Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 7, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #14,746 of 22,475
@JaZZ
May I ask you a favor if you don't mind..
I'd like to share one song with you, and when you have time, could you listen it directly form Dave and Hugo2 and share what you heard?
I am very courious...

PS. If anybody with Hugo 2 and other DAC to compare have a minute to make this A/B test, please let me know.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #14,747 of 22,475
BTW, which firmware are you running your X5 II with? Mine has the final 2.1 version – more precisely a «light» variant of it. And does your Hugo₂ behave the same with your X3 II?

@JaZZ
May I ask you a favor if you don't mind..
I'd like to share one song with you, and when you have time, could you listen it directly form Dave and Hugo2 and share what you heard?
I am very courious...

PS. If anybody with Hugo 2 and other DAC to compare have a minute to make this comparison, please let me know.
Can you post a link – maybe via PM?

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #14,748 of 22,475
@JaZZ
I have this difference from both Fii5II and Fiio3II.
Will reply with FW ver. later...
PM send :wink:
thank you

PS while you listen it.. i am less interested in how much bass or highs whatewer is there.. but mainly how you "feel" this song.. scene and space. And what is differenace compare to Hugo 2... thx

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #14,749 of 22,475
@stereog, @JaZZ: A thought of mine, please, wrt the debate on DoP versus D2P sound quality. I did say what I think on DSD versus DoP.

The D2P is calculated by some algorithm in the audio player (foobar2000, Roon, MPD, whatsoever) or in the DAP (FiiO). So the algorithm type - which is sort of a resampler - plays a role. We know how different the distortions from various standard PCM-to-PCM resamplers are. Maybe this holds for DSD-to-D2P, too. And we know that some ”distortion“ do appear more likeable to some people - not a problem at all, just a matter of taste.

I still dare to doubt that our Hugo 2‘s play a detrimental role in all that, though - caveat - without having done a DoP or native DSD to D2P comparison yet.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #14,750 of 22,475
I keep thinking of file sources for the Hugo 2 and Mojo, and need advice please.

One idea for a desktop is the Novafidelity X14, which has up to 8TB hard drive storage. This type of idea fits so many of needs on my list of wants. Like it has masses of storage, and it does internet radio and you can record that. Internet radio will give me better radio than my DAB/FM tuner. (Although FM may be better.) Not that I listen to radio much. ..... My question about this type of gadget is in the file support. The Richer Sounds website states: "For the highest quality sound, 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Res music files in WAV and FLAC formats are supported."... However, even though I would be using the device as file source, radio source etc. Does it mean that is could not process higher bit rate and higher sample rate music. I understand that it can not process music at a higher rate than that itself. *Unless it probably down samples the music.) Could it feed out higher resolution music to the Hugo 2?

I understand the best idea might be to contact the manufacturer, but I figured someone here may have a clue.

Secondly I keep thinking about the Amazon Fire HD tablet for a portable 'about the home' file source. It is likely to play FLAC files as the Amazon Music app does. Although I would be looking to buy USB Audio Player Pro. That's much my question, in that would I be able to buy and run UAPP on it. It uses a version of Android I think. ... Again the question of file resolution. Can you run files of higher resolution, than the tablet can play, out of the USB to a DAC?

By the way, I just came across a jazz album that took me by surprise. It's mostly covers, but she does some original work of her own. I am right now only on track seven of eleven, but totally convinced. (I never really got into jazz any more than Norah Jones' forays, and Lake Street Dive.)
Arianna Neikrug – Changes

Review of album. https://www.highresaudio.com/en/review/arianna-neikrug-changes_1

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #14,751 of 22,475
@stereog, @JaZZ: ... ... ... I still dare to doubt that our Hugo 2‘s play a detrimental role in all that, though - caveat - without having done a DoP or native DSD to D2P comparison yet.

Another possibility that I ALMOST DO NOT DARE TO MENTION AND ASK @Rob Watts: Are the PCM-to-analogue and DSD-to-analogue algorithms in the Hugo 2 FPGA of comparable quality (truthfulness and musicality), or is one of them inferior to the other? The discussion above has one voter for DSD-to-analogue being inferior (since he/she feels D2P sounding better than DoP or native DSD), and several others (me included) voting for comparability.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #14,752 of 22,475
Thanks for your enlightening post, 111MilesToGo!

I'm realizing that we have different versions of the DSD plugin, so I'm not of help any further. Since I'm not interested in DSD (which makes equalizing impossible), I won't update.

Do you remember that my Hugo₂ plays DoP fine from the X5 II? So how can you insist that the Hugo₂ isn't capable of playing DoP!

I'm beginning to suspect that you're effectively baffled by the change of volume that DoP introduces (which is normal!) compared to D2P, combined with the leaner, cooler sound.
You've always been helpful for me. I've been re-evaluating the necessity of DSD. My thoughts are that the SACD came along when some wanted better than 44.1K. But now that higher bitrates are available in .PCM,I wonder if DSD is really necessary anymore. And I do like what the EQ's can do for my Audezes.
The Thing is, that I have a fair amount of DSD already, and unlike a lot of the H2 followers, I believe in hi-res in general; lineage proven.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #14,753 of 22,475
Another possibility that I ALMOST DO NOT DARE TO MENTION AND ASK @Rob Watts: Are the PCM-to-analogue and DSD-to-analogue algorithms in the Hugo 2 FPGA of comparable quality (truthfulness and musicality), or is one of them inferior to the other? The discussion above has one voter for DSD-to-analogue being inferior (since he/she feels D2P sounding better than DoP or native DSD), and several others (me included) voting for comparability.
I'm not sure which was designed better. But, as I may have said somewhere earlier; I remember reading a RW post, where he reportively stated that the implementation of DSD in the Hugo2 was more advanced than that in the DAVE. I find DSD to be clean and spacious with H2.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #14,754 of 22,475
... ... The Thing is, that I have a fair amount of DSD already, and unlike a lot of the H2 followers, I believe in hi-res in general; lineage proven.

I'm not sure which was designed better. But, as I may have said somewhere earlier; I remember reading a RW post, where he reportively stated that the implementation of DSD in the Hugo2 was more advanced than that in the DAVE. I find DSD to be clean and spacious with H2.

+1 on both statements.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #14,755 of 22,475

The DSD filter in Hugo 2 is the best I have - it betters Dave's DSD+ mode even. The path post filter is then identical to PCM or DSD...

This filter is way more advanced and capable of any DSD to PCM conversion utility or the D2P, as it runs at 705.6 kHz, and is > 220dB filtering with advanced noise shaping.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #14,756 of 22,475

The DSD filter in Hugo 2 is the best I have - it betters Dave's DSD+ mode even. The path post filter is then identical to PCM or DSD...

This filter is way more advanced and capable of any DSD to PCM conversion utility or the D2P, as it runs at 705.6 kHz, and is > 220dB filtering with advanced noise shaping.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #14,757 of 22,475
To answer my own question I asked last week here, the new iPads with USB C connectors do not need a dongle to play with Chord devices. I played with no problems via a Belkin USB C to micro USB cable and the Mojo and Hugo 2 lit up and played instantly. I also tried it with my Shure KSE1500 and again it worked flawlessly.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #14,758 of 22,475

Thank you so much for this clear statement.

If you permit, I would like to ask one more question, even though you might not bet the most appropriate person, @Rob Watts. I am looking for a way to convince Chord to get native DSD capability into Linux (servers and standalone system), cf. this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-982#post-14581748

I hope to have given sufficient reasoning and usage cases in that post, plus some references as to what little it might take. Nothing close to developing a Windows driver!

Me and probably many others would be awfully grateful if Linux could handle native DSD to Chord DACS some day. It works for XMOS-based devices and more, e.g. IIRC iFi‘s.

Thanks a lot in advance if you could help with that at Chord.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #14,759 of 22,475
Thank you so much for this clear statement.

If you permit, I would like to ask one more question, even though you might not bet the most appropriate person, @Rob Watts. I am looking for a way to convince Chord to get native DSD capability into Linux (servers and standalone system), cf. this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-982#post-14581748

I hope to have given sufficient reasoning and usage cases in that post, plus some references as to what little it might take. Nothing close to developing a Windows driver!

Me and probably many others would be awfully grateful if Linux could handle native DSD to Chord DACS some day. It works for XMOS-based devices and more, e.g. IIRC iFi‘s.

Thanks a lot in advance if you could help with that at Chord.
Not sure, but isn't Lynux user-developed? I thought Linux was improved by the people that use it;; i.e. open source. Maybe some of the people on Computer AudioFile might have some ideas. Just a thought.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #14,760 of 22,475
Not sure, but isn't Lynux user-developed? I thought Linux was improved by the people that use it;; i.e. open source. Maybe some of the people on Computer AudioFile might have some ideas. Just a thought.
Yes, linux is open-source.
Chord also do not have any in-house software developers, which is one reason that they outsourced the Poly software development.
I think @111MilesToGo is being optimistic, if he expects Chord to drive the linux development, for other companies products.
Also if the millions of linux users worldwide, have not already developed code for native DSD capability into Linuxservers, it suggests that it is either difficult, or considered a very low priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back