Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #14,866 of 22,546
You mean there won’t be a 4 million tap Dave 2, with support for 64 bit 1536khz and dsd 1024 files being released next year ?

Ahwell, looks like Dave owners can breathe again, safe in the knowledge that their dac is still numero uno.

Isn't it obvious? The next Dave will have an inbuilt Mscaler. It is a huge leap forward, so it only makes sense to include it. Current Dave owners can simply add the external Mscaler.

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #14,867 of 22,546
Isn't it obvious? The next Dave will have an inbuilt Mscaler. It is a huge leap forward, so it only makes sense to include it. Current Dave owners can simply add the external Mscaler.

Well it makes sense to consumers but it'll cannibalize Mscaler sales from a business perspective so doubt they'll do that.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #14,868 of 22,546
Well it makes sense to consumers but it'll cannibalize Mscaler sales from a business perspective so doubt they'll do that.

There are varying philosophies as to how business should be conducted. You can go for raw short term profit or you can look after your customers and build the popularity and reputation of your product over the long term.

From a business perspective I guess the more boxes you sell the better. I am just not sure that is what the customers want. Now that the Mscaler monster has been released, then the dac I really want is that dac that has the Mscaler inbuilt.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #14,869 of 22,546
News to me.
You mean there won’t be a 4 million tap Dave 2, with support for 64 bit 1536khz and dsd 1024 files being released next year ?

Ahwell, looks like Dave owners can breathe again, safe in the knowledge that their dac is still numero uno.
Oh dayamn! Hoped I'd be able to scoff a secondhand DAVE for a steal.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #14,870 of 22,546
There are varying philosophies as to how business should be conducted. You can go for raw short term profit or you can look after your customers and build the popularity and reputation of your product over the long term.

From a business perspective I guess the more boxes you sell the better. I am just not sure that is what the customers want. Now that the Mscaler monster has been released, then the dac I really want is that dac that has the Mscaler inbuilt.
I'm just hoping that after Britain regains it's sovereignty, maybe some of us will see prices reflected in better trade relations with their Commonwealth brothers, as in ACP status. But, I suspect that during the coming upheaval, the bottom line might have to be watched more closely.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #14,871 of 22,546
News to me.

Rob, it must be the new lad doing Dave 2 then that they have brought in to take over from you. Sorry you had to find out this way!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #14,872 of 22,546

No it’s not obvious, as Rob said the mscaler causes too much interference to be in a one box solution with a dac.

Maybe they have been able to figure it out, who knows ?

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #14,873 of 22,546
No it’s not obvious, as Rob said the mscaler causes too much interference to be in a one box solution with a dac.

Maybe they have been able to figure it out, who knows ?
Technology marches on, one day it will be in one box at a fraction of the price. But not today.

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #14,874 of 22,546
Technology marches on, one day it will be in one box at a fraction of the price. But not today.

Yeah maybe one day.

Built in obsolesence is great.

What would be great is, Chord building/sell upgrades for our dacs, which could either be done by the user or by sending our dacs back to the retailer to do it.

I would think that is a sizeable market, as how many people will buy every iteration of a product, example, tt tt2 tt3 etc etc. If a common chassis was made, maybe future chord dacs could be upgraded to, or near to, the performance of the newer product, but for much less cash ?

That would be cool and I’m positive that it would rake in the cash from dac owners who want to buy a new dac, but just don’t have the cash for one, but does have the cash for an upgrade ala schiit style,

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #14,875 of 22,546
Yeah maybe one day.

What would be great is, Chord building/sell upgrades for our dacs, which could either be done by the user or by sending our dacs back to the retailer to do it.

I would think that is a sizeable market, as how many people will buy every iteration of a product, example, tt tt2 tt3 etc etc. If a common chassis was made, maybe future chord dacs could be upgraded to, or near to, the performance of the newer product, but for much less cash ?

That would be cool and I’m positive that it would rake in the cash from dac owners who want to buy a new dac, but just don’t have the cash for one, but does have the cash for an upgrade ala schiit style,
Maybe, but then, Chord might have to rebuild their architecture from the ground up. PSAudio's Direct Stream DAC's early reviews were that they were nice, but not quite.... Then with each FW code update, they were improved. If you read the Stereophile DS review, they add an adendom when a new firmware is released. To sum up; it started as an unfinished product, that has been improved upon.
Meanwhile, the DAVE, admittedly at about twice the price, came out when its firmware was polished and finalized. Who's to say which is better? I like the Chord way, and a lot like the PS version of doing things. I, for one, like a finished product where I get all the features and specs for which I payed. My Questyle DAP, for another matter, was promised improvements with anticipated FW upgrades. But, I never got the most important upgrade for my needs (not wants), needs.
I'd rather get a finished product, than have to wait for necessary features and improvements that might never come.
I would think that veterans such as Jason and Mike from Schiit, could have the knowledge to produce products more completed, and with less need for labour-intensive factory returns for an incremental set of upgrades. I find it exciting when Chord comes out with a completely new design for a product line. Just my thoughts.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #14,876 of 22,546
Yeah maybe one day.

Upgrading would be great for these products. I have a Devialet expert, upgraded a couple of times now, and fully up-to-date. Linn does this as well, and Schitt as you mention.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #14,877 of 22,546
Count me out of this upgrade train. I would much rather buy a finished product that I can be satisfied with than setting myself up to be a cash cow for hifi manufacturers for years to come. That is why I am very picky about what I buy.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #14,878 of 22,546
Maybe, but then, Chord might have to rebuild their architecture from the ground up. PSAudio's Direct Stream DAC's early reviews were that they were nice, but not quite.... Then with each FW code update, they were improved. If you read the Stereophile DS review, they add an adendom when a new firmware is released. To sum up; it started as an unfinished product, that has been improved upon.
Meanwhile, the DAVE, admittedly at about twice the price, came out when its firmware was polished and finalized. Who's to say which is better? I like the Chord way, and a lot like the PS version of doing things. I, for one, like a finished product where I get all the features and specs for which I payed. My Questyle DAP, for another matter, was promised improvements with anticipated FW upgrades. But, I never got the most important upgrade for my needs (not wants), needs.
I'd rather get a finished product, than have to wait for necessary features and improvements that might never come.
I would think that veterans such as Jason and Mike from Schiit, could have the knowledge to produce products more completed, and with less need for labour-intensive factory returns for an incremental set of upgrades. I find it exciting when Chord comes out with a completely new design for a product line. Just my thoughts.

I see what you mean, unfinished product being released and it then needing upgrades to work properly, but thats not what I mean UE.

What I mean is, say I/we bought a dave, brand new and polished and working perfect. Then dave 2 comes out and it’s also perfect, but say I/we couldn’t afford to spend £8000 on a dave 2.

If chord had an upgrade program implemented, and offered us the chance to upgrade our daves for £2-4000. We basically get a dave 2 in perfect working order, but in a dave 1 case, and saving us thousands at the same time.

Thats how I see it working, plus it would bring in more money for chord, as every dave owner is a potential dave 2 buyer, and for every dave owner who doesnt buy a dave 2, thats lost revenue, which chord may be able claw back by enticing them to go for the upgrade kit.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #14,880 of 22,546
Maybe a trade in program would be nice. Seems they are upgrading way too often. I bought my TT last Feb and with barely a couple months use they announce the TT2. Spec envy I guess. I still feel the TT is more musical (my term, not quantifiable) than my H2 btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back