Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #14,761 of 22,475
Another possibility that I ALMOST DO NOT DARE TO MENTION AND ASK @Rob Watts: Are the PCM-to-analogue and DSD-to-analogue algorithms in the Hugo 2 FPGA of comparable quality (truthfulness and musicality), or is one of them inferior to the other? The discussion above has one voter for DSD-to-analogue being inferior (since he/she feels D2P sounding better than DoP or native DSD), and several others (me included) voting for comparability.

I can’t be 100% positive but I think I saw somewhere that said said DSD is inferior to PCM on Chord’s dacs.

It was just something I seem to recall and I cannot say with 100% certainty that it is true.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #14,762 of 22,475
I can’t be 100% positive but I think I saw somewhere that said said DSD is inferior to PCM on Chord’s dacs.

It was just something I seem to recall and I cannot say with 100% certainty that it is true.
I think it was said that DSD is inferior to PCM for technical reasons that are beyond me. That's the general belief of the Chord family and followers of Chord products. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong. It has been explained why there are good reasons for that fact. But, I think my Hugo2 does a great job with the DSD I have; so clear and clean!
I also understand and support the goal to get the most out of 44.1K, and that RW's codes and Chord's designs really do it for me. But, if I know that I can get a legitimately sourced and mastered hi-res version of music, I will. One example would be Mark Knopfler's music; Tracker (2015) for sure. I bought the CD when it came out, and then, discovered that it was available only in 24/192 on HDTracks or something. It sounded to me as if it was played more in an open room than did the CD.
And don't give me that guff about A/B blind testing. I'm already doing it. :D

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #14,763 of 22,475

I am finding the discussion rather abstract. You think you saw something somewhere that said something? How about just giving it a listen? Do you hear a difference between DSD and PCM on Chord dacs, and if so, what?

I encourage people to enjoy the music produced by this wonderful equipment rather than getting bogged down in technicalities. I was as guilty as anyone of focusing too much on technical minutiae, but I am now past it and I simply enjoy music.

I highly recommend Tidal music streaming. You do have to pay for it, but it is in my opinion an incredible bargain.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #14,764 of 22,475
I am finding the discussion rather abstract. You think you saw something somewhere that said something? How about just giving it a listen? Do you hear a difference between DSD and PCM on Chord dacs, and if so, what?

I encourage people to enjoy the music produced by this wonderful equipment rather than getting bogged down in technicalities. I was as guilty as anyone of focusing too much on technical minutiae, but I am now past it and I simply enjoy music.

I highly recommend Tidal music streaming. You do have to pay for it, but it is in my opinion an incredible bargain.

No, I don’t think, I know I saw something here, maybe not this thread, but it was here and it was about PCM being the superior playback option.

I don’t care about technicalities, I thought I made that clear in another thread last night. What sounds good to me, is what I like, regardless if its the best playback option or the worst. As you mention, people get bogged down with technicalities, but I’m not one of them. I’m just as happy listening to 16bit 44.1khz files as I’am 24bit 192khz files.

I would test dsd if I could, but I have like 2 dsd files to test with and they are about 30 seconds long. At this moment in time DSD does nothing for me, once it becomes more popular/widespread, my stance may change.

I do have tidal, I use Roon with tidal intergrated, it is good, but I can’t wait for qobuz to be intergrated into roon, or whatever it is that they are planning.

I was just throwing it out there that I saw something which seemed to suggest that PCM was superiror to DSD on Chord Dac, but I have no idea if it is infact true.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #14,765 of 22,475
No, I don’t think, I know I saw something here, maybe not this thread, but it was here and it was about PCM being the superior playback option.

I don’t care about technicalities, I thought I made that clear in another thread last night. What sounds good to me, is what I like, regardless if its the best playback option or the worst. As you mention, people get bogged down with technicalities, but I’m not one of them. I’m just as happy listening to 16bit 44.1khz files as I’am 24bit 196khz files.

I would test dsd if I could, but I have like 2 dsd files to test with and they are about 30 seconds long. At this moment in time DSD does nothing for me, once it becomes more popular/widespread, my stance may change.

I do have tidal, I use Roon with tidal intergrated, it is good, but I can’t wait for qobuz to be intergrated into roon, or whatever it is that they are planning.

I was just throwing it out there that I saw something which seemed to suggest that PCM was superiror to DSD on Chord Dac, but I have no idea if it is infact true.

Thanks for clearing that up. You can't wait for qobuz? Seriously?

https://www.whathifi.com/qobuz/review

Luckily I have no need for roon, so I don't use that either.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #14,766 of 22,475
I keep thinking of file sources for the Hugo 2 and Mojo, and need advice please.

One idea for a desktop is the Novafidelity X14, which has up to 8TB hard drive storage. This type of idea fits so many of needs on my list of wants. Like it has masses of storage, and it does internet radio and you can record that. Internet radio will give me better radio than my DAB/FM tuner. (Although FM may be better.) Not that I listen to radio much. ..... My question about this type of gadget is in the file support. The Richer Sounds website states: "For the highest quality sound, 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Res music files in WAV and FLAC formats are supported."... However, even though I would be using the device as file source, radio source etc. Does it mean that is could not process higher bit rate and higher sample rate music. I understand that it can not process music at a higher rate than that itself. *Unless it probably down samples the music.) Could it feed out higher resolution music to the Hugo 2?

I understand the best idea might be to contact the manufacturer, but I figured someone here may have a clue.

Secondly I keep thinking about the Amazon Fire HD tablet for a portable 'about the home' file source. It is likely to play FLAC files as the Amazon Music app does. Although I would be looking to buy USB Audio Player Pro. That's much my question, in that would I be able to buy and run UAPP on it. It uses a version of Android I think. ... Again the question of file resolution. Can you run files of higher resolution, than the tablet can play, out of the USB to a DAC?

By the way, I just came across a jazz album that took me by surprise. It's mostly covers, but she does some original work of her own. I am right now only on track seven of eleven, but totally convinced. (I never really got into jazz any more than Norah Jones' forays, and Lake Street Dive.)
Arianna Neikrug – Changes

Review of album. https://www.highresaudio.com/en/review/arianna-neikrug-changes_1

Interesting chat with Rob last week, I said I had failed to hear a better source than my DAPs into Hugo 2, Hugo 1 and the TT I had for review. He was not surprised and said keep it simple , battery operated units like his phone, DAPs etc are a perfect source. I operate my Hugo 2/AK SE100 via my iPad as a controller, using AK's superb Connect software, and it can play anything from the DAP, usually FLACs, or streamed from my NAS drive. Also offline Tidal if I wished. So simplicity at source, but control much like a dedicated server.

I considered a server, looked at Auralic Aries models, but after our chat realised little benefit. Hope that just gives food for thought.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #14,767 of 22,475
BTW, which firmware are you running your X5 II with? Mine has the final 2.1 version – more precisely a «light» variant of it. And does your Hugo₂ behave the same with your X3 II?

The same X5II FW2.1...

I said I had failed to hear a better source than my DAPs into Hugo 2, Hugo 1 and the TT I had for review.

I am more then agree! DAP is perfect source.. I like my Fiio for simplicity, mechanical wheels 2 SD card slots and supporting formats flac, DSD, ISO.. no problem. For NAS server streaming, Android (USB Pro Player, Netron) or Iphone (Netron) serve very well. Perfect apps that support Hugo perfectly.
You mention Hugo 2, Hugo 1 and the TT review.. I am very intresting to read it. Is it ready and avalable? Thank you

20181106_205549.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #14,768 of 22,475
Thanks for clearing that up. You can't wait for qobuz? Seriously?

https://www.whathifi.com/qobuz/review

Luckily I have no need for roon, so I don't use that either.

Yes it is expensive, i agree, it’s not something that I’m keen on but I just want to have it for access to tunes that tidal does not have.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #14,769 of 22,475
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #14,770 of 22,475
Robb the server killer, lol. Has no one ever tried antipodes? Concerning dsd vs pcm seems to be a preference thing on DX. I prefer pcm, more throaty bass less air and separation of dsd, but there is no winners or losers here

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #14,771 of 22,475
Robb the server killer, lol. Has no one ever tried antipodes? Concerning dsd vs pcm seems to be a preference thing on DX. I prefer pcm, more throaty bass less air and separation of dsd, but there is no winners or losers here

No, but that "Chord Sarum T digital Super Aray USB" must be full of some magical juice. What does it do for £2100?

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #14,772 of 22,475
It automatically dispenses skittles like a rainbow

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #14,773 of 22,475
No, but that "Chord Sarum T digital Super Aray USB" must be full of some magical juice. What does it do for £2100?

It opens the metal shield on the stargate.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #14,774 of 22,475
well after it produces a RF wave that engulfs your DAC, turns it all shiny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back