference between any of the filters anyway.

I didn't want to give up on chord so I listened to the TT and man what a night and day difference that was for me, just so smooth I think is the best word to describe it, I could just listen to that all day everyday the timing and clarity without it sounding high pitched gave it better soundscape which is obviously a tell tale sign of the better the power delivery of the TT. I also much, much preferred the bass delivery on the TT it just had this really nice slam to it and voices don’t sound as raspy on the TT compared to the Hugo2 either they sound cleaner.

These are just my own personal opinions though everyone will think differently, but I guess for some it’s not always about “newer is better” or more tap counts etc etc, it just comes down to the individual.

I think my biggest mistake was not auditioning it or the TT to begin with and just seeing so much hype about that “new new must have dave, tt hugo killer” that everyones selling their hugo ones for massive losses and freaking out putting TTs up for rediculas cheap prices etc and I jumped on it as well (allthough I only owned a mojo at that time so no massive loss).

I guess the point to take from all of this is that for me the hugo2 was not earth shatteringly better than everything and was more a point of it was good at a lot of things but master of none due to all the additional bells and whistles it offered in such a small form factor which seemed like its achillies heal with its heat ouput and cut offs I was having along with the sound signature differences mentioned above.

I always wondered why chord never massively dropped the price of the TT when they introduced the hugo 2, I don’t know, but after having time with both I just find the TT the better option for myself personally.

One thing I know for sure, no more pre ordering dacs haha, lose way to much on re sale, will be auditioning everything first from here on out.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #9,047 of 22,475
pretty much sums up my opinion of ch1 ch2 and TT. TT just has that slam and mid detail that makes it exciting listen. while i really did enjoy the subtle detail with ch2, i even just kept ch1 cause i prefer it as well.
The big decision for you and possibly myself down the road is TT2 or just get TT now.

“TT now or TT2 down the road”

Here’s my take, there will be and always will be newer stuff coming out all the time, every year. From my few years in this audio game and many many years in the pc gaming, modding and building game newer doesn’t = better, it = higher costs mostly and from what I just experinced with the hugo2 vs the TT for one, newer definitly didn’t beat the TT for my listening preferences, all its tap count and blah blah and everyone saying oooo higher taps is bettttttter and its the same as dave and blah blah bullsh*t, the end result just wasn’t there for me. And any equipment that allows me to fry eggs on top of it is a no go in my book so I couldn’t care what it does.

As for TT2, it will still be available and won’t be going anywhere, Life is short, I will just enjoy and appreciate what I can now instead of waiting or thinking what’s around the corner and will it be better when I can listen to something I was really enjoying right now in this case the TT, so I will be picking up one tomorrow and if the tt2 comes out next year, good, I will still be enjoying my tt and can get a tt2 later on down the track.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #9,048 of 22,475
“TT now or TT2 down the road”

Here’s my take, there will be and always will be newer stuff coming out all the time, every year. From my few years in this audio game and many many years in the pc gaming, modding and building game newer doesn’t = better, it = higher costs mostly and from what I just experinced with the hugo2 vs the TT for one, newer definitly didn’t beat the TT for my listening preferences, all its tap count and blah blah and everyone saying oooo higher taps is bettttttter and its the same as dave and blah blah bullsh*t, the end result just wasn’t there for me. And any equipment that allows me to fry eggs on top of it is a no go in my book so I couldn’t care what it does.

As for TT2, it will still be available and won’t be going anywhere, Life is short, I will just enjoy and appreciate what I can now instead of waiting or thinking what’s around the corner and will it be better when I can listen to something I was really enjoying right now in this case the TT, so I will be picking up one tomorrow and if the tt2 comes out next year, good, I will still be enjoying my tt and can get a tt2 later on down the track.

Enjoy your happy day tomorrow, TT unwrapping. Its an incredible dac that is largely misunderstood until you listen. see you on the TT thread, its a bit dead recently , lol

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #9,049 of 22,475
Back to the H2 and after a busy morning in the office, what better than a lunch break with a spine-tinglingly good portable rig - and a chilled out reworking of Henry Purcell. This is what the H2 is all about IMO and combined with my Encores makes a match made in heaven...

I24H9Ph.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #9,050 of 22,475
Enjoy your happy day tomorrow, TT unwrapping. Its an incredible dac that is largely misunderstood until you listen. see you on the TT thread, its a bit dead recently , lol

yeh but a dead thread is a good thread, means more people enjoying it than talking about it.

And yes the unboxing vids I've seen is something else, unlike the h2 for me was liking taking an iphone out of a small box very underwhelming haha

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #9,051 of 22,475
Back to the H2 and after a busy morning in the office, what better than a lunch break with a spine-tinglingly good portable rig - and a chilled out reworking of Henry Purcell. This is what the H2 is all about IMO and combined with my Encores makes a match made in heaven...

I24H9Ph.jpg

Hugo 2 is a nice piece of kit, My comparisons are in no way derailing this thread, I did own one for quite a few months it was more once I sold it due to reasons listed above did I think, you know, I really do like chords house sound and the only things I had heard was the mojo and the h2 so let me go try this tt everyone is telling me isn't as good as the h2. When I did this I learnt a huge lesson regarding hype and what I find sounds good for me personally.

It also gave me good insight into who not to listen to on these forums as my listening tastes are different.

As far as the H2 being portable, sure if you can fit it your bag, but there's lots of things you can fit in a bag, but squeezing that thing into my jeans pocket and sitting down on train or bus, no thanks that's what a mojo is for amongst plenty of other pocket friendly dacs that are out there.

Its a good dac the h2, but I don't miss it at all put it that way.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #9,052 of 22,475
After a few months of ownership I finally sold my hugo 2, and now considering picking up brand new hugo TT tomorrow.

I just found a few things that didn’t suit me, 1st was the the fact that it would heat up so much I could of fried and egg of it and would then switch itself off mid way through anything I was listening to, appaerntly this is a built in safety mechanism. 2nd was the sound had this brightness to it no matter what I paired it with I guess you could say it’s just a very clean sounding dac? 3rd was the filters I would keep it on mojo all the time to try and give it some warmth so it wasnt so sibilent or however you say it but I think due to the massivly high tap count it made such a little difference anyway I could barely tell any major difference between any of the filters anyway.

I didn't want to give up on chord so I listened to the TT and man what a night and day difference that was for me, just so smooth I think is the best word to describe it, I could just listen to that all day everyday the timing and clarity without it sounding high pitched gave it better soundscape which is obviously a tell tale sign of the better the power delivery of the TT. I also much, much preferred the bass delivery on the TT it just had this really nice slam to it and voices don’t sound as raspy on the TT compared to the Hugo2 either they sound cleaner.

These are just my own personal opinions though everyone will think differently, but I guess for some it’s not always about “newer is better” or more tap counts etc etc, it just comes down to the individual.

I think my biggest mistake was not auditioning it or the TT to begin with and just seeing so much hype about that “new new must have dave, tt hugo killer” that everyones selling their hugo ones for massive losses and freaking out putting TTs up for rediculas cheap prices etc and I jumped on it as well (allthough I only owned a mojo at that time so no massive loss).

I guess the point to take from all of this is that for me the hugo2 was not earth shatteringly better than everything and was more a point of it was good at a lot of things but master of none due to all the additional bells and whistles it offered in such a small form factor which seemed like its achillies heal with its heat ouput and cut offs I was having along with the sound signature differences mentioned above.

I always wondered why chord never massively dropped the price of the TT when they introduced the hugo 2, I don’t know, but after having time with both I just find the TT the better option for myself personally.

One thing I know for sure, no more pre ordering dacs haha, lose way to much on re sale, will be auditioning everything first from here on out.

TT and H2 are both outstanding.....H2 is portable and TT isnt...pretty simple..i had the TT and now I have the H2

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #9,053 of 22,475
Hugo 2 is a nice piece of kit, My comparisons are in no way derailing this thread, I did own one for quite a few months it was more once I sold it due to reasons listed above did I think, you know, I really do like chords house sound and the only things I had heard was the mojo and the h2 so let me go try this tt everyone is telling me isn't as good as the h2. When I did this I learnt a huge lesson regarding hype and what I find sounds good for me personally.

It also gave me good insight into who not to listen to on these forums as my listening tastes are different.

As far as the H2 being portable, sure if you can fit it your bag, but there's lots of things you can fit in a bag, but squeezing that thing into my jeans pocket and sitting down on train or bus, no thanks that's what a mojo is for amongst plenty of other pocket friendly dacs that are out there.

Its a good dac the h2, but I don't miss it at all put it that way.
Well, who knows what I for one might have thought if I had a chance to hear the TT. But, just too expensive in my case. Best wishes and enjoy.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #9,054 of 22,475
Nov 29, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #9,055 of 22,475
Maybe I should have said things a little differently, maybe.

But don't get me wrong, the hugo 2 is an amazing piece of hardware it sounds great, i simply found it a little on the bright side and the heat that radiated of it was just not right, maybe my unit had a flaw i dont know.

Would I own one again? Yes most certainly infact I just found out that that I was getting one for christmas from a family member who had no idea that I had owned and recently sold one. So I may sell that as well or just use that to pre amp some speakers or as the dac in my living room.

Hugo tt is just a different animal in a larger package that offers something different topology wise with its super capacitors, milled from a solid piece so there's no gaps like the h2 except for your outputs and headphone jack etc and has galvanic isolation amongst other things that just give it a smoother sound, realistically I could live with either or any and every chord product as I just love how they keep inovating and setting the bar to such an extreme nothing else out there for my tastes can touch it.

But after everythings said and done we're all really clutching at straws as no chord product is bad, even the older stuff is all still very capable in todays market, nothing is better their simply different/sound different.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #9,056 of 22,475
Maybe I should have said things a little differently, maybe.

But don't get me wrong, the hugo 2 is an amazing piece of hardware it sounds great, i simply found it a little on the bright side and the heat that radiated of it was just not right, maybe my unit had a flaw i dont know.

Would I own one again? Yes most certainly infact I just found out that that I was getting one for christmas from a family member who had no idea that I had owned and recently sold one. So I may sell that as well or just use that to pre amp some speakers or as the dac in my living room.

Hugo tt is just a different animal in a larger package that offers something different topology wise with its super capacitors, milled from a solid piece so there's no gaps like the h2 except for your outputs and headphone jack etc and has galvanic isolation amongst other things that just give it a smoother sound, realistically I could live with either or any and every chord product as I just love how they keep inovating and setting the bar to such an extreme nothing else out there for my tastes can touch it.

But after everythings said and done we're all really clutching at straws as no chord product is bad, even the older stuff is all still very capable in todays market, nothing is better their simply different/sound different.

quite a gift...!

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #9,057 of 22,475
In Canadian dollars, the Hugo2 can be negotiated for about $3000. The TT for $5000. Per Chord's policy of slotting new product pricing above the old, this would put a TT-2 at close to $7000. The DAVE is at $14000 ...Lord knows what a DAVE2 would go for. These are insane numbers in the real world. Is fantastic SQ really worth months of car or mortgage payments? Or a trip to Bali?
Thank goodness used Mojo's can be had for $500.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #9,058 of 22,475
In Canadian dollars, the Hugo2 can be negotiated for about $3000. The TT for $5000. Per Chord's policy of slotting new product pricing above the old, this would put a TT-2 at close to $7000. The DAVE is at $14000 ...Lord knows what a DAVE2 would go for. These are insane numbers in the real world. Is fantastic SQ really worth months of car or mortgage payments? Or a trip to Bali?

But then I think it is insane what people spend on buying a car. My last car purchase ten years ago was for a similar total amount that you quote for the negotiated Hugo2 price. It is still working well.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #9,059 of 22,475
We shouldn’t talk dollars unless country specific disclosed. In canada its 800, 2800, 5500, 17500 respectivly . The pricing in Canada was just about the same from ch1 to ch2. TT is the sweet spot in price value

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #9,060 of 22,475

For fear of possibly being banned for responding to the "insane numbers" subject again, I have to say I could not agree more with you.

To put things in real world perspective, let me mention that when I came back home from my winter in Asia last spring, my old car broke down and I bought a second hand Toyota Corolla in excellent condition with only 9000 kilometers on the clock for quite a lot less than a HUGO 2 costs in Sweden.
I paid 1200€ for my new car.

And although I would not currently recommend a trip to Bali for obvious reasons,let me also mention that I can and often do, quite easily rent an apartment for six or even twelve months in some places there or in Thailand for basically the same price as buying a HUGO 2.

The price of DAVE alone without BLU2, will buy or let you build quite a decent little house in some countries in Asia.

I really love both good music and good SQ and I am currently enjoying my beloved music either live or via my DAC 2 and HEKV2.
HUGO 2 does some things with not too complex or densely scored really dynamic music better than the DAC 2.
But I am biding my time before even thinking of upgrading from DAC 2.

I have to admit though that I am very curious to hear how well my DAC 2 would drive Susvara.
Suvara did sound very tempting via BLU2/DAVE connected via a very expensive headphone amp from Woo Audio.
I suspect that DAC 2 might drive Susvara better than the BLU2/DAVE on its own was capable of with the demanding music I play.
I did not even consider trying Susvara with HUGO 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back