Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 25, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #14,897 of 22,535
I see what you mean, unfinished product being released and it then needing upgrades to work properly, but thats not what I mean UE.

What I mean is, say I/we bought a dave, brand new and polished and working perfect. Then dave 2 comes out and it’s also perfect, but say I/we couldn’t afford to spend £8000 on a dave 2.

If chord had an upgrade program implemented, and offered us the chance to upgrade our daves for £2-4000. We basically get a dave 2 in perfect working order, but in a dave 1 case, and saving us thousands at the same time.

Thats how I see it working, plus it would bring in more money for chord, as every dave owner is a potential dave 2 buyer, and for every dave owner who doesnt buy a dave 2, thats lost revenue, which chord may be able claw back by enticing them to go for the upgrade kit.
Oh I get your meaning. But, as a non-expert in design and build, it would seem that Schiit products are, from what I've read, more or less modular in design. For most of their offerings, they state that one can upgrade yourself at your own risk; but it would be better to send it back to them.
Chord, on the other hand, comes out with totally new products, with completely new internals and, as @Triode User points out, new code to support the changes. I'd love a Chord product wherein I could swap out some board inside-even factory done-to save money. But, I don't think it would be the same company, if you know what I mean. I buy Chord, knowing that in 3-5 years, a new FPGA chip will come down in price enough to justify a complete model replacement. That is what I accept as a Chord customer.
Schiit, is able by their design, to offer pieces of incremental upgrades to their products, which is what Schiit customers accept. But, I do get what you're sayin'.
As an afterthought: I wonder, from the manufacturer's part, how much energy that is put into factory return upgrades bleeds from innovation and research into new products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #14,898 of 22,535
Oh I get your meaning. But, as a non-expert in design and build, it would seem that Schiit products are, from what I've read, more or less modular in design. For most of their offerings, they state that one can upgrade yourself at your own risk; but it would be better to send it back to them.
Chord, on the other hand, comes out with totally new products, with completely new internals and, as @Triode User points out, new code to support the changes. I'd love a Chord product wherein I could swap out some board inside-even factory done-to save money. But, I don't think it would be the same company, if you know what I mean. I buy Chord, knowing that in 3-5 years, a new FPGA chip will come down in price enough to justify a complete model replacement. That is what I accept as a Chord customer.
Schiit, is able by their design, to offer pieces of incremental upgrades to their products, which is what Schiit customers accept. But, I do get what you're sayin'.
As an afterthought: I wonder, from the manufacturer's part, how much energy that is put into factory return upgrades bleeds from innovation and research into new products.

Yeah, Schiit products are by design modular and can be upgraded by the end user, however I was thinking more along the lines of official chord upgrades done at the pump house, just a new replacement pcb/mainboard that would fit inside whatever case you had, tt, tt2, dave etc.

Nowadays everything seems to have a limited life span and it’s starting to get annoying. I saw this other company who do a similar thing as schiit, but it was modules that slotted into the back and it could be tailored to suit your needs.

It looked very nice and was like 4 units standing one on top of the other. I forgot the name but it looked cool, but it was pricey.

I’ve got a really sore head today, so I’m done with upgrading, I will stick to my record player and tape deck.

Can’t disagree more, PS Audio if offered as a finished product like Chord (I own both), the consumer would be forced to buy the next version when offered (like my Hugo II). While PS Audio gives free updates as new improvements are discovered. Go read the PS Audio blog, Ted their chief engineer, keeps working on lowering the noise floor and owners believe it is a great option and goes against the grain of continued obsolescence. So while the initial version could have been offered as a finished product we would probably be considering buying a “version 3” as improvements are introduced.
Since my chord is also fpga based I wish they would offer free easy upgrades that improve the sound like the DS Dac.

Yes I agree, I would also like free upgrades, but unless it’s just software those upgrades will never be free, and it’s not software upgrades that I’m speaking about, it’s hardware upgrades.

The replacement of the electronics inside of whatever device we own with newer upgraded version.

Flashing mojo or hugo would in my opinion not be worthwhile, I mean upgrading just the desktop devices.

Chord will probably not think about it, but if they did, it may work out to be a nice little earner for them.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #14,900 of 22,535
This is my end game setup. Didn’t know adding an amp wou;d get this wonderful result.

EC9BC304-74B1-437C-9651-81E50191A1BF.jpeg

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #14,902 of 22,535
This is my end game setup. Didn’t know adding an amp wou;d get this wonderful result.

Indeed. A few days ago I would have said that an amp could never improve on a Hugo2. Recent experiences have however led me to believe otherwise. Users of Hugo2 straight should take note. What amp is that by the way?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #14,903 of 22,535
@BryanNguyen which amplifier is?

Indeed. A few days ago I would have said that an amp could never improve on a Hugo2. Recent experiences have however led me to believe otherwise. Users of Hugo2 straight should take note. What amp is that by the way?

It s Emotiva A-100. Pretty neat can be both speaker amp and headphones amp.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #14,910 of 22,535
"Headphone output derived from the main amplifier outputs gives the A-100 a sound signature similar to popular vintage equipment, and plenty of power to drive even difficult to drive headphones."

Does it sound warm and cozy?

It is as described, very warm and cozy. I had the LCD-2C before, and listening that straight out of Hugo2 was very pleasant, warm and muscal. However due to the weight i switched to LCD-MX4.
I do missed the warm of LCD-2C, i thought i could live with that until the arrival of this amplifier. I usually listen with the green filter straight out of Hugo2, but with A-100 the neutrel filter is good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back