Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #14,881 of 22,535
If it works with the mscaler next to dave in 2 boxes, then it can easily work in one box if it is designed with the correct internal shielding.

Easily ?

As far as I know, a one box solution has been pondered and rejected due to interference.

Plus why would they want to make a one or two box solution, doing that negates the need to buy an mscaler. It’s better for Chord to keep it as a seperate device, that way they net 2 sales when someone buys one of their high ends dacs.

I just don’t think it’s as easy as putting things in seperate boxes, but who knows, maybe it will work.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #14,882 of 22,535
Easily ?

As far as I know, a one box solution has been pondered and rejected due to interference.

Plus why would they want to make a one or two box solution, doing that negates the need to buy an mscaler. It’s better for Chord to keep it as a seperate device, that way the net 2 sales when someone buys one of their high ends dacs.

I just don’t think it’s as easy as putting things in seperate boxes, but who knows, maybe it will work.

Also, if we have the situation where the dual bnc connecting cables sound better if they are 2m length rather than 1m (which they do) then we actually might well have worse sound by using a short link within the same box (even if the discrete components were screened from each other).

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #14,883 of 22,535
Also, if we have the situation where the dual bnc connecting cables sound better if they are 2m length rather than 1m (which they do) then we actually might well have worse sound by using a short link within the same box (even if the discrete components were screened from each other).

Interesting. So do 4m length dual bnc connecting cables sound better or worse than 2m?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #14,884 of 22,535
Interesting. So do 4m length dual bnc connecting cables sound better or worse than 2m?

Not tried that yet, only tried up to 2m so far but it is corroborated by Rob Watts.

Edit to say better as in darker, smoother and less fatiguing.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #14,885 of 22,535

Yup, thats one more problem that would need solving before a one box solution happens.

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #14,886 of 22,535
Yup, thats one more problem that would need solving before a one box solution happens.

Or perhaps let’s say an opportunity to optimise the sound that would be lost by a one box.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #14,887 of 22,535
I see what you mean, unfinished product being released and it then needing upgrades to work properly, but thats not what I mean UE.

What I mean is, say I/we bought a dave, brand new and polished and working perfect. Then dave 2 comes out and it’s also perfect, but say I/we couldn’t afford to spend £8000 on a dave 2.

If chord had an upgrade program implemented, and offered us the chance to upgrade our daves for £2-4000. We basically get a dave 2 in perfect working order, but in a dave 1 case, and saving us thousands at the same time.

Thats how I see it working, plus it would bring in more money for chord, as every dave owner is a potential dave 2 buyer, and for every dave owner who doesnt buy a dave 2, thats lost revenue, which chord may be able claw back by enticing them to go for the upgrade kit.
Can’t disagree more, PS Audio if offered as a finished product like Chord (I own both), the consumer would be forced to buy the next version when offered (like my Hugo II). While PS Audio gives free updates as new improvements are discovered. Go read the PS Audio blog, Ted their chief engineer, keeps working on lowering the noise floor and owners believe it is a great option and goes against the grain of continued obsolescence. So while the initial version could have been offered as a finished product we would probably be considering buying a “version 3” as improvements are introduced.
Since my chord is also fpga based I wish they would offer free easy upgrades that improve the sound like the DS Dac.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #14,888 of 22,535
Can’t disagree more, PS Audio if offered as a finished product like Chord (I own both), the consumer would be forced to buy the next version when offered (like my Hugo II). While PS Audio gives free updates as new improvements are discovered. Go read the PS Audio blog, Ted their chief engineer, keeps working on lowering the noise floor and owners believe it is a great option and goes against the grain of continued obsolescence. So while the initial version could have been offered as a finished product we would probably be considering buying a “version 3” as improvements are introduced.
Since my chord is also fpga based I wish they would offer free easy upgrades that improve the sound like the DS Dac.

I see where you are coming from. However the difference to my ears is that Rob Watts nails it with his final released version of the firmware whereas others keep needing to have another go at it because they didn’t get it right first time (or even second time, or third, or fourth time).

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #14,889 of 22,535
I see where you are coming from. However the difference to my ears is that Rob Watts nails it with his final released version of the firmware whereas others keep needing to have another go at it because they didn’t get it right first time (or even second time, or third, or fourth time).
A better way of putting it. That's what I was trying to say.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #14,890 of 22,535
A better way of putting it. That's what I was trying to say.
Not disputing just curious, then that means Hugo 1 and 2, Dave 1 and 2 will sound the same and changes are just aesthetic or alterations in inputs or controls, because sound wise via firmware was endgame on initial product? That’s where I’m getting lost...
On a different note took my Hugo2 over a friend’s house who is a high end distributor and we faced off against some of his very expensive high end DACs on his big rig featuring the big Maggies and Jeff Rowland mono bloc amps and preamp. The Hugo fared very well, wish we had a Dave in the house...

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #14,891 of 22,535
Not disputing just curious, then that means Hugo 1 and 2, Dave 1 and 2 will sound the same and changes are just aesthetic or alterations in inputs or controls, because sound wise via firmware was endgame on initial product? That’s where I’m getting lost...
On a different note took my Hugo2 over a friend’s house who is a high end distributor and we faced off against some of his very expensive high end DACs on his big rig featuring the big Maggies and Jeff Rowland mono bloc amps and preamp. The Hugo fared very well, wish we had a Dave in the house...

Did you have an mscaler?

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #14,892 of 22,535
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #14,893 of 22,535

What you are forgetting is that they all have different electronics internally (even if based on the same theme) and that is why they sound different. Also, because of the hardware differences they all need a customised version of the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back