Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #901 of 22,535

FYI. From the Poly thread. Sounds like something is going on.

Note that I'm only referring to MQA support as a feature here and do not intent to trigger a debate about the technology itself; to do that, please visit the relevant thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/831291/ces-2017-mqa-announces-tidal-masters-and-more

Yeah, I read it already.  
wink_face.gif

My post was more about going OT about the merits of MQA rather than peoples request for it. As the Hugo2 is so close to release I imagine it would be implemented in the add-on for the Hugo2 if it's implemented at all. Then again, this is all conjecture as many manufacturers state "we are looking in to it" and then decide to not use it in the end. Grain of salt and all that. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #903 of 22,535
  Implementing in an add-on would make sense since a lot of users would not want to bear the burden of licensing fees for a technology they don't need.

​Should of, could of, would of.  What would make the most sense is for MQA to make there complete unfolding a software solution instead of trying to corner the market from software to hardware.  My understanding is that MQA, at this time, wants completed unfolding done in the DAC, not an add on device.  Of course this is all by MQA design for the completion of DRM control. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #904 of 22,535

Yes absolutely, dual data mode works... Putting in a source switch colour (cyan) to indicate the dual data mode as I type.

I'm wondering about pre-ordering, so will all these updates to the production code be installed on the first units off the production line?
I wouldn't want to receive an early unit, and miss out on these enhanced features.

The last 8 weeks has been extremely busy - and what I have been doing is fine tuning the code to suit the resources of the FPGA. So it's about balancing the size of individual modules to obtain the overall best possible performance - and I have managed to improve things by quite a lot, with hundreds of listening to lots of different options. Frankly, I have tried everything I can, and because of the exhaustive nature of the fine tuning I do, there is nothing left to improve - without having much better hardware. So now I have used 100% of the memory, 100% of the DSP cores running at the fastest rate possible, and 98% of the logic.

So once I have finished, I will release production code and that will be the only code used on production units. The design will be archived, and I will then be free to go and concentrate on other projects. In terms of bugs and functional features, we have had 3 months extensively testing and using the units and have not found any bugs in usage.

So units that are available for sale will be production code only, there will be no changes. I would recommend pre-ordering though, Chord tell me initial demand has been immense. 

Rob

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #905 of 22,535
I'm owner of Mojo and waiting to try out Hugo 2 and using laptop USB as source.

Question about cleaning up USB signal:

Chord provides error correcting drivers so is it still possible that jitter, if any created, can cause audible errors? If jitter doesn't matter can a reclocking USB purifier make sound any better?
I read that RF noise from USB source can make almost any DAC sound worse and it should be filtered out but reclocking shouldn't have any effect in this case?

Where I live we have practically only Ifi products so I'm thinking between USB purifier 2 (no reclock) and iUSB3.0 (reclock).

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #907 of 22,535
I am organising the UK tour for Chord Hugo2. This will be along the same lines as @x RELIC x set up for Canada and I have shamelessly copied his formatting in the thread design - thanks again for that @x RELIC x.

Timescales for the Unit or Units to be available for review aren't yet known but I hope to learn more when I see the Chord guys at the Bristol show at the end of this week,

The U.K. Tour thread can be found in the link below. Please register your interest to be a reviewer there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/837708/official-chord-hugo-2-uk-tour-thread

Many thanks ........

PS - Edited to get @x RELIC x user name correct

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #908 of 22,535
The big difference in my book is the looks on Hugo2 vs DAVE sadly, but i know it will have a killer sound and with the option to add a external upcoming Hugo2-Streamer (a Poly but for Hugo)
( according to John Franks ) and a M Scaler that is remarkably good. :thumbsup:

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #910 of 22,535
  The last 8 weeks has been extremely busy - and what I have been doing is fine tuning the code to suit the resources of the FPGA. So it's about balancing the size of individual modules to obtain the overall best possible performance - and I have managed to improve things by quite a lot, with hundreds of listening to lots of different options. Frankly, I have tried everything I can, and because of the exhaustive nature of the fine tuning I do, there is nothing left to improve - without having much better hardware. So now I have used 100% of the memory, 100% of the DSP cores running at the fastest rate possible, and 98% of the logic.

So once I have finished, I will release production code and that will be the only code used on production units. The design will be archived, and I will then be free to go and concentrate on other projects. In terms of bugs and functional features, we have had 3 months extensively testing and using the units and have not found any bugs in usage.

So units that are available for sale will be production code only, there will be no changes. I would recommend pre-ordering though, Chord tell me initial demand has been immense. 

Rob

Thanks for that response Rob, I didn't realise that your final optimisations were so extensive.
I have followed your advice and pre-ordered a silver Hugo 2 - the dealer is discounting the silver version to the price of the Hugo, but the black version costs a lot more.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #911 of 22,535
Thanks for that response Rob, I didn't realise that your final optimisations were so extensive.
I have followed your advice and pre-ordered a silver Hugo 2 - the dealer is discounting the silver version to the price of the Hugo, but the black version costs a lot more.

So you are getting a silver Hugo for 2k or for the $1,500 the discounted Hugo currently goes for?

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #913 of 22,535
this can't be true? Different prices on the same product..?

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #914 of 22,535
this can't be true? Different prices on the same product..?

This AV chain often has different prices according to the surface finish/colour of equipment.

Also virtually all the posters on the Hugo 2 thread seem to be planning to order the black finish, so I can imagine that any AV chain that has planned large orders of Hugo 2s, would want to make sure that they can sell all the silver ones as well.
You often see attractive deals on some equipment - Hugo 2 seems to have generated a lot of interest, so a good deal on the silver ones, can draw the punters in, and suddenly they have also spent an additional €1000 on a pair of Focal Elear to use with the Hugo 2. 
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #915 of 22,535
Mike, that's bad luck for you: The first few silver Hugo²s have an old FPGA code lacking the revision with the dual-data mode.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back