Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #931 of 22,546
I pre-ordered a Hugo2 and sold my Hugo. I have been using the Hugo with Audiophilleo2 and PP, and Black Cat Silverstar SPDIF and USB cables. 
Now, on Hugo2, the inputs changed, and the digital RCA input has been replaced by a 3.5mm socket, for good reasons apparently. Nevertheless, I wonder, what is the best way to connect?
1) Buy a BNC-3.5mm adapter and keep using AP+PP and the cables.
2) Connect via USB using an Aqvox power supply to "isolate" from PC noise (mac mini)
3) Using an optical cable (Wireworld 7?)
I guess this is somewhat a tricky question, but any advice would be appreciated.
The arguments I came across: The AP+PP combo is redundant since neither Hugo nor Hugo2 have any jitter issues. Thus, galvanic isolation is the only thing needed, and the Aqvox (currently sitting in a box) seems to provide some equivalent functions. On the other hand, there are a number of reports that the route via AP+PP is beneficial and provides some additional magic to the sound.  And lastly using the optical input solves the issues for good as there is no electrical connection.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #932 of 22,546

The Chord dealer location link is below and I would have thought that's who you preorder with.

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/dealer-locator/?country=US

Alas, the only North America dealers listed are the Blue Bird folks up in Toronto/Niagra Falls (I'm guessing there's something wrong with the locator database).

For US-based folks, any go to dealers for Chord kit?  I (very happily) got my Mojo through amazon.de, and my usual dealer doesn't carry Chord equipment.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #933 of 22,546

Alas, the only North America dealers listed are the Blue Bird folks up in Toronto/Niagra Falls (I'm guessing there's something wrong with the locator database).

For US-based folks, any go to dealers for Chord kit?  I (very happily) got my Mojo through amazon.de, and my usual dealer doesn't carry Chord equipment.

I have ordered through Galen Carol (GCaudio.com) in the US, after recommendation here.  His rep for customer service has proven true.  I will get Hugo 2 and poly from him.  

On another note...

I also  had contacted him about the posts here  regarding the early silver units not being updated....

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #934 of 22,546
Audio 46 will let you preorder one. They have a store in Manhattan and a website online.

I don't know if they will honor it but search on 'Audio 46 coupon code'.  They have 5% off for new customers.

I have my doubts about its applicability with a pre-order but ya' never know.  

GCaudio.com has worked for me.  I like the site and the info (10 pages of "tips and tricks" at the website).  Owner has lots of years experience.  

Personally, its important to me that customer service  is responsive.  It shows a level of 'old school respect'   to prospective buyers may indicate the level of professionalism at the company.  I like the comfort of knowing a company's leadership can be trusted.  It is why many of us had the immediate reaction to the news of both Poly and Hugo 2 to purchase:

Chord's sterling reputation, through high quality and accessibility.  It breeds loyalty.  

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #935 of 22,546

yeah i'd prefer a US or UK vendor...that canadian bluebird place
charged alot for the chord extender kit (our 'rock bottom prices' ...lol)
...so instead ordered audio sanctuary in the UK.

we canucks get SO burned with our crapty dollar being 30% or more below the US greenback.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #936 of 22,546

Chord Announces Poly, Blu MkII and Hugo2

Mon, 30 Jan 2017
Chord Electronics today announced three new products expected to ship in April 2017. Please check back with this page as any updated information regarding pricing and availability will be posted here as soon as it becomes available.

Hugo 2

hugo2_wide.jpg

Hugo 2 is a powerful DAC and headphone amp that builds on the ground-breaking original Hugo.

Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters, have enabled the next-generation version, Hugo 2 which features substantially improved sonic performance and other new features.
Hugo 2 offers improved ease of use for both at home and on-the-go applications and its improved line-level operation and full-function remote control adds real flexibility in full-size and desktop systems.
Four digital inputs (optical, coaxial and HD USB) plus new extended-range Bluetooth are offered. Hugo 2 offers high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
A new four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control. For headphone-listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original.
Hugo 2 features Chord’s custom coded FPGA, 49,152 Taps, 7 hour battery life, 768kHz Micro USB input, 384kHz Coax Input, Native DSD support, DSD512 Native and supports headphones up to 800 Ohms.
Hugo 2 is expected to ship in April 2017 with an anticipated US retail price of $2,300.

Blu MkII

blu2_wide.jpg

The Blu MkII is a compact, FPGA-based upsampling CD transport which offers the world’s most advanced filter technology. Used with DAVE, the combination delivers class-leading CD sound quality and technical performance.
The Blu MkII upscaling CD transport sets new standards for CD sound quality by using the very latest FPGA technology to implement advanced proprietary filtering and upscaling techniques. This next-generation CD transport incorporates a powerful new FPGA core with extraordinary capability.
Blu MkII’s sophisticated WTA (Watts Transient Alignment) filtering and upscaling algorithms can output digital data at 705.6kHz (16 x CD’s 44.1kHz native resolution). When partnered with the DAVE DAC/preamp, with its 705.6kHz-capable digital inputs, the Blu MkII sets a new technical benchmark for CD performance, while redefining sound quality from the medium.
At the heart of the Blu MkII lies an enormously powerful Xilinx FPGA. Rob Watts’ (Chord’s Digital Design Consultant) has used this to create his exclusive WTA M-Scaler technology, which incorporates the most advanced filter of its kind in the world. The Xilinx FPGA has also enabled a key breakthrough in tap-length (the technical indicator of how complex the interpolation filter is) taking Blu MkII to an unprecedented 1,015,808 taps.
A comprehensive suite of high-performance connectivity is offered and the Blu MkII also features a BNC S/PDIF digital input, meaning that it can also be used a standalone high-performance upsampler, for use with other digital sources.
Further features include Chord Electronics’ legendary proprietary high-frequency switching power supply and a dedicated CD-only laser mechanism for an uncompromising performance.
Blu 2 is expected in ship in April. US retail price will be $9,988, and Canadian price will be $12,995.

Poly

poly_wide.jpg

Poly enables the Mojo headphone amp/DAC to function as a fully-fledged high-resolution wireless network music player, streamer and SD card playback device, with wireless playback and control from smartphones.
Poly is a revolutionary streaming module for Mojo and is based on a condensed high-level PC, with data server, DLNA receiver, Wi-Fi hub, Bluetooth module and SD card reader/player functionality, plus highly sophisticated software. Poly enables wireless audio playback from smartphones and for the first time, negates the need for a cable between the two devices.
Poly acts as a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hub and can access music in a number of ways including streaming over Wi-Fi, network storage devices (NAS) and collections stored on SD cards (using MPD). Bluetooth connectivity and AirPlay functionality provide real flexibility with smartphones and enable multiple Mojo/Poly combinations to be used throughout the home, providing a high-quality multi-room streaming playback solution.
Poly removes the original need for a wired link between the smartphone and Mojo, and is controlled wirelessly from Android and iOS apps on your phone. When connected to Mojo, Poly conveniently slips into pockets, bags and handbags — it doesn’t need to be hand-carried or regularly checked like other players.
Poly is compatible with the latest high-resolution-audio file types and supports PCM files up to 768kHz resolution and DSD64 to DSD512 (Octa-DSD). Poly’s high-quality SD card reader/player frees up smartphone memory and storage, so vast libraries no longer need be kept locally on phones.
Poly integrates with advanced music players such as Roon (excluding SD access) and supported file types (at the time of writing) include: ACC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, OGG VORBIS, ALAC, WMA and MP3. The device includes a rechargeable LiPo battery giving around nine hours playback from a sub-four-hour charge using the device’s fast-charging circuit; both Mojo and Poly can be simultaneously charged.
Poly 2 is expected in ship in April with a US retail price of approximately $600.

‹ Back

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #939 of 22,546

I think it is a case of incomplete data.

For France, the 'dealer' database has only contained the details of the 'national distributor' (located on the france/belgium border) for many months, and totally ignores the few dealers selling Chord equipment in the remainder of the country.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #940 of 22,546
Feb 22, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #941 of 22,546
Feb 22, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #942 of 22,546

Come on! Stop making me feel guilty!
redface.gif
Or is that a humorous tit-for-tat response?

I cancelled my non existent preorder and will wait this out. 

What do you mean by «this»? You know, I was just joking. You can preorder a silver or black Hugo² without having to worry. Don't wait for my green light!
biggrin.gif
That said: Maybe you're right, we better skip the first few batches, just in case that there will be some further improvements in hindsight! Maybe you even know something you're not allowed to talk about (?).
blink.gif
This Hugo² launch is becoming more and more suspect!

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #943 of 22,546
deadhorse.gif
I'm looking to sell my pre-order cue for Hugo 2 to the highest bidder.  I hear the first batch may have MQA instead of dual scaling. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #944 of 22,546

deadhorse.gif
I'm looking to sell my pre-order cue for Hugo 2 to the highest bidder.  I hear the first batch may have MQA instead of dual scaling. 

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back